I think we may have conquered Seperation Anxiety! :)

galaxy

Visit site
Feeling very proud of my boy!

Apart from a big blip earlier in the year, H has always been ok left at home. The blip earlier in the year made us totally rethink everything and thanks to a lot of help from Cayla that has been resolved for a while.

However away from home he has always been really insecure and unsettled. When we stay away we always let him sleep on the floor in our room or he howls all night. Then we went for a weekend away without him in June and he stayed with my friend whose house he had only been to once. Due to what had happened earlier in the year he went with his crate etc. I had warned them he would likely scream the house down and she was prepared to sleep on the sofa with him! (GOOD friend!) Well I got a text saying he had put himself to bed and they had woken him up at 6.30am! Not a peep! I was shocked!

Then this week I was teaching away a PC Camp and staying with my parents and H had to be with me for 2 nights. I dreaded it as my parents are not doggy people and my dad is allergic so H is confined to strictly non-carpetted areas which always creates whining.... Added complication is my parents have tenants in an annex over part of their house so H really cannot disturb them! 2 years ago he had slept downstairs in his crate and I woke in the night to him sreaming in a right state. Did not go down well with the parents and the few times I have stayed there since with him I have been on a mattress on the floor!

However Camp is a long week and I really needed good sleep. So after the success at my friends I set the crate up in part of the house not under the annex.

My tactic was to let him go into his crate of his own accord as he did at my friends. Luckily my parents go to bed REALLY early so I then sat in the semi dark downstairs and after 20 mins he put himself to bed. Few minutes later I quietly shut the door! Didn't hear a peep from him until 6am!!!! I did then go down to him, but I was so thrilled with my SUCCESS!!!

So pleased with him! Feels like a huge breakthrough! My tactic now will always be to set up a quiet environment before bedtime and for him to put himself in.

Sorry.... that was quite long! Am just so pleased!!!!!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Well done, you got good advice and you acted on it , not everbody does.It sounds like you have worked very hard with Harley and you have been under a lot of stress.

You have every right to be proud not only of Harley but of yourself, well done again.:)

galaxy

Visit site
Thanks dg :)

We did work really hard at it. It wasn't easy at times and did stress me out. But I was so lucky that Cayla laid it out very clearly and luckily we saw results however small fairly soon which always helps!!!

The sleeping alone in strange houses is just an added bonus that I hadn't expected!! :) :)

CAYLA

Visit site
Ah....but you know the beauty of sharing advice with you is that "you listen" and you act upon it:)I wish all I dealt with where like you. Even when I told you to hop on a bike (you did it), you are a dream doggy mammy and you will do whatever it takes to work with an issue:) that pooch of yours is a lucky lucky boy:)

galaxy

Visit site
Aww thanks Cayla!!! It's probably because I know what it's like giving advice and then being ignored!!! Lol!