I want to breed a chestnut foal

laa666

Visit site
I would like to ask all you experts how to breed a chestnut foal. I know some of you will think me nuts, but I love chestnuts. Have tried 3 times now and they have all come out bay !!! Can anybody recommend a chestnut SJ stallion that has had a lot of chestnut offsprings or should I just go out and buy a chestnut foal and not bother to try and breed one ?

laa666

Visit site
I tend to agree with you, but she is a good mare and I would have liked to keep her line going, have to find SJ stallion anyway and would have been nice if could get a chestnut, only breed for our own use.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Laa, what colour is your mare?

If she does not carry the chestnut gene then she can never produce a chestnut foal. However her offspring may be able to in the future if you breed her to a chestnut stallion

Bearskin

Visit site
I have four chestnut mares. Do you want to borrow one? Mind you, I suspect that if they left my yard they would do nothing but produce bay colts!

laa666

Visit site
my mare is bay, her mother chestnut and her sire was bay but he was by the stallion Zeus (chestnut),

laa666

Visit site
volatis, mare was chestnut (her three sisters were chestnut) we used our stallion, he was bay but his sire was chestnut and we got a bay filly. Its the bay filly I now want to put in foal.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
I'd like to breed a few more chestnuts too! I've managed 1 in about 6 years - and that was out of a bay mare by a grey stallion who has thrown every colour, although a LOT of greys!

A chestnut mare to him threw grey, dark brown, grey, grey (the greys born black!)
Another chestnut mare put to a dark brown stallion threw bay.
And a bay mare to the grey had bay, grey, grey, and that elusive chestnut!

ButI do have 3 chestnut mares in foal to him this year so ...... what's the betting it will be 3 greys?

Clover Flush is standing at Ard Cherrymount Stud in 2010 - he is available by AI butdon't know whether they ship semen to the UK. e-mail is info@irelandhorse.com and website is http://www.irelandhorse.com/Main%20pages/cherrymount.htm (it's the most AGGRAVATING site and drives my security mad with Java warnings!)

Also, have a look at Diamond Design - another chestnut with KoD lines. A much younger stallion so not got the big competition record yet but very promising and a good family! He's RID rather than ISH but there's not a lot in it - Clover Flush is almost pure-bred ID (about 7/8ths!) http://www.ballinteggartstud.com/showstallion.php?jid=23

I have a full sister to Diamond Design's dam - she's chestnut too - and has a full brother Drumri who is A Grade, and throwing jumping stock too (he's bay though).

[ QUOTE ]
mare was chestnut (her three sisters were chestnut) we used our stallion, he was bay but his sire was chestnut and we got a bay filly. Its the bay filly I now want to put in foal.

[/ QUOTE ]

koeffee

Visit site
My stallion throws mostly chestnut out of various coloured mares! Just as well i like them.also a stallion my amino is in foal to has only ever had one bay foal the rest were chestnut foal's.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
In that case you have a 50% chance of breeding a chestnut foal from her, if you use a chestnut stallion.

Chestnut is a recessive gene. A chestnut stallion has 2, whereas your bay mare only has 1, inherited from her chestnut dam.

If you breed your mare to a chestnut stallion, he will definatly pass on his chestnut gene. Then you just have to hope she passes on her chestnut gene too. If she passes on her black gene (ignoring the modifiers that will turn a foal bay etc) then the foal will have the same geneotype as her - 1 black and 1 red, but physically the red will be hidden, and the foal will be black/bay/brown

levantosh

www.levantosportshorses.co.uk
I would like to breed a chestnut too, but I think the mare will only produce bays/blacks. She has had 6 foals by bay and chestnut stallions, and all brown/dark. The last foal by a chestnut stallion was born with silver legs black dorsal stripe and zebra marks, he has now turned completely black. If you want a certain sex/colour best to buy one. Balou du rouet seems to sire quite a lot of chestnuts.

xena_wales

Visit site
It doesn't matter if the stallion has 100% chestnut offspring - it's not him that's rolling the dice - it's your mare. As been said, use a chestnut stallion and you have a 50% chance of a chestnut foal, and that's the best odds you can get with her.

janeprince

Visit site
Hi

The only way I know of that you will definitely get a chestnut foal,

Buy a Suffolk punch Broodmare in foal to a Suffolk Punch Stallion.

Your definitely get a chestnut.

Sorry thats not helpful but from the replies already received I think you must be nearly convinced it will be pure fluke getting one from your mare.

regards

Jane

competitiondiva

Visit site
Well start with my luck!!! Put a black mare to a bay stallion and got a chestnut!!!!! hahaha, obviously recessive chestnut gene on both sides!!

But have you considered 'It's the business', SJ chestnut stallion????

shirleyno2

Visit site
You might get one of these:
DSC00255.jpg

If you use Warrior!!!:
IMG_3208.jpg

He had mostly chestnuts last year, 1 bay, 1 coloured [out of bay and coloured mares!]
There are more pics here;
http://horsebreeders.myfastforum.org/about5161.html

Please feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

laa666

Visit site
voltais. Many tks for all info, very interesting. I think will just give up and find a nice stallion with good breeding and if i get a chestnut, will be a plus. Will just have to be happy with 2 black and 5 bays !

laa666

Visit site
ssjez Warrior lovely stallion, my black mare by Burggraaf out of Nimmador mare, but like TANGELO, Didnt realise how many nice stallions there are out there. Might just buy a nice youngster that is chestnut, then will deff. have a chestnut.

cruiseline

www.ipcmedia.com
[ QUOTE ]
Balou du rouet seems to sire quite a lot of chestnuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 3 Balou Du Rouet fillies, 1 chestnut (out of a chestnut/grey mare) and 2 bays (out of a bay mare).

Warrior is a lovely stallion with some stunning babies on the ground.

grin.gif

Eothain

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Clover Flush is standing at Ard Cherrymount Stud in 2010 - he is available by AI butdon't know whether they ship semen to the UK. e-mail is info@irelandhorse.com and website is http://www.irelandhorse.com/Main%20pages/cherrymount.htm (it's the most AGGRAVATING site and drives my security mad with Java warnings!)

Also, have a look at Diamond Design - another chestnut with KoD lines. A much younger stallion so not got the big competition record yet but very promising and a good family! He's RID rather than ISH but there's not a lot in it - Clover Flush is almost pure-bred ID (about 7/8ths!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but there's a huge difference between Clover Flush and Diamond Design.

Clover Flush has won World Cup qualifiers, been named as first reserve for the Australian Olympic team in 2000 and jumped around the Hickstead Derby course. Well most of it! He got to the bank, jumped off it and did in his suspensory. He has already sired a National Grand Prix winner here in Ireland and considering there was only 1 foal registered by him before he went Down Under, thats a 100% strike rate. If you sit down and work out the percentage thoroughbred in him, you'll see he's around 50% ID, 50% thoroughbred.

Diamond Design is another ID stallion that people will latch on to and will jump to a certain level before running out of scope as most ID stallions do.
The ID horse is not a breed. It is a type and as soon as people realise that, the better. Under current rules, neither the King Of Diamonds or Clover Hill would be accepted as a stallion!!! Which is ironic because without those two horses, the ID would be even more of a relic than it already is. I'm an ID fan, but a realistic one and will never in my life breed to an ID stallion again. They have no purpose, no place in the breeding programs for modern Sport Horses.
The ID had it's place but lost it due to the small mindedness of those in charge of the society.
Yes, an Irish Draught stallion sired the single, absolute, very best horse ever to have lived in Cruising but even the great Sea Crest wasn't a 'pure-bred' ID. His grand-dam was by the thoroughbred Arctic Storm.
If the societies had even the tiniest shred of competence, they would re-introduce some thoroughbred blood to the breed and register a horse like Clover Flush as a RID stallion, but they won't because they see only with short-sightedness. They have made the Irish Draught completely and totally irrelevant to those of us trying to breed stock to perform at International level. For breeders aiming not for the stars, but for the ground, they make very good sires and dams of riding horses. Never would I question their place in breeding for the leisure market but don't call them a breed because quite simply, they're not.

The German equivalents of the Irish Draught, that being a versatile horse that was once the main-stay of the farmland, are the Holsteiners and Oldenburgs. Those studbooks have horses like Cumano and Arko to hold in esteem. Properly managed in a similar but not identical way to the Trakenhers, the ID would be still able to produce horses of the same calibre. What does it have? A huge number of Show Hunters? Wow!!! In a perfect world, the ID would be in direct competition with the ISH. Instead, the ISH is the laughing stock of Europe and the ID is a nostalgic relic of a time long since past.

If stallions like Clover Flush and Diamond Design were boxers in the ring, then Clover Flush would win by 1st round, 1st punch knock out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying a horse like Diamond Design is a bad horse, but be honest to him and all of his kin under the age of 20. What use are they for moving the 'breed' forward? Not until stallions like Market Square can have their stock registered as ID will there be even the slightest glimmer of hope for these noble, noble horses to be in any way, shape or form relevant to the future.

abenton

Visit site
so i put my grey mare in foal with a grey stallion hoping for a grey filly and got a chestnut colt, hope for the opposite you want!!!
wink.gif

laa666

Visit site
I find all the information given very interesting, especially from eothian and I do like Clover flush, recently bought a couple of youngsters with Clover Hill and Ard allez cat breeding, wanted something different from the dutch horses I usually have but think willl have to buy my chestnut youngster, trying to breed one is going to be difficult.

LMsporthorses

Visit site
Hi I was working in Ireland Last year producing sporthorses with an ex bf. There is a popular stallion standing over there at Kennedy equine centre called Aldatus Z who jumped internationally and is fully approved with the Irish Horse Register and Oldenburg. From my experience with his off spring, they are very scopey and brave with trainable attitudes and of course seem to be mainly chestnut !! I had my mare covered by one of the other stallions they have there called Lancelot and she is due on the 23rd of this month! Take a look http://www.kennedyequinecentre.com/KEC/page4AldatusZ.htm