I wanted a new bridle!

LPL

Visit site
Hello I need some help. I really want a new bridle. I currently have an Albion which is far far too big for my boy and he doesn't go his best in it...
I also have a micklem but I ****ing hate it. It's so ugly and just doesn't fit right -the stiff leather sticks out on his little pea head and it drives me nuts. It is fitted correctly - couldn't and wouldn't get it any tighter to make it sit closer. So any ideas? Money will be raised from sale of said micklem and Albion so budget not huge but can't be doing with cheap ****. Will contribute more to a nice enough bridle. I think he likes the short cheek pieces/stability in the micklem so anything like this would be great!

Albion
4E54FEB5-545C-44DD-9C61-B5F52DC8AE12_zpsbmix33zj.jpeg

Micklem ��
7D922508-B22E-46A9-B2AA-CDB4323690CE_zps3knuo6y9.jpg

9tails

Visit site
I agree, he looks better in the micklem than the Albion. I really like mine and my horse loves it, the leather does soften over time.

Spottyappy

Visit site
I also agree the micklm looks good on him!
Not helpful when you don't like it! Does it make any difference to how he goes it in, though?
We have switched my daughter's mare to a micklem, and she says like a different horse, for the better.
I love Sabre bridles if you are looking for a decent English leather one, or Kate Negus if your budget isn't higher.

LPL

Visit site
You guys are rubbish!!! He does go better in it. But it's just so awful. I'll take a close up pic tomorrow to show you how badly it stands off his face. I do love the sabres and Kate negus so they were on my maybe list!

Shooting Star

Visit site
Weirdly mine hated the micklem but loves the sabre Córdoba elegance with a drop noseband. The elegance bridle is thinner / finer than the standard Córdoba so would suit a pretty lighter head like your horse has.

Lyle

Visit site
Oh, I think he looks quite smart in the Micklem. If he goes well in it, I'd be inclined to leave him in it! Maybe one with the flat leather, not the raised leather would sit better? Otherwise PS of Sweden have some interesting looking bridles, as does Hypostore Premiera.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Sadly I think he suits the micklem to.
I got a real improvement in one of mine when I switched to the Fairfax I have two now .
If your boy goes well in the micklem then the Fairfax type drop will suit him .
On your stiff micklem they do get better eventually get a little bottle of Rapide leather oil and sit in the evening and work it in that will help.

3Beasties

Visit site
What about getting the more expensive Micklem that is made from better (English?) leather so should sit better on him? Win win if he goes better in it!

pansymouse

Visit site
What about getting the more expensive Micklem that is made from better (English?) leather so should sit better on him? Win win if he goes better in it!

I was going to suggest that. The quality of the leather is worth the extra money.

TBH I have a Kate Negus bridle and I'm not thrilled with the quality of the leather. I'm a bridle maker so am very critical of leather and stitching quality. The leather and workmanship on the standard Micklem is poor but I like the design - I have one I use as a bitless.

First Flame

Visit site
Have a look at CK Equine on Facebook, lovely bridles and they are doing a drop noseband very similar to the Fairfax noseband and not dissimilar to the Micklem (it is a drop though but sits way nicer on the face than a traditional drop).

monte1

Visit site
Have a look at CK Equine on Facebook, lovely bridles and they are doing a drop noseband very similar to the Fairfax noseband and not dissimilar to the Micklem (it is a drop though but sits way nicer on the face than a traditional drop).

I would second that recommendation, in fact (dont tell my OH :)) but, I have just bought my boy a fantastic bridle from them as his christmas pressie, which can convert snaffle to double and comes with both sets of reins and two types of noseband. they will tailor to whatever you want if you speak to them. lovely quality.