I was thinking today...

Hemirjtm

Visit site
I have just met someone who spent 20 000€ on a 6yr old who was supposed to be able to jump 1m40 + classes, well he is now 11 and he does 1m05/1m10 classes. I was shocked when she told me how much she paid for him. I was really shocked, and basically he will jump one or two at 1m30 but wont go any bigger and definatly can't do a course, even with a pro on him.

Now I know H is alot older at 15, but he will do a course of 1m05/1m10 and jump a couple (5 in a row he may well be able to do more who knows never triend) 1m25 oxers at home. And he only cost me 1/20th of the price of her horse. He would have never had a 20K price tag on him as a 6yr old because he's just not that sort of horse...he's not made for jumping, shouldn't be able to do what he does flat work wise and basically is a bit of an odd one! I strongly believe that he only does this because his heart is in it, and not because he can actually do it. ( does that make sense?!)

Basically what I was thinking was, does it actually matter what potential* a horse has?
Does his heart have to be in it aswell?
Is having a big heart important to a horse actually reaching its full potential* ?
Do you think that a horse actually needs to want to jump/do dressage/ event at a high level, or do they just do it because they have to?

*the potential that we see in the horse as they have no ambitions and would be just as happy eating grass as they would be jumping a five bar gate!

I have alot more questions in my head but these were the main ones!!

I leave it to you now :D

Shrek-Eventing-SW

Visit site
If you have a horse who has "a heart of gold" but simply not the talent, then I think that it will struggle. But if you have a horse with all the talent in the world, but without the heart, then I think you will have problems.
I'd rather have a horse with less talent and more heart. Because at least then you know that it wants to do it's job and is not being made to.