I will be horseless :(

Boxers

Visit site
My daughter went off to Uni a week ago and today I am taking our loan horse back to his owner :( a sad day, he is such a lovely boy. I debated whether to keep him on or not, but really I know that without my daughter here, I don't want a horse just for myself and with winter coming up and paying living expenses for my daughter, I have decided a horse is an expense I can do without at the moment.

So for the first time in nearly ten years we will be horseless! It will be very strange not to have to do the early morning mucking out before work etc!

A couple of years ago we bought a 3 year old horse, Jay, we had him professionally backed and then daughter started lightly schooling him etc and he was then turned away for 6 mths over the winter, the next summer she continued his education and again he was turned away for the winter. However, when we brought him back into work the summer he turned 5 we found him to be in great pain in his stifles and he had a severe type of arthritis. We took the decision to have him PTS. It was a very sad time.

BUT along came Peter, to brighten my daughter up. A 16.3hh 15 yr old ex-eventer and she could just 'get on and go' which was fab. He has even been quiet enough for me to hack out too.

So we have had a great year with this big orange boy, and will be sad to say goodbye.

The end of an era.

But who knows, maybe in a few years time I will be on the look out for a tiny pony for grandchildren! You never know.

X

hobo

Visit site
That will be sad for you and it will seem very quiet. Maybe you could help someone out with theirs now and then to keep you hand in. I know how you feel about losing a young horse, I bought a 2 year old and did the same a you, but then things started going wrong and it turned out she had defects inside her hooves and then the treatment went wrong and she was put down aged 5. But I did start again with my lovely Maggie also bought unbroken, and I am also now bringing on her daughter.
So have a break but get out there again soon there is lots more fun to have.

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
This is very sad news for you, but it needn't be the end. I took an enforced break myself due to circumstances, thought about horses quite a bit during those years but I knew it wasn't the right time. Eventually my husband gave me a nudge and nine years later here I am with one of my own!