I would love to start hunting

Shay

Visit site
Contact your local pack. the Country side alliance and / or the MFHA. In very general terms Drag hunts follow an artificial scent laid over a known path so tend to be faster. Fox hounds follow a natural scent over a broadly agreed land ( becuase you need permission) but with the exact route known only to the trail layer who may be on foot, mounted or on a quad. Its slower because the hounds have to work more - more breaks. Blood hounds follow a human being only - no scent. A bit more foxhound like in that the hounds work more naturally, but shorter trails because the scent doesn't persist and not every pack have endurance runners available. I've no experience of stag hounds or harriers. (And you hunt Beagles on foot so I guess that isn't the point?).

Also have a look in the Hunting section of the Forum.

wobblecob2017

Visit site
Contact your local pack. the Country side alliance and / or the MFHA. In very general terms Drag hunts follow an artificial scent laid over a known path so tend to be faster. Fox hounds follow a natural scent over a broadly agreed land ( becuase you need permission) but with the exact route known only to the trail layer who may be on foot, mounted or on a quad. Its slower because the hounds have to work more - more breaks. Blood hounds follow a human being only - no scent. A bit more foxhound like in that the hounds work more naturally, but shorter trails because the scent doesn't persist and not every pack have endurance runners available. I've no experience of stag hounds or harriers. (And you hunt Beagles on foot so I guess that isn't the point?).

Also have a look in the Hunting section of the Forum.
Thank you 😊

gunnergundog

Visit site
There is only a couple of weeks left of the season so I would spend the summer doing pleasure rides, getting your horse used to behaving and cantering in groups and then aim to get out at the end of August/early Sept on hound exercise and autumn hunting/cubbing which is slow and very boring and the perfect introduction for a horse that has never hunted.