ID x Hanoverian- Good combination?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Has anyone ever known an ID x Hanoverian? Does this make a good mix in your opinion? Temperament, ability etc.? Obviously I know all horses are different but was just wondering.

Thanks,

JoElla

CSYMolly

community.webshots.com
Mine is irish sport x hannoverian so not quite the same but almost, I would definately get another but then I guess you can't really generalise. Would say it would be a lovely mix but rather heavy.

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Mine is 1/2 Hano, 1/4 TB, 1/4 ID and she is wicked! Can be a uncoprative bugger at times but she's incredibly talented (you wouldn't guess it watching her compete
smirk.gif
) But she is a demon on the hunting field (has been eyed up by a couple of the whips while I've been out with her) and is a fantastic team chaser
laugh.gif
Her daughter (by a TB stallion) is going to be a bloody fantastic little horse one day
grin.gif
Will reccomend the mix to anybody
grin.gif

01-10-06_1808.jpg

Kat
xx

Malibu

Visit site
i have a tb x hanoverian and he is perfect for me, not sure if the idx hano woudol be a bit too heavy but depends what you woudl liek to do with it. I find RU has the paces of a hanoverian but he's not spooky, and the tb comes into action when we went xc!
wink.gif

Twiglet

Visit site
I know a ID x Hannoverian mare.

Nice looking but far too heavy for my tastes, massive hooves!

She seemed a very opinionated mare, and the owner seemed to have problems with braking - but this may be the rider and schooling rather than the mare.
She bought her for jumping, but didn't know them to compete- think it was the braking issue.

Petrie

Visit site
Yes, I should think it would be pretty heavy, but that may not matter depending on what you want it for.

It probably wouldn't be fast enought to make a winning eventer, but you could have a lot of fun on it.

It could be a good dressage horse though, and a jumper.

I have a hano/tb and he's lovely. Has the substance, movement and jump from the hano, with the forward going attitude of the TB, with an injection of speed too. He's only 4 at the moment, but will be doing a bit of everything, including eventing.

A hano/Id could be a lovely mix, but as you say, they're all individuals and it's wrong to generalise!

purplezebra

New User
Visit site
Again not quite the same... but i used to own a gelderlander X ID gelding, he was a good medium hunter-type build and a brilliant, tallented horse... as people have previously suggested he struggled with speed when doing affiliated events at pre- novice, but he coped with the time limits fine when doing RC and Intro courses.... so i guess it really depends what your aims are... as for temperament - really easy, laid back horse, willing to please and will give anything a go...

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Thanks everyone for your comments! So the general consensus is that for an all-rounder that it can be quite a nice combination, interesting!

not_with_it

Visit site
My friend has an ID x Hann. Hes very lazy and stubben and goes at the pace of a mouse. He wouldnt be my first choice but she loves him so thats all that matters.

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
All me and Gina were chatting about putting Gem into foal again (the subject comes up very couple of months). Gina wants to carry on Gem's legacy and with her being 14 it would really be the last chance of doing it (not Gem's first foal she had one about 10 years ago). I know of someone who knows someone who has a Hanoverian Stallion (by Demonstrator) and was just wondering if it would be a good cross.

You know when your mind just starts wondering........

meandmyself

Visit site
I would say it depends on the bloodlines as well as the breeds. Some Hano's have a lot of TB behind them, so that could be reflected in the baby. Same goes for IDs, some are lighter than others.

shadowboy

Visit site
I have one of those he is a Flagmount Boy (ID) x a Darkness z (Hanno) and i love him to bits- He competes novice dressage at the mo (only a baby) and is now jumping 2'9 course with ease. Yes they have huge feet, but they have a lovely action and very steady temp. Oh and the comfiest ride ever... though i am biased!
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
If what I've been told is correct, one of the horses at the yard is suppose to be ID x Hanovarian and he's lovelyyyyyyyy

But will double check & show you a piccie