Idea after watching Watchdog prog

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
So do you think there is a need for someone who is good at finding horses and going to look at them? It seems novices could do with somone impartial and experienced who is not going to financially gain other than maybe an upfront fee?

I sometimes think instructors are not very good as they are too involved with their client if they teach them.

_OC_

Visit site
Emmm....yes and no would really need the person looking to be really upfront in their abilities and what sort of horse they would like and honest with the person trying to help them find their dream!!!!I thought there was already agencies or somethihg along these lines that offered this sort of service?
confused.gif

burtie

Visit site
The problem is that most people go to these type of dealers because their horses are cheaper than everyone elses. They don't seem to realise there is normally a reason. So not sure they'd pay out for extra help. Also shown by the response about paying for a vetting in the watchdog thread. There are good reputable dealers aiming their horses at the novice market but they tend to be much more expensive because they spend weeks training and assesing their animals before offering for sale, and because they tend to pay more for them in the first place and not pick them up from the slaughter truck or racehorse markets.

the watcher

Visit site
I agree that instructors have their own agenda when helping clients choose a horse in some cases..some, for example, will force the client into choosing a horse that is in fact too advanced.

to be truely independent you would need to show qualifications and skills that will attract novice riders, and of course never sell anything yourself, to be above reproach

dieseldog

Visit site
We used to use a lady at Malvern to find us horses, we bought 3 thru her and she sold 1 for us for a lot more money than we would have got. However she didn't visit with you when you went to see them, just put you in touch with people who she knew had what you were looking for. She was spot on each time.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
I have been saying for a while if I wanted to make money out of horses by dealing I would buy 14hh - 16hh spend a couple of months making them absolutely bombproof and sell them on with an instruction manual.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
DieselDog - that's how I bought my horse too (although through a different lady) and it worked very well. I know a lot of other satisfied customers of hers too.

I am not sure who said that novices weren't prepared to pay for or couldn't afford a vetting? I would never buy a horse without having it vetted as I am simply not experienced enough in equine health matters to judge a horse. I think it is wrong to tar all novices who, through no fault of their own, do not have years of experience of buying and selling horses, as too silly or too poor to have vettings done prior to purchase. Also, even though I am a novice and not fantastically wealthy I would never have looked at a "bargain basement" horse because, like most things in life, surely you get what you pay for? If there are bargains around it is unlikely that a novice purchaser would be able to spot them.

airedale

Visit site
I wouldn't have called the horse prices on watchdog "bargain basement" - 2.5k, 3.5k - those are 'normal' horse prices

totally agree that often instructors advise clients to buy what the instructor would like to ride/compete - hence the 'overhorsed' livery owner - nothing wrong with the horse other than it's a bit too sharp for the rider

think the idea is necessary but the execution of the idea is fraught with danger as the 'horse finder' would be going on the description of hte riding capability of the horse hunter - and we all know people don't tell the truth always about how bad they are

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
Even if the potential owners were completely honest about their riding ability (or lack of as the case may be) the horse finder would still need a certain talent to pick the right horse for them. What if someone like the man on the Watchdog programme set himself up as an independent horse finder? Back to square one don't you think? That is why rogue dealers like him should be prosecuted and banned from continuing to deliberately trade dishonestly.

SillyMare

Visit site
Not sure I would fancy that job at all - don't mind taking a risk with my own money / safety but trying to assess risk for some else is a difficult one!!

Major risk that you would be blamed if things didn't go quite right (and almost impossible to get the match right every time).

I think the only answer is proper regulation of dealers and better education of potential horse buyers - perhaps the riding school network could take a more active role in teaching people how to buy?

Having said that, there will always be people out there stupid enough to buy a cheap horse without taking advice and there will always be unscrupulous dealers preying on them.

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
It seemed to me the people shown would have been ok if they had had a vetting and bloods taken. I cannot understand why peole think vetting is a waste of money. I think of it as saving several thousand pounds rather than wasting a couple of hundred. If a dealer wont allow a vetting then walk away!

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
I bought my first horse in April of this year

Had it vetted - stage 5 - bloods etc

yet it had suspensory ligament damage

I placed too much faith in the vetting and there is a danger that other people will do to

i had a more experienced friend who had been with me to see previous horses but could not come to see this one - i regret not asking her to come along

me and my horse fit perfectly temperament wise - but his injury (which has been a long and costly recovery) was unexpected (and before you ask it was definately done before i owned him)

although i would still get any horse vetted - i would trust my own opinion more and take along a more experienced friend - but not instructor as often i feel although they know your capabilities as a rider don't really know your personality and abilities handling the horse and can over or under estimate your talents

so personally i would get a horse vetted but also value my own judgements (i've learned hard lessons this year - mistakes i will never make again) and take someone along that i trust