Idea for hay in field?

Pidge

Visit site
I know this should be in SY but get more people in here. We have hardcore around the gate and currently feed hay on the floor there for our 2 horses. Would it be better to put it in a large tub truck as opposed to straight on the floor? Was thinking of 2 tubs (horses get on very well together) weighted down with a couple of bricks in the bottom. Is this a good idea or not? What do other people do?

ihatework

Visit site
We put ours in a large tractor tyre, works very well indeed. The ground around it gets a bit cut up but soon recovers in the spring.

Pidge

Visit site
not enough space for a tractor tyre I'm afraid.
Is it better standing on hardcore than in mud? We are below the water table and on clay so field is wet and muddy.

Boysy

Visit site
The hardcore will actually be good for their feet as it'll give them a little time to dry a bit.... much better than stood in he wet muck all the time.

clipclop

Visit site
Always have had my haylage in a round bale feeder on hardcore. The field stays tidy and their feet get to dry out.

I now have it in a feeder inside a field shelter (on hardcore with straw to catch the poo)
Mine are out 24/7.

Pidge

Visit site
thanks for this as I always feed the hay on the hardcore so that they are not stood in mud for too long.
Will see if I can get a tyre from somewhere to wedge the tub truck in as a tractor tyre would be ideal but would be too big. Would be tempted by proper feeder but am trying not to spend more than I have to at the moment.

cloppy

Visit site
go to a builders merchants they have large wooden crates which they have had bricks etc delivered in and will sell them very cheaply or even free.

Twiglet

Visit site
You can buy the oversized tub trugs, I think they'd be ideal. I feed from one in the stable, it takes at least 4 big soaked sections, and seems to stop it getting wasted.