Ideal saddle more info!

Sarahkelly

New User
Visit site
Hi. I’ve just taken a saddle out on trial and want some info on it but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. It’s an Ideal Co gp saddle, wide and is 17”. Square cantle. Other than the serial number on the stirrup bar it doesn’t have anything else marked on it. I’d like to try find out which type of saddle it is so I can research it. Any thoughts?
also how are they to ride in? Anyone using one?

Goldenstar

Visit site
I have a dozen Patriot jumping and ideal make them for Stirlingshire saddlery they are excellent hard wearing saddles .
I think you have all the info you need there .
I have ridden on a ideal gp saddle I found it impossible to jump in .
I have owned loads of ideals over the years I used to use their Jessica dressage saddles which are an excellent saddle for the money .
I also had one of their jumping saddles .
It’s a good company I think they offer good value for money .

Sarahkelly

New User
Visit site
I have a dozen Patriot jumping and ideal make them for Stirlingshire saddlery they are excellent hard wearing saddles .
I think you have all the info you need there .
I have ridden on a ideal gp saddle I found it impossible to jump in .
I have owned loads of ideals over the years I used to use their Jessica dressage saddles which are an excellent saddle for the money .
I also had one of their jumping saddles .
It’s a good company I think they offer good value for money .

thanks for the reply! I won’t be doing a huge amount of jumping in it. I have yet to try it but it feels very comfy and leather feels lovely. It’s a very wide seat though, I wonder is it the one aimed at native breeds.

Sarahkelly

New User
Visit site
Just heard back from ideal saddlery, they’ve clarified it’s a wide seat event saddle. Happy with that info! If anyone uses same I’d be interested to hear thoughts ?

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
thanks for the reply! I won’t be doing a huge amount of jumping in it. I have yet to try it but it feels very comfy and leather feels lovely. It’s a very wide seat though, I wonder is it the one aimed at native breeds.

It sounds a lot like my saddle. They were designed by Peter Wilkinson before he left and set up Fylde Saddlery. Mine is very comfortable.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Peter Wilkinson may well have had input in the design, but he has never worked at Ideal - he has always been Fylde Saddlery. :)

Ahh maybe he just designed for them. When he saw my saddle he said it was one of the ones he designed for them. I don't think he expected it to fit a Suffolk. I know he was very poorly last year. I haven't heard anything about him recently, I hope he's doing well.

Baywonder

Visit site
Ahh maybe he just designed for them. When he saw my saddle he said it was one of the ones he designed for them. I don't think he expected it to fit a Suffolk. I know he was very poorly last year. I haven't heard anything about him recently, I hope he's doing well.

Yes, he would have input on the design he wanted for some of his saddles. Peter was extremely poorly, but he has bounced back again thankfully. His daughter Susan runs the business on a day to day basis now, and understandably, Peter has taken a little step back. Lord knows, he deserves it! We saw Peter earlier in the year before COVID hit, and he looked very well indeed - still bossing everyone about. :D

Foxvalleyfarm

New User
Visit site
Hi. I’ve just taken a saddle out on trial and want some info on it but I can’t seem to find it anywhere. It’s an Ideal Co gp saddle, wide and is 17”. Square cantle. Other than the serial number on the stirrup bar it doesn’t have anything else marked on it. I’d like to try find out which type of saddle it is so I can research it. Any thoughts?
also how are they to ride in? Anyone using one?
How much did you pay for your Ideal saddle?

Widgeon

Visit site
How much did you pay for your Ideal saddle?

This thread is more than a year old so prices from then may not be very relevant now - I paid £350 for a lovely Ideal WH saddle two and a half years ago, for my last horse. When I started looking for a new (second-hand) saddle in the past year for my new horse, very average synthetics were going for more than what I paid for that Ideal. Second hand saddle prices seem to have gone through the roof. I ended up with one through a friend of a friend - not an Ideal though.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
This thread is more than a year old so prices from then may not be very relevant now - I paid £350 for a lovely Ideal WH saddle two and a half years ago, for my last horse. When I started looking for a new (second-hand) saddle in the past year for my new horse, very average synthetics were going for more than what I paid for that Ideal. Second hand saddle prices seem to have gone through the roof. I ended up with one through a friend of a friend - not an Ideal though.

Because new saddle production slowed and there are long waits it has impacted on used prices.