Ideas and Opinions on stallions please!

ElleJS

Visit site
So my advanced event mare is going for ET in Spring 2010 and I would love to hear what you guys suggest as i'm sure you have some great ideas!

She is impeccably bred for the job and her first ET foal (by Mill Law) will be on the floor next Spring. She is very fertile as it was very easy!
She is 75% tb and the rest is a mix of Anglo Arab and Hanoverian. All breed pedigree
She is a big strapping thing, lots of blood, very fast, very scopey and fantastic movement. If she didn't event she has enough scope to have gone to a very high level showjumping or dressage. Her mother is a full sister to the late Grade A stallion No Complaints and has bred 3 rather famous advanced mares!!
She has a lovely temp although she would I suppose be classed as a bit 'hot' or a 'pro's horse' as she is sensitive and a bit of a worrier. She has the sweetest nature.

So what stallion would you go for? I'm looking to breed something very correct, athletic,and very marketable as it will more than likely be sold. It also must be Tb/ Selle Francais or Trak or something very VERY blood. I love foreign horses but they need a massive amount of TB or some sort for me to chose one to event. It also must have some proven results/offspring.

My number one is Mighty Magic, I love him and his pedigree. I love Mytens and Heraldik and both crop up there. He is 75% tb which would still give me a near enough 3/4 bred. He has shown potential in eventing finished 2nd at Le Lion D'angers although is he still a bit to unproven? I love the look of all his foals too. Just my sorts!

Others on my list include

Royaldik- I like his bloodlines on his dam side but not keen that he is only 50%tb

Grafenstoltz- have met him, stunning creature but I think too hot and fiesty, I can imagine a fire breathing albeit super talented baby.... !!

Chili Morning- Have seen and met him, what a lovely temp, very stunning but not sure....

Condios- really like the look of him. Is he marketable enough?
Jaguar Mail- Now I don't actually like JM, but very fashionable so perhaps I could sell the foal easily and it would be very marketable?

Calypso d'Herbiers- always liked him, but perhaps not well known enough.

Future Illusion- fabulous, really like him and excellent value, but perhaps I should wait till he has form like Mighty Magic at Le Lion etc...?

Wish upon A Star: He seems fashionable, good results so could be worth thinking about.

So will be very grateful for any ideas/ advice or suggestions?

kit279

Visit site
Lovely mare - maybe post a photo and what sort of conformation traits you would ideally like to improve on by breeding for her?

I personally like Royaldik a great deal. The others not yet on your list that I would have a think about are Desir du Chateau (Selle SJ stallion but very blood type) and maybe Kai Ruder's 4* ride, Leprince des Bois, who has a smashing pedigree and is already proven.

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
Mighty Magic is very nice - bit of a girly head, but that's a minor personal thing for me and not something to rule him out for
tongue.gif

Chilli Morning is better than a lot of eventing stallions, but I wonder if he has enough true class and ability for your mare. He is a reliable horse with good results and a good attitude, but in my (very) humble opinion he lacks a little something for a top class mare. Although, am I right in thinking your mare's full sister had an ET baby by him? If so, that'll be as good an indication of any as what the pairing would produce
smile.gif

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
If you want to think about more Trakehner blood, Axis throws cracking jumpers with super brains and good movement. Although he was top jumper of his grading (as was his son Hirtentanz) he himself is competing at Grand Prix dressage.
I've just backed a daughter of his who was totally straight forward, super work ethic and she has an incredible jump in her (Elite at Futurity and champion free jumping at breed show at just 2) , plus she is correct enough to be a champion in hand in the show ring.

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
Try not to put my own stallion forward unless I think the match is right but some of the most exciting offspring we have by him are out of Inchallah II mares,so I know the mix tends to work. Their temperment is so far very trainable and are just going under saddle. www.westonstud.co.uk there is a picture of Weston Partytime at her first party.

ElleJS

Visit site
Kit: Conformation is generally good, lovely big shoulder and bum, good legs, she is rangy, a little long in the back so perhaps a more compact horse would be ideal, her heels are a little low and she is quite 'angular' if that makes sense. Don't really want to chose a stallion that is drastically different in build and substance as would prefer to compliment everything she already has as it seems to work!! I will try and figure out how to put a photo of her up, I think if you google her a few come up....
I like that Le Prince de Bois- don't know why that wasn't on my list, Desir is nice too but perhaps not as well known.

Dingle- I do like the Welton horses but have come across a fair few that don't seem to showjump that well, so that would put me off a bit. He is very proven though.

Mistletoe Megan- My EXACT thoughts.... just not brave enough to say!
smile.gif
Her full sister is having ET with him because he is owns them both! So I guess you have to use your own stallion, will be interesting to see the foals.

Volatis- Axis is beautiful! My only worry would be eventers wouldn't know who he was and that may put them off buying her foals... it would be a beautiful foal though!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
What about Fleetwater Opposition? I think there is still some of his semen around.

Tinsel_Toes

Visit site
From what you've said, I assume you'll want to sell the foal? Then I'd use:

Jaguar Mail
Future Illusion
Wish upon A Star

as they seem more marketable to me. If you're planning on competing and producing the foal yourself - I think best to choose a promising young stallion whom you think will give you what you want from the pairing as the results will speak for themselves....

Alec Swan

Visit site
ElleJLS, an interesting question, and what would I do? God knows! You will have countless postings from those who would promote their own horses. Make up your own mind, and don't allow them to do it for you!

It will be very interesting to see what happens from the Heddley Brittania/Jaguar Mail mating. I would think that the TB or SF stallion, and importantly, one which has produced those which you would hope to copy, would be the way for you to go.

I do just wonder if the achievements of BOTH parents actually matter. There have been some very good competition mares, which put to a correct TB stallion, have produced the goods.

Put the right mare, I would suggest, to a seemingly lesser stallion, and you may well not be disappointed. Are we so influenced by stallions, that we loose sight of the mare? Of course we are.

We so often look to the stallion, but then when we have mares such as yours (I wish!) we look to that same stallion with a degree of deference. WRONG.

Back to the start. I would look for a TB stallion who has produced successful youngsters. They do exist, Hand in Glove being one example, and potentially, Lefonic another.

Your mare sounds to be ideal. Were I you, I'd be going round in circles! Im sure that common sense will prevail, and would be interested to hear which direction you travel in.

Alec.

christine48

Visit site
She's certainly bred for the job but is only 3/4 bred so if you go for Wish upon a Star you are diluting the TB even more. Same with Grafentoltz (and fire eating dragon does come to mind).
First Illusion is a nice stamp but more of a show hack type and having seen him in YEH classes his jumping did not impress me. He also has The Outlaw blood in him and he did nothing himself and was gelded.
Heraldyk and Mighty magic are lovely but there are the added problems of getting semen from Germany (esp if needed on a weekend like our mare!!)
Weston Justice is bred for the job, out of a proven mare (which I believe is most important) and he himself is proven too. he is also standing at one of the best centres for ET.

Bearskin

Visit site
If you look at Royaldik's pedigree, he is more of a 3/4 bred (with a dash of arab). Lovely horse, real scope and athleticism in his movement and a super jump. Also has the added attraction of being out of Heraldik's full sister.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Mighty Magic ! I remember watching him in videos as a young horse and didnt like him much, but he has really matured for the better.
Calypso would be another possibility, but his confo is not strong, and perhaps a bit old fashioned now. MM would be very commercial, and it would give you a nice ,usefull foal that is tall and upstanding.

I agree with you about JM! So dislike the way he jumps!

stolensilver

Visit site
I'd go for a full TB. Most of the "warmblood" eventers actually carry 75% or more TB blood so your mare doesn't need any more warmblood in her.

Miner's Lamp is full TB and very fashionable right now. The only problem is that he (obviously) is only available frozen. Brigadier Linden is another lovely TB who has produced some good eventers but perhaps not famous enough for your purposes. Or how about Primitive Proposal? His offspring have been doing well and he's just been graded SHB(GB).

eventrider23

Visit site
If you could get some of the Miners Lamp semen then I would go for that in a shot!

Otherwise, from your list and those suggested I would look at Mighty Magic (although will likely also only be available frozen) or Fleetwater Opposition (again frozen). I also adore Wish Upon a Star and will use him on the right mare.

S_N

Visit site
With her breeding (and having seen her with MK at a clinic about 3 months before the Athens Olympics), I would seriously consider Miners Lamp. He was a cracking horse, a little hot headed, but such a great horse to work with and I loved working with his babies.

catts

Visit site

cundlegreen

Visit site
Would certainly recommend Kings Composer, especially as he's now available AI. A very compact round barrelled stallion with excellent feet, (unusual for a TB!). My filly went all the way to Cornwall to him, and I am really looking forward to the result. All the pics of his offspring show a really good style over a fence, using their shoulders , and tucking up as well. His fertility is excellent.