Ideas for a horsewash to carry on the lorry?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Having a google, there seem to be all kinds of contraptions for having a horse shower on the lorry - ranging from the £ to £££££

Has anyone got something they would recommend, more at the £ end of the scale?

Cold water is fine, low tech is fine, i'd just like a bit of an upgrade from the bucket and sponge currently in use ;) I could get something installed permanently as OH is pretty damn handy but equally happy with something portable.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
OH fitted a small submersible pump bought from a caravanning shop onto a hose and cable. Electrics ran to lorry battery and pump with cross bar attached to hose was inserted into large water container when in use. It worked very well.
Cost about £30 20 years ago.
I didn’t use it much because I was afraid of draining the battery. I think you could run it from a second battery that could be also charged when the lorry was running.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
If your OH is handy you should just be able to add a shower hose to the main water tank and run it off the battery
thanks, I'm a numpty so have absolutely no idea what to search for to do this :p I have seen other people with this kind of arrangement but no idea what the nuts and bolts of it are!
only thing that puts me off something permanent is that you have to decide where to access it from and then hope no one parks that side etc. I guess you can have a long hose tho.

RHM

Visit site
I know someone who has a mud daddy for their dogs and I think it would probably do the job! It doesn’t look to hold loads of water so you would have to fill it up again if you wanted to do more than just legs.

ponyparty

Visit site
I have a Mud Daddy for my dog - he can't stand being hosed with cold water, so I fill it with hot and by the time we get back from our walks it's just about warm still. I did use to wash my horse's feet once as well, to take evidence photos when I visited him at barefoot rehab. Held plenty of water for that purpose too.
They come in different sizes, a larger one would easily do a whole horse I reckon. I really rate it - someone handy probably could knock something together, but that ain't me (or my OH for that matter!) :)

Barlow

Visit site
I have what I can only describe as a battery powered shower head. Dunk one end in a bucket and then wash horse. Charges from USB and pretty foolproof-cheap too at about £10 from amazon

Foxglove

Visit site
I bought a mud daddy and really like it. It’s not as advanced as some of the pressurised systems you can buy but for the money does the job well.

I use it mainly for washing off surface / mud off legs and belly after competition but the hose is long enough to use on the body as well. It’s not the strongest water current in the world but it’s far less messy than a sponge and bucket!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Ive always though you should be able to get some sort of bag that you hang up on the box with water in and just have a hose coming off it underneath so gravity feeds the water through? You get people showers like that at those eco camp type places, this sort of thing would surely be super cheap and not take up much room etc. You wouldnt get much pressure I doubt but be a step up from a bucket and sponge?

WelshD

Visit site
I have an Aqua2Go unit, one step up from a mud daddy as no pumping involved, its a self contained unit you fill with water which runs off an internal rechargeable battery or a 12v car battery. Neat and tidy and an excellent spray. Before I had a gas shower at home I used to do full baths for shows with mine.
Nomad and Mobiwash are also similar things.
There are videos on YouTube showing the sort of power you get - they arent exaggerated, they are very good bits of kit

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Have you got an on board water tank already fitted on the lorry? If you have it’s incredibly easy...
On our lorry build we made one of the lockers specifically for horse washing and feed and water buckets...
It was easy to cut into the water circuit between the water pump and the onboard taps. Then extend a new water line using a t section (push fit fittings) down to that locker. There we connected the water feed to a coiled hosepipe with a shower head on the end.... thus you can pull out the hosepipe to either wash the horse down or if so inclined wash the whole truck down!

Sugar12

Visit site
Looking for advice please. My waterboy portable cold horsewash has died and a new motor is the same price as a new unit to which my budget doesn't stretch to . I use it frequently and its been very handy however it is expensive to buy. I see a few have the aqua2go can you give me your thoughts on them please. I prefer a battery powered shower but it is only for 1-2 horses so wondering whether they are worth the buy or should I hold off until I can afford a new waterboy? I just need it for outings with the horsebox not the yard.

Barlow

Visit site
I’ve got a USB rechargeable shower head with pump, pop one end into a bucket of water and away you go! Cost me about £15 from amazon!