Ideas for box rest and update on my boy.

Louby

Visit site
Hi, not been on for a while as finally moved house and only just got my computer up and running.
My poor boy is back from Leahurst after 2 weeks cross tying for a fractured Radius. He came home on Monday and has a further 2 to 4 weeks cross tying then 4 weeks box rest un cross tied, then short periods of very restricted turnout. Im finding it really hard as it breaks my heart to see him tied up 24/7. His movement is very limited so Im struggling to keep him amused. I bought a tongue twister but he wont be able to reach it so hes got 2 haylage nets, water and at turnout times he has a lick thingy in a bucket over his door. Im picking him some grass, spending time with him but hes not one for enjoying being groomed, any ideas??

beh

Visit site
what about hireing one of these equine massager thingys, especially if hes not moving about much and stuff, worth a try
smile.gif

Get better soon
laugh.gif

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
No other advice to offer, but thanks for updating us, glad its going ok so far. Please do keep us informed about how things go with him.
Hope his recovery continues and all goes well

fairhill

Visit site
Someone on here posted a photo of a haynet which had carrots hidden in the hay. You could put a swede in his feedbucket as well as the lickit. If he's not a fatty, then a bucket of readi-grass to make a change from haylage?

Sorry, I've got no ideas which don't involve food.

I'm glad he's recovering , and the amount of time he's tied up will soon fly by, and he can start with his walks.
A girl at the yard's show pony broke the top of her front leg (near her elbow) at the start of the summer. She went to Leahurst like him, and was cross-tied all summer. She coped surprisingly well, and is now rideable (at least in walk).

Louby

Visit site
Thanks for all your ideas.
Its great to hear a success story, that must have been hard. Im only one week into it, a whole summer doesnt bear thinking about. Makes me feel lucky!