Ideas for elderly arab

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Jasper is a 28 yr old arab gelding who we have had for 9 years. He is in great health, and is still in light work, although, we stopped jumping him a few years ago due to stiffness behind. He is very lively and willing when ridden.
About 6 weeks ago we found him unable to get up in the morning, called the vet who gave him IV painkillers and after a stressfull 24 hours he got up and seemed none the worse for it. At the time we thought he had got stuck under his stable gate and that was what caused it.
Two days ago it happened again. He had been down in the field during the day (was very muddy) but seemed fine when we brought him in. In the morning he was unable (or didn't want to?) to get up. We made him comfortable and fed him regularly and, again, after most of the day. He struggled to his feet. He was very weak but is now back to 'normal' and seems fine.
Any suggestions - pain killers? joint supplements? - from anyone who has had a similar experience would be greatfully received.
Many thanks for your help.

glenruby

Visit site
Most likely arthritis catching up on him. You can try some bite which should help for a while and things may improve once the summer and firmer ground and warm weather come but tbh it is a sign that his body isn't coping very well. I think it would be wise to realise that he may not have too much time left. Being down once can be ok but once it starts re-occurring then it becomes a problem and is often v distressing for them. Trying him on a small dose of bute might give him a temporary reprieve.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
I'd have an immediate lab test for Cushings. Statistically, he's going to have it. Everyone knows about the curly coat as a sign of Cushings but there are many other symptoms too, such as ataxia, general weakness, confusion, weight loss, loss of appetite...list goes on. You can get a voucher for £15 off the lab test by going to talkaboutcushings.com. You print off the voucher and give it to your vet. My veteran Sunny started showing some weird symptoms and I honestly thought it was nearing the time when life becamse too much of a burden for him. Had Cushings test - ACT level at that time of year should have been about 37 - Sunny's was 200! He's now on 2mg Pergolide daily and is back to the same old Sunny x

Wundahorse

Visit site
I really feel for you as this is not an easy one to manage as the solutions are limited by age related issues.I would look at making him comfortable,whether you use bute, joint supplements or both.I have seen cases like this,and sadly they tend to deteriorate over time.However,Arabs are tough and it is worth trying to ease his symptoms.Not sure how things are in France with complimentary treatments though,or availability of products.I have a 27 year old Arab mare,who touch wood,remains very active and agile.

EstherYoung

Visit site
My old guy got himself a bit stuck when the ground was slippy. He's been on a low dose of bute ever since (a couple of years now), and he's been fine, able to roll and lie down at will. I've never been so pleased to have a muddy horse ;)

He's sound, but his arthritis just seems to make him weaker round the extremes of joint motion, meaning he struggles with horse stiles, holding his hind legs up for the farrier, that sort of thing. Keeping him in light work seems to help him, as long as I don't ask him any big questions.

If he starts struggling with getting up on the bute, I'll need to ask myself some questions :(

iconique

Visit site
Our old girl, who sadly isn't with us any more did this a good few years ago. She used to then sit like a dog when she couldn't get up. We used a rug with no tail flap as this prevented her from getting up as easily (sitting on the tail flap and trying to rock forwards was prevented). We used to dread going to the field to see her, always thinking the worst! She always struggled in mud or the wet, not only did she slip but seemed to be stiffer.

Anyway after moving her from the yard she was - large cold stable, into our own stables with the extra thick equimats, keeping her in at night and if not able to go out giving her a little walk to keep everything moving. We made a hard decision to go the painkiller route and she decided her time to leave us about 4 years later - being very spritely and even a nanny to our foals. She made it to about 45! For us it was all about quality of living and with the bute she had this - we didn't bother with the danilon, on advice from our vet as she found it palatable, as it was significantly cheaper and apparently the coating doesn't do that much good over very long periods of time (up to you but saved us a huge amount!)

We were lucky, she had a quick end and made it very clear to us that she was going - galloped around with the others on the sunday afternoon and was gone the following morning , having woken me up to tell me. We now have her son, who is about 30 going in the same direction :-( but we are hoping it will be a long time yet...

Also meant to say - advice to test for Cushings is good, Mistletoe had it although the drugs didn't make any difference to her.

Last edited:

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Thanks so much everyone for your help. After reading your post, iconique, I wonder if my term 'struggling to get up' was a bit misleading... he didn't even try - lay flat on his side and occasionally lifted his head up, groaned then lay back down. This lasted 12 hours after which point he staggered to his feet weak and wobbly. I'm not even sure it is arthritis - maybe a trapped nerve or pulled muscle - what do you think??
Other than these two incidents he if fit, shiny coat, full of life, regularly canters off with my 8yr old son....
He went back in the field with his herd today for the first time - he was really happy! I've caught him before dark, though and am not sure I'll ever leave him out after dark again....
Thanks again.

iconique

Visit site
We did go through similar and she did just lie there, it was quite distressing and our vet thought it may be due to toxins, makes me wonder now as it was a warm spell with a frosty morning and after reading tie up threads? (Although old and with Cushings she had a lovely bright coat and was definitely full of it before and after!)

Your chap certainly sounds like something is putting him into a state, out of interest, does his breathing and heart rate increase or decrease from normal? The vet gave painkillers, did he explain his reasoning? If he was in a large amount of pain I would have thought the painkillers would have got him up?

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hi again,
His breathing was slightly elevated, didn't take his pulse. On the first occasion we thought he had got himself wedged under his stable gate (not so sure now) and the vet thought he had fractured his spine. He was rather pessimistic and most surprised to hear he was up and about the next day! Throughout both incidents he ate everything we brought him with enthusiasm and passed several stools.
Thanks for your interest and ideas!
Sarah

iconique

Visit site
I always find it odd that some horses in the most awkward of situations stay incredibly still, I was at a friends yard and found a pony with its foot in a hay net the other day and it usually whizzes round the box, however not realising that there was something wrong, he ignored all pushing and shoving.

If he was trapped, shock could make him like this, natural instinct if he has hurt himself or your thought of trapping a nerve, I know that when I hurt enough it can stop me dead. I've found however they tend to raise their pulse when in pain and don't usually eat if its very bad, it may be worth next time if it happens get your vet to do bloods, looking for elevated enzymes or anything else unusual?
Not sure what else to suggest? Apart from making sure he can't get himself trapped and that he has an extra deep bed/rubber mats etc to keep him comfortable and easier on his joints. Hope your boy doesn't present like this again! Good luck!

Archangel

Visit site
I think the cold and cold ground takes its toll on old joints and they lay down for a snooze, get cold and stiff and 'set' and then can't get up.

Signs to watch for are soaking wet rug on one side (there is a difference in the rug of a horse that has been stuck down), unusual mud on legs and face (indicating a struggle), chipped hooves (in odd places, again indication a struggle). Any of the above would indicate to me that the horse has struggled to get up but has managed it.

Have a chat with your vet, he might prescribe a daily dose of bute for a while to see if that makes a difference. It has been so cold recently, I had to kneel beside a sick horse in the field the other morning and it doesn't take long to get chilled to the bone.

There does come a time when the old body just gets too stiff and it is 'that time' but I have seen very good results with a twice daily dose of bute during the winter.

Just out of interest, if you don't mind me asking, how is your Arab bred? I am interested in the older bloodlines :) They don't make them like that any more :cool:
I

Archangel

Visit site
Just read your later posts, has your vet ruled out a stroke? I found my 29 year old Arab on his feet but 'strange' I thought one of the bullocks had bumped into him as he was wobbly. For 12 hours he was very odd indeed and the vet couldn't really work out what was wrong with him (neither could I to be honest). Looking back I do think he had suffered a stroke, he did recover fully but we lost him 6 months later due to a combination of heart murmur and liver problems. I think the stroke was probably an early warning sign.

sarahlowe

www.saumort.com
Hi RebelRebel and thanks for your ideas. I will keep the stroke idea in mind. At present he has returned to normal and is galloping round the field like a spring chicken! Fingers crossed it continues.

I'm sorry but I don't know his bloodlines - he has been owned by the same people since he was 2 (I've had him on long term loan for 9 years) and they have lost his papers.

There is a picture of him here: www.saumort.com/Saumort/Equestrian/Horses.aspx?p=2. He is the top one.

Thanks again,

Sarah

Last edited:

lme

Visit site
My old girl (TB x Irish) is 31. Does the 'haul herself to sitting then stand up & shake' thing but still attempts to canter down the hill. She's been on bute (more in winter, less in summer) for 10 years & (according to our vet) is doing fine. Described as 'very good for her age' @ her last annual MOT.

MCL

Visit site
I look after a few veterans at my yard and have one (28) who has a regular precription of danilon (easier on them long term than bute). I up the dosage when the ground is hard or very muddy and drop it when its softer. The 28 yr old is not too graceful getting up or down in the stable but to help he has equimats with a deep bed of aubiose on top plus really high banks. I also try to maximise turn out for the oldies so they don't stiffen up - even in winter if its suddenly mild and there is grass I let them stay out for a night or two to ease the stiffeness of being in a stable - I find after a couple of nights out they cope with the rest of winter better - this time of year can be tough as they have been in overnight for a few months and begin to really show their age. They will be back to bouncing around soon with a few nights out!