Ideas for exercises to improve rope walking?

Casey76

Visit site
Hi guys, anyone have any exercise tips for improving rope walking?

My boy (n/P1) currently has a clean bill of health from his osteo/massage therapist; no special muscle stiffness or tightness in his haunches, hips or flanks. He is for all intents and purposes asymptomatic at the moment, and is working fairly hard in dressage at least three times a week, with lots of canter work on a sand surface.

However while he’s working he is constantly rope walking behind - no issues with the front legs/plaiting (in all three paces, not just walk), and he must wear brushing boots behind as he clatters his fetlocks with the hoof of the other foot.

He does stand close behind naturally, but will stand properly square when encouraged and under saddle.

I’m starting to contemplate using boots for field turnout as he is brushing while mooching around the field.

Any ideas for improving the muscles which support the movement of the hind legs?

Tia 🙂

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
what does he do in the way of cross training? Have you got anyone to hack him at the moment?

just thinking of ffionwinnie's welsh D mare that was incredibly close behind but came pretty straight through a programme of walk hacking.

Casey76

Visit site
Unfortunately my sharer had to give up due to a new job (which was just typical as she got on really well with him), so he hasn’t been hacking in about 4 weeks.

He’s getting shoes on in front next week, so it will be interesting to see if that makes any overall difference.

I’m still not riding, though I hope to get the go ahead in the new year.

SEL

Visit site
I also thought of FW's mare but also I had to open to see what it was, never known it called that before.
The US PSSM facebook forum introduced the phrase to me. I used it with a UK vet talking about the Appy's action after a tie-up and got a very blank look in return!

Mule

Visit site
Hi guys, anyone have any exercise tips for improving rope walking?

My boy (n/P1) currently has a clean bill of health from his osteo/massage therapist; no special muscle stiffness or tightness in his haunches, hips or flanks. He is for all intents and purposes asymptomatic at the moment, and is working fairly hard in dressage at least three times a week, with lots of canter work on a sand surface.

However while he’s working he is constantly rope walking behind - no issues with the front legs/plaiting (in all three paces, not just walk), and he must wear brushing boots behind as he clatters his fetlocks with the hoof of the other foot.

He does stand close behind naturally, but will stand properly square when encouraged and under saddle.

I’m starting to contemplate using boots for field turnout as he is brushing while mooching around the field.

Any ideas for improving the muscles which support the movement of the hind legs?

Tia 🙂
I opened the thread expecting to read about you learning to walk a tightrope😳

Chippers1

Visit site
just thinking of ffionwinnie's welsh D mare that was incredibly close behind but came pretty straight through a programme of walk hacking.

Is there a thread about this? Mine is quite close behind (worse in trot) so this could be interesting. He stands on the yard with his back legs crossed! (he's had physio and tack checked etc, it's just him :))

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
...also known as plaiting. The only thing I know that will improve horses that are very close behind is exercises that isolate and build the inner gluteal muscles, so lateral movements and especially shoulder in, also walk pirouettes (canter pirouettes too, if you are that far along).

SEL

Visit site

Chippers1

Visit site
Mine went over in the field (ruptured a tendon in his hind) but he was pretty close before then too, i don't think it made it any worse.
Realised when i took some photos for my thread about saddle fitting that i got his cross-legged stance in one..
Screenshot_20181216-145948_Gallery.jpg

He always stands like this!