Ideas for non conventional over-reach please!!

chestnutmarelover

Visit site
Before I explain, no bright sparks just putting over-reach boots please!!! Tb out of racing last summer kept pulling shoes off, since his feet were in poor state I had shoes off for winter, he can't cope with our stoney tracks even with hoof boots so i'm thinkin fronts back on asap, anyway, problem being that he pulls shoes off (or moves them making himself lame) by catching hind toe on shoe at toe of front foot (how I don't know but he does!) if he doesn't pull shoe off he lifts it then when standing back down toe clip goes in sole :( Over-reach boots don't work in this scenario so any ideas pleeeeeease???!!! (With schooling his strides will improve but he does it turned out not ridden....)

bumblelion

Visit site
My tb does exactly the same! He's also shod year around, even when not in work as iv got stoney tracks and he can't cope! Iv found having shoes with quarter clips on front feet helps (along with OR boots! :D).

bumblelion

Visit site
Forgot to add- tried quarter clips primarily to help with his tripping, he was a buggar for it! Since having them on, he no longer trips and shoes staying on is an added bonus! :D

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Tripping and pulling shoes are signs that the breakover is too late. Long toes are often the cause of this. Using double/quarter clipped shoes means that they can be set back to make the breakover happen sooner.

do you have any photos of his hooves?

Marydoll

Visit site
There are new things on the market desigened specifically for this, they cover the bulbs of the heels and im not sure, but i think they stay in place by small stud holes, if i can remember the name of them i'll pm you

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
There are new things on the market desigened specifically for this, they cover the bulbs of the heels and im not sure, but i think they stay in place by small stud holes, if i can remember the name of them i'll pm you

Just found the site, sorry i dont know how to link it, if you google shoe secure you should find it

Are his toes too long on his front hooves?
Did he over-reach and cut his heels when he was unshod/barefoot?

Have you looked at shoe secure? http://www.millcroftsonline.co.uk/Shoe-Secure

It's awful, I'm quoting myself. :eek: