Ideas for Weight Gain

waylan16

New User
Visit site
I have a 10 year old quarter horse who I would like to put a little more weight on, especially approaching winter. He came to me underweight (not severely, but ribs good be seen, bum was not rounded, no topline). He has put weight on since, but within the last month or so he has plateaued. His ribs can't be seen anymore unless he trots or whinnies, his topline has improved and his bum is more rounded, though he definitely could use some more condition in those areas.

He is not in work, his teeth were floated two months ago and the vet says they were not particularly bad. No signs of ulcers, large appetite and healthy otherwise. Worming schedule up to date and fecal float did not show any parasites.

He has 24hr access to 4 acres of pasture, though during winter the grass is often low and even my good doer (ironically a TB) needs a little extra feed. They will have access to a hay bale of rhodes grass (just waiting for harvest, should only be another week or two). He is currently being fed Mitavite Gumnuts and Maxisoy twice a day. They are unable to be fed more than twice a day due to schedule and living situation.

Copra isn't an option, unfortunately. I am looking for something very calorie dense, that I don't have to balance out with another product or supplement.

Any advice or recommendations are appreciated, and I would doubly appreciate if you could explain how much you feed and how often of whatever you recommend. I have tried researching myself but so much of the info in one article will be contradicted in the next....

waylan16

New User
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies! I am in Australia, just looking for broad spectrum ideas rather than brand names, such as types of oils etc. I do have a photo, but unfortunately my network won't let me upload at the moment. I will try again in a little while.

silv

Visit site
Do you get Rapeseed meal over there? is great for putting on weight, a company called Leg Up have it. Made a huge difference to my big 17hh warmblood last winter.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you can get it, NAF Thrive is amazing for getting weight on. It seems to give them a huge appetite. I suspect it works by helping the guts to be comfortable, but they bill it as slowing down the progression of food through the gut. I have had huge success with it, but be warned, they tend to go from skinny to overweight, which can be as troublesome when they are also (newly) hungry.

I worked for an equine vet back in the day, they even warned for very careful use of the product as they had seen a couple of horses put weight on so quickly, they had ended up with lami.

I have only ever had to use one big tub per horse. After that, they tend to be on a diet LOL.

It also seems to have the effect of making them less spooky, I suspect this is because their guts are more comfortable.

Also, Rice Bran feed (like that by Triple Crown, I think) is effective at adding non heating calories.

This, of course, after making sure worming and teeth are attended to, water is clean and plentiful, that the horse isn't being bullied, is warm/cool enough, is not in pain from lameness etc.

That said, no ribs showing means to me also, that the horse isn't underweight.

waylan16

New User
Visit site
His ribs are only just covered, and coming into winter he will drop weight. I am still trying to upload a photo but the network still won't allow it.