Ideas on how to tub a hock?

JustKickOn

Visit site
Pony at yard has an injury on a hock, vets have suggested tubbing it if we can think of an idea of how to do it! :eek:

Pony is 14.2 if that's any help, so not got such long legs, but we can't think of anything suitable that is high enough to fill to reach the joint yet easy to get said leg into...

Any ideas from you innovative bunch!?

L :)

mandwhy

Visit site
What about a kitchen type plastic bin? I would put it in at an angle partially full and then fill around it maybe, depending how high the horse can hold its leg and how well it will tolerate such treatment!

JustKickOn

Visit site
Soaking wet towels wrapped round the joint? Depends how calm the pony is I guess.

We did think this, but it would have more of a poultice effect than a soaking I thought. Will throw the idea out there again.

What about a kitchen type plastic bin? I would put it in at an angle partially full and then fill around it maybe, depending how high the horse can hold its leg and how well it will tolerate such treatment!

We have a small kitchen bin in the tack room but it is just a bit short of reaching the injury which is annoying.

Pony is tolerable of treatment once initial contact has been made.
The tubbing isn't a necessity, but would be helpful.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Theocat

Visit site
You'd need help, but if you had a sheet of rubber that you could sort of wrap around the leg beneath the wound to make a sort of cone pointing upwards and over but not touching the wound (like the cone around a dog's head when it has an injury, except pointing upwards), and held it as close as possible to the leg round the bottom part to try to keep the water in as much as possible (maybe with a bandage or just with hands) then filled that and kept topping it up?

You'd need a saint of a pony, and depending on where the wound is in relation to the nearest bit of straight smooth leg (which you'd need to base the cone on to have any hope of it working) it might be impossible to manage ...

JustKickOn

Visit site
That's not a bad idea actually, thank you.
Do you think using an old (and washed out) chaff bag would work, as that way the water wouldn't need topping up? and it would be relatively easy to drop and horse get leg out of in case anything goes wrong, I would think anyway?
The injury is not on the point of hock, but the front of the joint on the flesh, if that makes sense? Pony is very good usually so should be a manageable job for a team of us.

lauraandjack

Visit site
Depending on how tolerant said pony is (and the length of his/her legs) - how about a plastic dustbin or similar large container?

Obviously the leg will need to be placed in the bin before you fill it!

They manage to tub whole legs in ice as a laminitis treatment in Australia I think, so it must be possible!