Ideas on managing a fat companion shetland?

Ellietotz

Visit site
Can you use wooden posts instead of plastic ones? Is the electric well tensioned? You need it so there is no movement in it?
Failing that, can you tether him in the paddock until he gets the message

It's an outside track so tethering wouldn't work. I can't use wooden posts as the field is rented and I don't want to fork out for more than I have to for a companion on loan. The electric is completely taut all round, three strands of it too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I do two strands but might try three. Not sure how powerful it is actually. Charging it up tonight and will try again tomorrow!
Two strands would absolutely not contain mine. I too have a bare pen in a corner for mine. He has 3 strands and I zig zag an extra strand top to bottom on the posts. 🤞 it’s working so far!
Mine was a companion to a suitable, A’s in same requirements horse who has since died. He’s such a little hero though and such a good companion as I can leave him alone that I work round the problems caused by him being mismatched now.

windand rain

Visit site
We have at least 5 strands the cross fence has 7 its really cheap to buy cost me £8 for tape £18 for rope 200 meters of each if you shop around you could probably get it second hand for less

meleeka

Visit site
The trouble is if you don’t you could end up spending much more on vets bills.
(Easy for me to say I know as I have that very rare breed, a non escaping Shetland 😀)

That’ll teach me to be smug! I’ve just had a text to say mine has escaped onto the drive. Amazing how he knew! 😡

_HP_

Visit site
I would get a companion for the companion lol.😀

*that's why I can't seem to get down to less than 5 time 😐

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would get a companion for the companion lol.😀

*that's why I can't seem to get down to less than 5 time 😐
Mm, be careful here 😂 I did this, when the shetlands companion died I got a Welsh a. They hate each other but both different bigger horses... I now have the same problem x 2 😂😩

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Just a couple of suggestions-if your landowner doesnt like the idea of full wooden posts, beech stakes or smaller posts might be Ok? The dont leave huge great holes when you take them out and I managed to get green beech stakes (5 ft) cheaper than polypoles.

The other thing to make a pen is hurdles-I use alpaca but sheep hurdles might work for a Shetland, you could cover up the bottom rails to make it safer-they can be moved easily.

I have no issue with muzzles though, used properly.

Ellietotz

Visit site
I've made the decision on the electric fencing now but thank you for the suggestions! I literally watched him getting zapped as he pushed the posts down, he doesn't care! My mare runs just at the sound of the clicking, she wouldn't dream of going near it, I've never seen a horse not care about it to this extent! I had three strands, all double wrapped round each post, it didn't work so I'm not going to bother with it.
He won't be getting night time or day time without his muzzle on because I won't catch him to put it back on again. However, there's still plenty coming out the other end and I watched him for a bit with it on and could hear he's ripping the grass out pretty well, he just has to work a little harder to get it through. I am going to make the time to ensure I get him out every day with my mare, as I can catch him with the muzzle on funnily enough, then when he's out, I'll swap it over to a headcollar, give him some hay to munch and a tiny fibre feed for his digestive system as a precaution. At least then he can have a break from having it on for a little while but unfortunately, that's just how it has to be!
I feel bad seeing him with it on but he had his chance! The field they're in is far from bare, the grass is a fair few inches long and longer in some places so he isn't needing to struggle either which makes me feel a bit better about it at least.

Ellietotz

Visit site
would heras fencing work, make a pen that moves?

That's a pretty good idea. Wouldn't work in this case sadly, I used the electric fencing to split the inside of the shelter in half so they both had space in there plus it goes all around the outside but in a way to make sure he can get to the trough and so can my mare as well. However, I've given up with that idea now! But thanks anyway! :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
Just a quick note....if you wrap the tape round the posts make sure it isn't touching as it can short out and you might find the charge isn't going all the way round the pen.

Ellietotz

Visit site
Just a quick note....if you wrap the tape round the posts make sure it isn't touching as it can short out and you might find the charge isn't going all the way round the pen.

Thank you, it definitely was, he pulled it down in several places and I could see him flinching to the zap but ignoring it.

Ellietotz

Visit site
he sounds like a little monkey!!!!!!

That he is!! Seems to have got the hang of the muzzle now and I'm starting to not feel too bad about it. It's only when he follows me around and rubs his head on me wanting it off that I feel guilty but I'm trying to be matter of fact about it!