Ideas please

Troggy

Visit site
Is there anything that would link stumbling, head shaking (side to side), slightly snotty nose (white), slightly softer poos and strange behaviour in the field?!
Toff has been displaying all of the above over the last few days/weeks, I am going to ask the farrier to check her legs on 29th when she is being shod and also the vet to check her out on 1st Feb when her jabs are due.

I had the vet out before Xmas about head shaking and he couldn’t find anything wrong, was prescribed antibiotics and ‘bute but that also doesn’t seem to have helped. The snotty nose is only occasional but it hasn’t been noticed before. She has started to stumble when being ridden on hard and soft ground but is willing to go forward (very!) This weekend she has started to act strangely in the field, not eating her hay which is unusual and sleeping a lot although seems fine in herself and is eating her hay/feed etc when in stable over night. Her poos have also become a bit softer, not cow pats etc but not nuggety (!!), only slightly though but still strange.

Am I being paranoid or do you think there is something going on? As I said, the vet is coming out next week but just wondered if anyone had any ideas in the mean time?

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
The head shaking and runny nose could point to a sinus problem.
Or the tripping and headshaking could be linked to a back/feet/teeth/hocks problem.
Maybe she has picked up a virus due to feeling generally under the weather due to pain somewhere else.
Basically, could be a lot of things - may be best to look at each symptom individually.

Troggy

Visit site
blush.gif
got me, i'll check tonight!!

samp

Visit site
Perhaps it is a virus attacking her immune system causing the running nose, tiredness - this can cause stumbling. Could be sinus related - headshaking and running nose. Stumbling could be an anaemia, mild lameness, virus

Troggy

Visit site
Thanks all, her temp is fine so not really sure what could be, she is still eating fine so assume teeth are ok but will get checked after vet visit ( they aren't due until May) Can't ride until weekends to tell about stumbling etc but will be nice to get what ever it is sorted!