Idiotic question about knee boots

atropa

Visit site
I recently bought my mare a pair of knee boots as she's a gawky, gangly octopus and we have started doing a lot more roadwork, so I thought better safe than sorry.

I bought a pair of the older style Jeffries boots with the felting around the protective part and the 2 straps...but embarrassingly I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit them!

The upper strap fits snugly and comfortably above her knee, but the bottom strap even on the smallest hole is far too big to even touch her leg. Does this mean they are too big for her, or is the bottom strap supposed to be really loose to accommodate movement of the leg?

*crawls back under her idiot rock*

Amye

Visit site
I may not be doing this the correct way but I have a pair and I just make sure the top strap is on nice and tight and I put the bottom one on loose (I think i do use the smallest hole but this doesn't come anywhere near his leg). I did the same on my old loan horse (his owner told me to put them like that too!). They've never slipped down/round or come off so it can't be too wrong!

I think the bottom strap might be just to stop them folding up and over or something and doesn't need to be tight against them?

atropa

Visit site
I may not be doing this the correct way but I have a pair and I just make sure the top strap is on nice and tight and I put the bottom one on loose (I think i do use the smallest hole but this doesn't come anywhere near his leg). I did the same on my old loan horse (his owner told me to put them like that too!).

I think the bottom strap might be just to stop them folding up and over or something and doesn't need to be tight against them?

Thank you Amye, at first I was convinced she had ridiculously tiny legs..

doodle

Visit site
The bottom strap needs tonne loose enough so that if they do go down on their knees it dosnt restrict this movement. So put them on and lift the leg Ribbentrop the knee fully. The bottom strap is just to stop boot flipping up.

atropa

Visit site
The bottom strap needs tonne loose enough so that if they do go down on their knees it dosnt restrict this movement. So put them on and lift the leg Ribbentrop the knee fully. The bottom strap is just to stop boot flipping up.

Thank you Kamikaze that makes perfect sense now, will try again tonight :)