Idle Curiosity : mini shetlands beside M4

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Just wondered if anyone knows any more about this wonderful herd of cream mini Shetlands (LOTS of them!) that you can see from the M4, between junctions 8 and 9, I think (Reading/Bracknell)? They are such a lovely sight, and I've often wondered which stud they belong to, and how they get to breed only white/cream Shetlands? Would love to know! Has anyone else noticed them?

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
I've seen them too! There's LOTS of them! The first time I saw them I thought they were sheep, but then when I realised they were ponies I nearly crashed my car!
crazy.gif

bellgave

Visit site
I know the ones you mean, dont think its a stud though. A friend of mine bought some from there and used one of them as the national lottery pony with the purple mane (before it bacame computer generated). he also used them to pull Cinderellas coach in a few pantos!!!
As far as I remeber the owner of the ones on the M4 just seems to collect white shetlands!

FMM

www.absolutelymad.co.uk
Don't think they are shetlands, just small grey ponies. Lots of them and have been there for years. It is before 8/9. If you go past 8/9 (assuming that the shetlands are on the left and you are heading towards London), you will see our horses in the fields on the right immediately after J 8/9 - give us a wave next time you go by (that is why our horses are pretty much bomb proof in traffic!). The only little grey ones in their are Courtney and Cobweb (Toby's ponies).

RachelB

Visit site
I saw them when I was going to see a horse in London - my mum and my instructor just glanced over and thought they were sheep, and I did a double take! How many are in there??! And they were definately ponies when I was passing in May, not so woolly but still pretty sheep-like! I'd hate to have that many greys, I have enough trouble keeping my one clean!

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
they are owned by Luckins in Twyford, they are the pantomime pony place.....shetlands and assorted ponies!

Not casting my comment on the place tho......tried to buy my old pony once.....sweet ponies tho.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
they use them for pantomimes to pull little cinderella lol!!!

They are a riding school also, my sister used to go there years ago!

Generally they are usually advertising for people this time of year to look after and transport a few ponies here and there for the shows!!

We are pretty sure we had a pony via Reading Market from there, he definately had some funny tricks!!!

dieseldog

Visit site
Pantomimes are theatre plays put on at christmas that the whole family goes to and enjoys..... when you are about 6, after that it is something you have to do with the your grandmother. Every out of work, Z list celebrity from around the world stars in one as every single town in england puts a panto on. They are only a certain number of stories such as Cinderalla, Aladin, Puss in Boots, Mother Goose, Robin Hood...

In cinderalla these ponys will pull her coach across the stage.

There are probably about 40 10hh white ponies in this field

dieseldog

Visit site
Your kids would love it, lots of audience interaction and shouting 'he's behind you' kids get to scream very loud, and if you are an expert panto child you get to go up on stage and get presents. (expert means being able to push and shove every other kid out of the way in the mad dash to the stage so that you can have free pressies) I was an expert panto child...

siennamum

Visit site
They escaped onto the motorway a couple of months ago. Stopped the traffic - obviously, all the suited and booted salespeople and assorted lorry drivers were running up and down the cariageway tying to catch them. None were hurt.
Must have been WAAY better than a pantomime!!
I see them a couple of times a week, must stop staring at them as I zoom by at 90 otherwise I shall end up in the feld on eday. I will try and see your ponies though FMM
grin.gif

horsegirl

Visit site
I see them when I go to Costco, I don't think they are shetlands either though but there are loads of them. Little grey ponies, my husband thought we must be mistaken and they are sheep until he saw them. We always think there must be a lot of inbreeding as they are all so similar!

bellgave

Visit site
Not all shetlands, just anything small and white, so a big variety I guess!! they did have a black one in there for a while, it looked very out of place!!!

no_no_nanette

Visit site
Hey, so glad that I'm not hallucinating, and that so many people have spotted these little pones ... love to think of them pulling coaches in pantos... and Olympia, do you think?! And what a great image of all the commuters frantically chasing looooads of little grey ponies around the M4, though so glad none were hurt. (Ponies, that is, not commuters!)

Will look out for your guys, FMM, but must be careful that too much pony spotting on the M4 doesn't lead to crumpled car and person!