IDxTB mare with Hanoverian stallion

Tillyfilly

Visit site
I've got an IDxTB mare I'd like to breed from. She's middleweight hunter type and 17.1h and I'd like something lighter and not as big! Lovely paces and temperament although I haven't ridden her much.

Been looking at TB's and TBx's but has anyone crossed IDxTB with Hanoverian and were they pleased with the results?

I've got a picture but not sure how to upload it.

Thanks for any replies..

Tillyfilly

jelibean

Visit site
I have a 3 year old Gelding by Frenchmans Boy who I think is lovely, he is out of my TBxID mare. I am very pleased with the outcome, i personally think (only my opinion though) that his Hanovarian line has added expression and flamboyance to his paces. I chose this cross because i wanted to breed something that i would be able to eventually go on to some dressage and jumping, my mare is fantastic at jumping but turns into Kevin and Perry when trying to do dressage, i genuinely think she finds it too hard. So far he won on his first outing and the judge commented that he was a lovely stamp of a horse and he had outstanding paces. This is him last summer:
s737785299_3777561_6021.jpg

Tillyfilly

Visit site
Hi Jelibean

Thanks for your reply. If I ended up with a lovely chap like him I'd be well chuffed!! Is your mare more TB or ID? Although mine's 3/4 TB she's still mw and hunter type. I think using a full TB would just make another version of her - which would be fine and I'd be happy - but I'd like to lighten and add to her paces if possible. It's so difficult. I wish someone would say 'Here.. this is the one you should use!' and be done with it!

jelibean

Visit site
Mine is also ¾ TB she is pictured in my post below with my Handel foal if that helps build-wise. There are sooooooooo many wonderful stallions to choose from it is a real headache choosing the right one for you. Do you have any in mind?
Have you got any photos of her, if you post them there are some really knowledable breeders on this forum that will be able to point you in the direction of a stallion to suit your mare without a doubt.

Foxfolly

Visit site
Hi just thought i'd post some piccies for you.

OH's mare is meant to be Irish cob... although really not sure of breeding, she is 16.2, here she is..
3.jpg

This is her son, Ed, who is by a 16.2 hanovarian stallion, he is 4 in this picture and is a bit of a better shape now, although still built like a brick sh*t house
blush.gif
!! He is 17hh and is a lovely chap and although big is a lot narrower than her, he just has a fair bit of bone. Bless him he is a big wimp hates the vet but has a lovely nature and really wants to please!! He would probably be described as a mid/heavy weight hunter type!
FoxFollyFirstEdition.jpg

FoxFollyFirstEdition1.jpg

We put her to a warmblood stallion in 07 to produce Dexter, pictured below (Pic taken end of the summerish!). He is a lot finer than Ed ever was as a foal, we think he'll be a bit smaller too, his dad is Icon's Image who is only 16hh so we hope he'll be about 16.2 and will hopefully be more of a nice allround middle weight eventer type. He has a good turn of pace and is very athletic after watching him hooning round with his half sister yesterday!!
grin.gif

Image010-2.jpg

Tillyfilly

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies!

Jelibean - I'll try and post pics later, I'm at work at the mo and only have the one which isn't the best. Your mare is the same type yes, I think mine may be a little more heavier so gives me a good idea.

Foxfolly - what a handsome boy! I bought my mare at 5 and she still wasn't fully matured then, although she had the height.

I'm thinking of the following: TB stallion High Tension cos he's gorgeous, TBxID stallion Miley is very laid back and a bonus is he's local to me, sire of Masterpiece, or there's a part bred Hanovarian which I'm going to see tomorrow, athletic, long legs, etc etc. I also like Time Willing, another TB.

As the mare has 80% of the say about what the foal's like I know I'm not going to get a lightweight but am very interested in how much of a difference different breeds make.

FoxFolly - both parents of Ed are 16.2. You can tell he's her son, but how does he get to be bigger than both of them?

Once I post up some pics you'll get a better idea of her. I'm still not sure how to add pictures in a post.. any instructions would be great!

Tillyfilly

Visit site
I think I've cracked it. This is her last year, not fit at all (me neither
blush.gif
) Just gives you an idea of her size.

tilly1.jpg

Tillyfilly

Visit site
OK. Here's a few of her. As you can see she's a big girl, so looking to lose some height and fine out a bit. Any suggestions will be considered...

Tilly3.jpg

Tilly270509014.jpg

Tilly270509021.jpg

Tilly1-1.jpg

eventrider23

Visit site
What about a Holstein stallion?? They contain a lot of TB and as such would refine her and ad the quality you desire. In 2007 I decided to put a coloured Welsh D x cob mare in foal to Brendons stallion El Thuder, who is a Holstein and the resulting foal is a cracker! MUCH more refined that she is and has added tonnes of quality. In fact when you compare her colt to others by the same stallion, you would never guess he was by anything other than a chunky WB mare. None of his foals so far are looking like they will be huge and he himself is 16.2 at a push and all are incredibly typey and he stamps them all with beautiful heads!

To give you an idea, below is my mare:
Tasie.jpg

This is her yearling Max:
DSCF4457.jpg

and this is Max with his half brother (same sire) Tam who is out of a Warmblood mare....can you see the similarities:
DSCF4450.jpg

Sambertino

www.flaxlion.com
Samaii had a colt foal last year out of a 3/4TB, 1/4 Irish bred mare & this was the result - he was awarded Premium at his foal branding.
smile.gif

s_team_spirit_zfdp09.jpg

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Max with his half brother (same sire) - I am sure you only refer to 1/2 siblings when they are ex the same mare. This may have changed because I got pulled up about it years ago, or it could just refer to TB's.
confused.gif

eventrider23

Visit site
Well - I DID reply to your post this morning Magic 104 however it seems admin took offence by it (or someone did) as it has been removed....even though it was in no way derogatory at all. I essentially just said that whilst of course I DO know that horses by same sire are not 'politically correctly' called 1/2 siblings HOWEVER I am sorry but from a basic genetics point of view that is exactly what they are. Bigger breeders than me call theirs the same and those adre people with som 20 horses by the same stallion. At the end of the day if they both have the same sire then they are brothers, whether that is the PC thing to say or not.

Tillyfilly

Visit site
Well, thanks for all your replies n photos. It's really helped make the decision
smile.gif
Decided to go with the Hanoverian. Went to see him today. He's a lovely looking lad, moves superbly, very pleased with him. So this weekend hopefully filly will be in season so fingers crossed all goes well!

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
Well - I DID reply to your post this morning Magic 104 however it seems admin took offence by it (or someone did) as it has been removed....even though it was in no way derogatory at all. I essentially just said that whilst of course I DO know that horses by same sire are not 'politically

Missed your reply, but I was not meaning to have a go at you. I was just wondering if things have relaxed a bit that's all. This forum is for learning if any of us puts up something that is not quiet right, should it be left perhaps? It is not unlike people refering to the stallion as by ex of instead of by. Genetically you are correct & I am sure at the end of the day it makes no odds at all.
cool.gif