If a YO fills empty stable immediately...

shadowboy

Visit site
After a livery has vacated it; should the livery recover some of the livery they paid? I haven't bothered in this case BUT.... I gave notice to leave at the start of the month and said I would be out by 31st. Due to yard making up feeds incorrectly for the 3rd time in a row (dangerously so) I decided to move horse on the 17th. I pay £390 a month so effectively lost £180 (my choice hence why I didn't ask for it back) I came back the following day to remove my stuff and found a horse in my old box and my stuff shoved to one side in the storage area which I thought was a bit rude. It will be interesting to see general opinion. As I said before I'm NOT going to bother asking as I just needed to get the horse out ASAP but was so suprised to see the stable filled within 24hours when technically I'd paid for another 2 weeks!

SusieT

Visit site
No- but should the livery wish to return and could not then they would be entitled to ask for the rest of the notice back.

Luci07

Visit site
No, although I can see your logic. Its a months notice to give the YO time to fill your space. If you are out early and they can fill your space that this time its in their favour but it could work the other way round... no joy in filling your box for say, an extra 3 weeks so out of pocket.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
No, you would not be entitled to it back as contracted to give a full month's notice. Sometimes YOs may be lucky enough to fill the box immediately, other times it may be empty weeks or months. So a YO could not afford to give the payment back to everyone who leaves early as is not guaranteed always to fill the stable without a break in income.

gnubee

Visit site
Generally no, but I do think if you have paid for the space you are entitled to it til you have finished using it (I.e. Removed your stuff) unless you have them the impression you would be completely out by 17th.

amandaco2

Visit site
U are entitled to the space up to the end of your notice.imho the yp should refund the livery if they fill the box. If you move out of a house you are a tenant til the end date and they cannot get another tenant in til the end of the notice.

Annagain

Visit site
The way I see it the notice payment is a form of insurance. The £180 your YO has profited from this time could help offset an occasion when a box is left empty for more than a few weeks. As long as your stuff was safe and not stored in a way that could damage it, I don't think you can complain really. If it was the other way round and YO had given you 4 weeks notice, you then moved before the end and the box got filled straight away then I would expect you to get your money back.

Out of curiosity, why was getting the feed wrong so dangerous?

sport horse

Visit site
Look at it another way. If the yard owner was unable to fill the box after your notice period expired would you expect to continue paying until they did? It is the same scenrio in reverse!

shadowboy

Visit site
Annagain my horse's feed is soaked- if not soaked it will swell inside him. The bag states it needs 4 parts water to 1 part feed. I kept finding feeds made for him in the feed room barely soaked- like someone had just sprinkled water on it. I asked and left written instructions on 3 separate occasions yet they continued to not bother to soak... This made me wonder about other 'short cuts'

OWLIE185

Visit site
You have given notice to terminate your stable on the last day of the month. You have paid to the end of the month.
The stable is contracted to you for your use until the lasts day of the month be it with a horse in or not.
If the yard owner occupies your stable before the end of the month then they should pay you back for the days used.
This would be an excellent case for the t.v. show Judge Rinder. Suggest you contact the production company as an equine case would be a nice one to do!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
After a livery has vacated it; should the livery recover some of the livery they paid? I haven't bothered in this case BUT.... I gave notice to leave at the start of the month and said I would be out by 31st. Due to yard making up feeds incorrectly for the 3rd time in a row (dangerously so) I decided to move horse on the 17th. I pay £390 a month so effectively lost £180 (my choice hence why I didn't ask for it back) I came back the following day to remove my stuff and found a horse in my old box and my stuff shoved to one side in the storage area which I thought was a bit rude. It will be interesting to see general opinion. As I said before I'm NOT going to bother asking as I just needed to get the horse out ASAP but was so suprised to see the stable filled within 24hours when technically I'd paid for another 2 weeks!
No - even though a bit rude and they could have waited, once you gave notice and moved the horse - really you made that choice and your telling them you wont return by moving the horse early so it is your loss I am afraid. This happens in many many yards

This happens in all industry including hotels for example, just accept it and move on and sounds you had a lucky escape and so did your horse not to come down with colic.

Have a glass of wine and have a toast to celebrate getting out of there with a horse not ill or worst

Last edited:

Annagain

Visit site
Annagain my horse's feed is soaked- if not soaked it will swell inside him. The bag states it needs 4 parts water to 1 part feed. I kept finding feeds made for him in the feed room barely soaked- like someone had just sprinkled water on it. I asked and left written instructions on 3 separate occasions yet they continued to not bother to soak... This made me wonder about other 'short cuts'

Yes that does sound a bit dangerous. It did rouse my curiosity. Wasn't sure if you meant it was dangerous for you (ie alfalfa sending him potty or similar) or for him!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
If you have paid to the end of the month then the box and storage is yours until the end of the month. I would be cross that someone had moved all of my stuff, without permission.

I too would want some refund because they had taken the facility that I had paid for. If my stuff had not been moved, and I genuinely did not use the stable I would feel less inclined to feel like this.

LD&S

Visit site
I've never been on a yard so have no idea what usually happens but I wouldn't expect YO to refund but I wouldn't think it fair that your things have been shoved in a corner either unless YO thought you had removed all that you were taking.

Luci07

Visit site
I've never been on a yard so have no idea what usually happens but I wouldn't expect YO to refund but I wouldn't think it fair that your things have been shoved in a corner either unless YO thought you had removed all that you were taking.

think you will find that generally speaking, the most unpopular people are on a yard are liveries who have given notice! Luckily I have only been in the position twice where I was made to feel like a pariah... but trust me... it happens!

thatsmygirl

Visit site
You have given notice to terminate your stable on the last day of the month. You have paid to the end of the month.
The stable is contracted to you for your use until the lasts day of the month be it with a horse in or not.
If the yard owner occupies your stable before the end of the month then they should pay you back for the days used.
This would be an excellent case for the t.v. show Judge Rinder. Suggest you contact the production company as an equine case would be a nice one to do!

Totally agree with you.

There was a horse case on judge rinder the other day I watched. Lady took her horse back off loan after she felt it wasn't being looked after to her standard. She ended up having to pay £400 odd to the person to cover all the costs while she had the horse. No contracts off course as per normal it seems. The loaner said she was given the horse and the owner took it back during the night unaware to the loaner. 1st horse case iv seen on there.

thatsmygirl

Visit site

Disgusting, you done the right thing to move, like you say " what other short cuts"

Goldenstar

Visit site

How do you reckon this ? unless OP's contract says if we rent the box quicker we refund you the money that's not the deal she signed up for .
OP it was rude and incorrect of them to move your stuff but life's to short let it go.

wills_91

Visit site
Haven't read all the replies, however if your have given notice and chose to leave early then no not entitled to refund I would however in this case be asking for a refund if the sole reason for leaving early was down to there service/lack of it.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
I would think morally they should refund you from the date the new person moved in, to the end of the month. Technically they are taking rent from 2 people, for the same box! The new person should have taken on the box from the day your rental of it ended. The notice period is given to allow the YO to fill the space but they should only fill it from when it, contractually, becomes empty. Not sure how you'll make it stick though!

popsdosh

Visit site
I would think morally they should refund you from the date the new person moved in, to the end of the month. Technically they are taking rent from 2 people, for the same box! The new person should have taken on the box from the day your rental of it ended. The notice period is given to allow the YO to fill the space but they should only fill it from when it, contractually, becomes empty. Not sure how you'll make it stick though!

Great in theory but as others have pointed out does the OP keep paying if the YO cannot fill the box it cuts both ways the OP could easily have stayed till the end of the notice however chose not to so I dont think they have much to gripe about on that score!

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Popsdosh, the way I understand it is that the contract says either party must give 1 months notice. Therefore the livery pays their money up to that end date and for that agreed period of time is entitled to use the facilities, in this case, a field and stable. Although she left sooner, technically she was still entitled to use what she had paid for so the YO should have honoured the notice period. Once the notice period finished neither party has any obligation to the other. It would be quite interesting to see how a court would rule on it, although tbh, its probably far more hassle than its worth to follow up for a fairly small amount of money in the grand scheme of things.

shadowboy

Visit site
Don't worry I'm not following it up- was just genuinely interested to see what others thought. - although I am annoyed my stuff was shoved out the way- I hadn't rushed moving out as I thought I had two weeks to do so!

amandaco2

Visit site
I think so too

Pedantic

Visit site
Had similar experience some years ago, I left a yard with two whole weeks still paid for, so I reckon I was entitled to go on the yard when passing on my horse and use the Menage for those two weeks as well, I didn't use the Menage, but did ride on the yard to say hello to a livery I knew, well "somehow" the yard owner found out, (whoooo ooooooo, I wonder how that happened, oh yea, someone had their head right up his backside), I got a Mardy txt from idiot yard owner moaning like a spoilt child, tresspass blah blah blah, pathetic really, I didn't even bother replying as I wouldn't give the individual the snot out of my nose. Some yard owners are total botty holes.

Last edited:

william95

Visit site

This is very similar to what I do with my liveries. It is their stable until the end of their notice- for which they must pay. However if they intend to leave early or sell their horse before the notice expires and I can fill the stable within that time so I have continual occupancy then I will return the livery owing to them PROVIDING they have cleared the stable, tack, feed and rug room storage and any other belongings they have as this space will be required for the new horse. These storage facilities are part of the livery fee due to the amount of space they take on the yard and liveries don't often realise the cost of providing this space.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Popsdosh, the way I understand it is that the contract says either party must give 1 months notice. Therefore the livery pays their money up to that end date and for that agreed period of time is entitled to use the facilities, in this case, a field and stable. Although she left sooner, technically she was still entitled to use what she had paid for so the YO should have honoured the notice period. Once the notice period finished neither party has any obligation to the other. It would be quite interesting to see how a court would rule on it, although tbh, its probably far more hassle than its worth to follow up for a fairly small amount of money in the grand scheme of things.
Depends if there is another claws as we had to put in due to past experience with a very unfriendly livery, luckily only once in our 20 years of running the yard.

Notice of termination of livery is 1 month for either party where there is serious fall out between yard owner and client, the owner reserves the right to terminate this agreement with immediate effect, and they must remove the horse from the yard.

EQUIDAE

Visit site
Notice of termination of livery is 1 month for either party where there is serious fall out between yard owner and client, the owner reserves the right to terminate this agreement with immediate effect, and they must remove the horse from the yard.

Hmm would be interesting to look into the legalities of that one...

popsdosh

Visit site
Hmm would be interesting to look into the legalities of that one...

If its written into a contract that would be perfectly legal. Liveries have no right of occupancy under the law and the YO is supplying a service which can be withdrawn whenever they wish .
I would be interested to know with this particular situation if the horse was a new one to the yard or an existing livery merely moving . If the YO still had room to accommodate the OP then there was no issue.