If contagious disease was not such a stigma would???

Gingerwitch

Visit site
If people were a little more educated and tolerant would the spread of ringworm, strangles, etc be less of an issue?

I.e. if a farrier goes to shoe a horse that is "suspect" and the owner of the yard is too scared of the consequences to their buisness and does not say something, then that person is then helping to spread the disease.

I suppose what i am trying to understand is that if the stigma was not as bad, then would more owners of yards and horses be honest with folks i.e. farriers, dentists, other visiting vets, and instructors etc would be gald of the "heads up" and wash hands, boots, tools etc before carrying on their day - or indeed doing the "suspect" horse last in the day.

My heart goes out to the folk of Devon, where at least with strangles it is not airbourn or spread by flys and requires nose to nose or nose to infection contact.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It's awful for those people in Devon but its coming and it's going to get more and more common.
I am already looking at those bug killer lights for the stables like they have in butchers.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
But what about turn out ? and it does make you wonder if when folk find out that they have exoctic spiders in the banna boxes what else sometimes comes in on the container ships

Goldenstar

Visit site
But what about turn out ? and it does make you wonder if when folk find out that they have exoctic spiders in the banna boxes what else sometimes comes in on the container ships

If there's a major outbreak it will be the end of turnout in the midge season.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
We still have little midgiy things flying at the moment, and hav had a first frost - so i thought they would all be dead by now -

Something else to worry about.... laminitus, chushings, ringworm, strangles, swomp fever, grass sickness..

Goldenstar

Visit site
It will make our current worrys look nothing slaughter no compensation I don't think if it becomes to big issue insurance will be possible my vet told me it could be awful.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
Goldenstar - my blood has just run cold - are you close to the infected area? if you are my humble apologies, Its the last thing you want to be seeing on a forum, me bleating on about minor diseases.

Sorry

Goldenstar

Visit site
We were last year, infected horses or horses don't remember found a in a dealers yard horses from Rumania given passports in Belgium found on a spot check by DEFRA as far as I remember.

Cuffey

Visit site
OK before everyone panics can we get this into perspective
THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO NEED TO WORRY AT THE MOMENT are those whose horses were imported by ''certain dealers'' in Devon in 2008

So far--and I hope this does not alter--no UK born horses infected--so these horses have been here for 4 years and do not appear (so far) to have infected any others

However should you be sharing a yard with one of these horses your yard could be on lock down for 90 days while tests are done

DEFRA report 1--story from AHT collating centre
UNITED KINGDOM
Equine infectious anaemia (EIA): update on investigations into the clinical case confirmed in Cornwall on 3rd October 2012
Further to the report of 3rd October 2012 regarding a confirmed clinical case of EIA in Cornwall, England, 25 horses on the affected premises and two horses each on each of two neighbouring premises that remain under restrictions have all given negative results on an agar gel immunodiffusion (AGID, ‘Coggins’) antibody test. All 29 animals will remain restricted pending results of repeat AGID testing to be undertaken at least 90 days after the initial sampling. Another single horse that had moved off the affected premises having spent four days stabled next to the infected horse has been traced to another premises in Cornwall and has been placed under restriction and sampled with negative results. Restrictions will remain in place until a second test is negative, at least 90 days from the initial test. Four other horses are also present on the same premises and currently remain restricted.
Epidemiological investigations by Defra/AHVLA into the potential origin of infection in the Cornwall EIA case have shown that 18 horses were imported on the same day in April 2008 and among these were the most recent case in Cornwall and the EIA positive horse that was identified in Devon in 2010 and which was subsequently euthanased for disease control purposes. These animals were transported from the same Belgian premises, in the same vehicle, to the same destination in Devon. Investigations to establish the current locations of the remaining 16 horses from this consignment have been instigated and are ongoing. A single horse from this consignment has been traced to a premises in Devon. The identity of the horse was confirmed, restrictions served and samples taken on 10th October 2012 with negative results restrictions subsequently lifted. Three other horses have also been identified and are in the process of being traced, two of these animals are believed to still be in the South West region of England.
A clinical case reported to Defra as suspicious of EIA (a ‘report case’) 2.5 miles from the affected premises in Cornwall had restrictions lifted on 11th October based on a negative test and there being no epidemiological link to the affected premises or the consignment of horses that were imported in 2008 with the infected horse.

DEFRA report 2

18 October 2012 – Defra has confirmed a second case of Equine Infectious Anaemia (EIA, sometimes referred to as swamp fever) has been detected in a horse in Devon.

The affected horse will be humanely destroyed. Movement restrictions on the premises at which it was stabled, and other horses at that premises, have been put in place and a veterinary inquiry into the clinical history of the horse is underway.
This follows a previous case of EIA confirmed on 3 October 2012. Following this case, Defra conducted an investigation into the horse’s movement history which showed that it came into contact with the second horse now confirmed to have EIA.
Through this investigation, Defra can confirm that these two cases are linked to an incident of the disease confirmed in Devon in 2010. All three of the horses that have so far tested positive in the south west of England for the disease travelled into the UK together on the same batch in April 2008.
We are continuing to trace other horses imported on this batch in 2008 to ascertain whether any of these animals has the disease.

Gingerwitch

Visit site
It seams almost impossible to comprehend.... youve brought a horse owned and loved him/her since 2008 - and you could be getting a knock at your door to tell you your horse has to be quanranteened and tested, and then you have 90 days of hell.

Cuffey

Visit site
It seams almost impossible to comprehend.... youve brought a horse owned and loved him/her since 2008 - and you could be getting a knock at your door to tell you your horse has to be quanranteened and tested, and then you have 90 days of hell.

Or worse it tests positive and is destroyed and you get £1 compensation

The UK needs to be much more particular about horse imports and where they came from.
Why has EIA got a hold in Italy--because of horses rescued out of the abattoir trade from Rumania
Where do you think some of this 2008 batch of horses originate--Belgium is just a ''clearing house''

France has gone out of its way to trace horses imported from Rumania and any testing positive are destroyed. As you say VERY sad for owners who have made a partnership with them.

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Er...laminitis, grass sickness and Cushings aren't contageous diseases! And anyone who lumps ringworm in the same category as strangles or swamp fever needs their head examined!