If gun dog training had a bible..?

Dry Rot

Visit site

Alec Swan

Visit site
General gun-dog books, tend to be a bit bland, in that they don't really focus on anything specific! It would depend upon the type of dog, which book would be best.

Hutchinson's book, in its day, was enlightened, in that as D_R says, it was probably the first to consider a reasoned approach, rather than "breaking" the dog. Initially, Hutchinson was a voice in a wilderness!!

I'd suggest that Spaniels will have several books devoted to them, some better than others, as will Retrievers.

I also think that those books which concentrate on specific breeds tend to be all for the better, the more modern they are. I've read very few (perhaps I should have done!), but by recommendation, there will be those available.

Do you have any specific breed enquiries?

Alec.

northernnewfiediva

Visit site
The book we alsways recommend is Joe Irvine's 'Spaniels - their learning chain'. It covers basics to advanced work, is not really spaniel specific - you can easily work out which bits are! - and provides a great deal of information, ideas and tactics for having a great gun dog! Might be out of print but definately worth searching for it.