If he was yours, what would you do?!

BBP

Visit site
My little lad is 3/4 andalusian, 1/4 welsh b. He is currently working the 'I'm a beautiful Spanish stallion' look with long mane and tail, which looks gorgeous as he charges around, but i think he could look equally good pulled and trimmed in more of a show pony type. If he was yours, what would you do?

2009-09-2410-34-09_IMG_0256_resize.jpg

Kayfm

Visit site
Difficult one, however I love spanish horses and if I had one I would want him to look Spanish - so I would keep it long
grin.gif
grin.gif

BBP

Visit site
That is my plan, I've always loved Spanish horses so to finally own one and then trim it would seem like a sin (although I do think he'd look fab!...and in all this mud its easy to get tempted!)

I think my dad is also going for the untrimmed look!

BBP

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I would keep him as he is and post him to Flowerlady
grin.gif

Thank you in anticipation
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I would happily post him to you - you can re-back the little feral monster for me and then send him back!

kylie88

Visit site
Keep it Spanish!!! Hes lovely.

I know what you men about the mud thou, I have a haffie with long blonde locks, and get tempted with all the mud but I know I just could bring myself to do it.

BBP

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Keep it Spanish!!! Hes lovely.

I know what you men about the mud thou, I have a haffie with long blonde locks, and get tempted with all the mud but I know I just could bring myself to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My ponys best mate is a haffie! Thankfully she is very ladylike with an aversion to any kind of grubbyness, so her mane stays beautiful all year round...am tempted to rub some mud into her mane one day just so her owner doesn't get too spoilt!

Tallante

Visit site
I have a Spanish horse of 'mixed breeding'; he's about to be backed.

I'm keeping the mane long and the plan is to plait it Spanish style when the occasion demands it. I cut the tail to keep it off the ground.

I don't know how long I'll be able to tkeep that up but surely it can't be any more difficult than putting in a row of plaits in a pulled mane - can it?

bAILEYsnow4.jpg

Kenzo

Visit site
Well you can't argue the fact that he'd look equally as beautiful either way but if your one of these that likes to keep his mane in lovely condition and clean etc then I'd keep it long, because it will always look nice as well as looking all Spanish etc but it might be easier to keep and maintain (depending on if he's a mud monster and how you rug him etc) to pull it so its short and smart.

Myself....I'd leave it long!
smile.gif

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I have a half Lusitano (well thats what he was sold as, no proof though) and I have pulled his mane. I think the management of a long mane would be a nightmare, and he is a very hot bod so having it short means its easier in the summer imho. It depends what you plan to do with him though, for showing and dressage it would be fine, but I personally wouldn't want a long mane and tail for xc. I do think they look lovely when they're long though
smile.gif

He has a unpulled tail though, he lives out 24/7 in the summer, and I'd feel mean pulling it. It gets plaited for eventing, but left for SJ.

BBP

Visit site
I've been practicing my running plaits! Au natural also has the extra benefit of giving me something extra to hang on to when re-backing, mane+breastplate+'JESUS!!!!' handle (strap on front of saddle) = less chance of testing out my riding hat and body protector!

He is quite hunky, although at 14.1hh is is a mini-me andalusian!

ironhorse

Visit site
Keep him as he is - at least he's a nice dark colour.
You can either chop his tail in the winter (it will soon grow back in the spring) to keep it out of the mud or put it in a braid - we do this with my grey quarter horse mare and use tail bags in the field, I was surprised how pleasant her tail was when I dared to unbraid it the other day!
You'll use buckets of condtioner - if you put this in his mane braids it will keep the mud at bay to an extent - any lots of shampoo but it's all worth it when you get to admire their lovely long locks on a nice summer's day.

tyke

New User
Visit site
He is lovely just as he is. Both my ponies are kept untrimmed as I prefer it. The oldest boy often sports mud dreadlocks, he thinks he looks cool in front of his mates I think!!

mickey

Visit site
I'm normally a fan of neatly pulled manes and tails. However, you're biy looks so gorgeous how he is. He really is a lovely stamp of horse. (Jealous!) xx

rocketdog69

Visit site
Dont touch his mane or his tail. I have a purebred and I never touch either. He gets a muddy mane but I wait untill its dry and then crumble it. I keep his body very clean but sometimes just leave his mane muddy. As long as he is fit and healthy, a bit of mud in his mane doesnt bother me.

BBP

Visit site
Thanks guys, he is a super little horse, I got really lucky finding him. I think a lot of people discounted his ad last year because of his size, i think the trend is for taller and taller andys but he is only 14.1hh. Id never have thought about breeding an andy to a welsh b but it really works if you like a small horse. He is naturally uphill and moves beautifully - lets hope that transfers to being ridden! He is very light boned but hopefully they are pretty tough. I will definitely keep him as he is, the long mane suits him i think. Funny, i thought people would say to pull him!

2009-09-2410-31-26_IMG_0227_resize.jpg

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I am missing having a long mane for plaiting, I could do a crest runninng plait in 5 mins
smile.gif
proper plaiting I am still not that good at and it takes ages.

Trouble I had with running plait is that it wouldnt look that smart for very long. I used to put one in a lot generally as he got so hot under his mane and it rather got in the way
wink.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
I personally would pull his mane. Although it might be some job - I have a half Lusitano and his mane is SO thick its unbelievable so it takes some doing to trim it enough to plait it.

It depends what you want to do. If you plan to compete him then Id definately pull because a long mane isn't very practical and won't look right for a lot of things.