If I buy a brand new saddle from the shop and it doesnt fit...

wench

Visit site
Can I take it back?

Obviously assuming its been put on over a saddle cloth? And no damage obviously.

And before anyone says get a fitter out, I need a saddle for a horse ASAP (ie before Sunday). Local shop has some adjustable saddles which I am hoping will do the trick; if not I would like to take it back.

TarrSteps

Visit site
As above. The problem with saddles, like helmets, is they can be permanently damaged in a way that makes them not fit for purpose but is not immediately obvious.

TBB

Visit site
A local saddler I knew used to let people try saddles (not ride in them, just try them for size) in his car park. People used to bring their horse and unload and try the saddles with the shop owner supervising, would your shop owner allow that? Do you buy much stuff from them? If you're a good regular customer they're more likely to be helpful.

Wheels

Visit site
Can I take it back?

Obviously assuming its been put on over a saddle cloth? And no damage obviously.

And before anyone says get a fitter out, I need a saddle for a horse ASAP (ie before Sunday). Local shop has some adjustable saddles which I am hoping will do the trick; if not I would like to take it back.

Can you not take the horse to the shop to try on? Otherwise you might end up with another saddle that doesn't fit

wench

Visit site
Well let's put it this way if I hadn't of asked here I would have assumed that it was ok to take saddle back, like you would a coat or a skirt...

Capriole

Visit site
But it's not just ok to take a coat or a skirt back unless it's faulty in some way or the shop policy allows you to change it because it doesn't fit. They aren't obliged to because you got the wrong size. :p

Anyway, yes, something to ask them where they stand with saddle returns.

TBB, I used to go to a saddlers like that :D The place has turned into a big superstore now though, doubt they would still do it, and I wouldn't be too sure on the quality of advice now, whereas the old people were a mine of information.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Consumer rights of return, as others have said, relate only to faulty or damaged items. Anything else is pure good will and is down to the retailer to decide their returns policy. If a fitter comes to you at home you DO have the right to return the saddle if you notify the seller within 7 days and it is up to you to return the saddle in the time specified by their terms and conditions. This is the law for distance trading, though many saddle fitters never tell you your rights. If your saddle is at all customised then this right to return does not apply at all, in theory you couldn't even return a M2M saddle if it didn't fit, though most fitters are much more reasonable than that!

Grumpy Jewel

Visit site
I brought a saddle, tried it and returned it. They said as long as it looks spotless and in the same condition it could be refunded. They where winding down their saddle selection so not sure if that made a difference.

Aspire

Visit site
Sadly there is more to fitting a saddle correctly than just trying it on. You need to sit on it and ride the horse in each pace to correctly gauge if it fits both the horse and you. The reason it's a good idea to have a fitter out is that usually they bring a selection of saddles that you can try. Sometimes the one you think you wanted is not the one your horse goes best in, or for that matter you are most comfortable in. I would advise against a hastily made decision. It could prove to be an expensive mistake.

wench

Visit site
Getting saddlery out can be expensive as well. I'm £1000 worse off after a saddler with a very good reputation sold me a saddle that was far too narrow for my horse, and I stand little chance of selling it in the near future.

Anyway I've been to the shop and they will refund if in same condition as it left the shop