If I were to breed from my mare

lme

Visit site
I have a really lovely mare. She is an old fashioned Holsteiner, about 17h, moves well, jumps and is an all round nice person. She is quite well bred (by a son of Cassini 1, out of a state premium Holsteiner mare by Quinar). We have always intended to breed from her ‘at some point’. However, for varioious reasons, some point may be this year and we are running out of time. I am not looking to improve anything. If I got something exactly like her I would be thrilled. What stallions should I be considering? I am not price sensitive, need something available chilled, and anything I breed will be to keep, not to sell so the stallion does not need to be fashionable.

TheMule

Visit site
At this point in the year my priority would be good terms so that you can try again next year if no luck this time. Lots are being offered with very good terms, but it is worth considering availability next year if you want chilled.
Beyond that, your requirements seem very open ended so I would choose the stallion that I watched and wanted to get on and ride myself. For example, I chose Escape Z because he is hugely talented, complements my mare well but also just had a gorgeous temperament in the stable and watching him made me want to jump on board and have a go myself!

ihatework

Visit site
You are leaving it a bit late to be honest, especially having not done any stallion research. Does it have to be now or could you wait until next season?

If its now - what do you want to produce? What are the mares weakness than you want to improve?

Are you sending her to vets/stud or trying to get her in from home? If the former you will need to get the tests done pronto

lme

Visit site
You are leaving it a bit late to be honest, especially having not done any stallion research. Does it have to be now or could you wait until next season?

If its now - what do you want to produce? What are the mares weakness than you want to improve?

Are you sending her to vets/stud or trying to get her in from home? If the former you will need to get the tests done pronto

Our vet will be doing it at home. I am not sending her away. I already have another (very different)?mare who was covered this year and has her 2 week scan tomorrow. I just didn’t plan to be covering this one yet.

There’s not anything I want to improve though I definitely don’t need to add height or substance. She is nicely put together, has more jump than I will ever need, moves well and is a lovely person. I just want a good stallion, that would work with her breeding.

If I were doing this next year (I have run out of time to register her as a Holsteiner this year) I would go for Casall. As he usn’t an option, I would like to use a young stallion with breeding that would complement hers.

lme

Visit site
At this point in the year my priority would be good terms so that you can try again next year if no luck this time. Lots are being offered with very good terms, but it is worth considering availability next year if you want chilled.
Beyond that, your requirements seem very open ended so I would choose the stallion that I watched and wanted to get on and ride myself. For example, I chose Escape Z because he is hugely talented, complements my mare well but also just had a gorgeous temperament in the stable and watching him made me want to jump on board and have a go myself!

Actually, I was thinking of Escspe Z (for me temperament is hugely important and I like Emerald) but wasn’t sure how he would work with my mare’s breeding. And yes, at this point in the year terms are important. We could wait til next year but this year would now be much better.

lme

Visit site
Thanks both btw - as you can probably tell I am not someone who breeds very often. The last time I did this, there was no AI. You simply took your mare to a stud.

ihatework

Visit site
I’d probably go to Elite Stallions then and see what is available with good terms (and known good semen) at this time of year.

TheMule

Visit site
My mare is having her 14 day scan to him this week, I have a cracking 2yr old by him so I'm hoping for another (fingers crossed for a filly this time!). He's only available frozen next year, but his terms are NFFR with frozen next year

lme

Visit site

lme

Visit site
My mare is having her 14 day scan to him this week, I have a cracking 2yr old by him so I'm hoping for another (fingers crossed for a filly this time!). He's only available frozen next year, but his terms are NFFR with frozen next year

So - we went for Escape Z (discussed bloodlines with his breeder and he seems a really good match for our mare). Now just the wait to see whether she is in foal.

TheMule

Visit site
So - we went for Escape Z (discussed bloodlines with his breeder and he seems a really good match for our mare). Now just the wait to see whether she is in foal.

Fabulous!
My mare isn't so we're trying again, but the semen was fab quality, she just re-absorbed around 10 days unfortunately

lme

Visit site
Fabulous!
My mare isn't so we're trying again, but the semen was fab quality, she just re-absorbed around 10 days unfortunately
Good luck. My other mare scanned in foal at 14 days but there was nothing at 28 days. We tried again and she’s just had her 28 day heartbeat scan. Not holding my breath as a lot can still go wrong but so far, it’s looking good.

TheMule

Visit site
Mines just scanned in foal to Escape - fist time lucky despite her ovulating late - must have been v good semen.

Great news! Now the fun waiting starts....
Mine is being scanned next Friday, 2nd time was frozen but she ovulated at the perfect time and the swimmers looked good so.
My 2yr old Escape Z is just super, he has a lovely temperament and his physique is pure athleticism (he can buck very high!)

lme

Visit site
Great news! Now the fun waiting starts....
Mine is being scanned next Friday, 2nd time was frozen but she ovulated at the perfect time and the swimmers looked good so.
My 2yr old Escape Z is just super, he has a lovely temperament and his physique is pure athleticism (he can buck very high!)

Fingers crossed for you. I am trying not to get excited as it feels too early.