If not riding what are you doing with your horse?!

canteron

Visit site
I just lost my riding mojo with all the stuff that’s going on, so I have been playing with my horse. We are now pretty good at lunging at liberty, teaching him to bow, some classical dressage in hand, picking up all 4feet from one side, a few tricks, the dreaded long reining etc etc.

What about you (those lucky enough to have access to their horse). Particularly interested if any one used any on line programmes for inspiration and if they found them useful.

Littlebear

Visit site
I just lost my riding mojo with all the stuff that’s going on, so I have been playing with my horse. We are now pretty good at lunging at liberty, teaching him to bow, some classical dressage in hand, picking up all 4feet from one side, a few tricks, the dreaded long reining etc etc.

What about you (those lucky enough to have access to their horse). Particularly interested if any one used any on line programmes for inspiration and if they found them useful.

we have been long reining hacking most days, my legs are killing me so it’s doing us both good!
there are quite a few people offering in hand training using your phone, but there are tonnes online to follow but maybe start with straightness training website which breaks it down pretty well x

Michen

Visit site
Grooming and in hand grazing and controlled walking for the rehab box rested one. He spends about two hours out of his box a day with all that. Soon to be under saddle.

Groundwork for the baby, lots of desensitising. Also had a lunge over his first one foot fence today!

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We are still riding but also long-lining, on-hand walks along with in-hand TREC obstacles and Horse Agility. We do a fair bit of groundwork and this type of thing normally, so not much has changed for us - just keeping our hacking to the farm :)

DD

Visit site
going in hand walkies around the paddocks, long reining, washing tails,grooming general cuddling.

RHM

Visit site
Oh I need this thread feel so lacking in inspiration at the moment! Currently lunge once a week over raised poles, one or two in hand walks around usual hacking route and the rest of the time long reining around fields. And have gone through the Kelly marks book perfect manners about three times! In a weird way I am grateful of this non riding time as I 100% would have just cracked on bringing him back into work but this is really starting to highlight what needs a bit of work! Recently bought a in hand classical dressage book which is great so this week will be teaching shoulder in etc from the ground, and see how we go!
If anyone has any good resources (books/websites etc) then I would be very grateful for the recommendation! I’m getting seriously bored!

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I've been lunging - lots of transitions and change of direction. working on subtle cues from me to go backwards/sideways.
I've been on the Intrinzen page on facebook and plan to start doing some of that.

Sleipnir

Visit site
Good proper lunging and work in hand
Work at liberty and practicing R+, especially, working on all the little things that could be improved in daily routines (like standing up to the mounting block better, being groomed at liberty, etc)
Walks in hand and walks at liberty in the woodlands that surround our yard
Also getting new ideas from the Intrizen page, as mentioned above :)
Planning to teaching some new tricks, although the big lad is already aptly trick trained.

Visit site
I'm riding. 2 of mine are coming back after injury/joints medicated and the other one I am in the process of bringing back into work after the winter and also selling her.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
Absolutely nothing with Ted The Twit because I can't catch the little oik. He has gone feral - again ! He is in for a shock tomorrow, he has to be lassoed for the farrier. Once I have throttled him I will be having a word in his furry ears and remind him he has not been furloughed.

The others are doing pole grid thingy's, found some diagrams on the interwebb and it is great fun to see who crashes and burns first. Alice is her usual suspicious self and carefully tip toes her way through the various hazards. The pocket rocket cob hurls herself towards the maze of poles and takes a flyer, god help anyone in the way and Dim Tim watches all the madness from the safety of his sick paddock where he is mending his poorly ankle. Whilst the old boy looks on with disdain and disbelief that he is surrounded by such plonkers.