If only they could tell you when it hurts...

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
The back chap came out to check Jack over today, and found he had lots of tight muscle spasms especially his right side near his neck(guess which way she had trouble turning in last week's comp?)
At one point during the treatment it became painful enough to make him buck...
With hindsight C reckoned he felt wrong in the test, and his huge leap over the fence he had down SJ may well have made him tighter.
No wonder he got eliminated, and don't we feel awful about it.
If only they could let you know when something hurts, I feel terrible expecting him to go properly when he was physically unable to.
frown.gif

I can only think he's done it playing with William in the field, they really playfight so he could have slipped perhaps.
I'm learning all the time about backs/teeth etc, years ago you virtually only got a back person when the horse was injured, from now on I reckon a 12 week check up is going to be the minimum we do with our ridden horses, and sooner if we suspect anything amiss.
We're taking him XC schooling with Wizoz next week, so hopefully he should be fine for his next event.

MandyMoo

Visit site
im glad that you have sorted the problem, but poor horse
frown.gif
i agree that it would be SO much easier if they could tell us these things themselves :/

best of luck with your horses back xx

Cliqmo

Visit site
We have all done it!! I personally think you need to live through the horrid guilt to really appreciate how important acknowledging horses 'off days' are! Well done on getting help so quickly- so many people wait to seek help and it is invariably to the detriment of the horse
frown.gif

Bubblegum

Visit site
you are so right. if only they could talk.
It seems human nature that we think we are not riding well/properly/effectively enough... long before we think our horse may be telling us something.
frown.gif

BBs

Visit site
Poor Jack
Now you know how I felt when I found out how bad Snoops back was
frown.gif
he couldnt even move his head up and down properly.
It never stopped him jumping tho, but his dressage dropped to early 60%s and he reared.... but tbh we thought he was just going through a naughty stage and new he was opinonated. Just like Jack I guess, hes always had a buck.

Dont feel too bad, at least hes on the mend now
smile.gif

seabiscuit

Visit site
TBH there are some horses who, every single time they have just the *one* gallop/play about in the field it will always always equal a chiropractor/physio visit, without fail! I used to have that sinking feeling in my stomach every time one of these horses took a single step in gallop when turned out, as I knew that he was on his way to another £40 chiro fee! agony, you would think that they could cope with the odd gallop about, but they just cant, it seems.

Hope that Jack is back on form soon, he's doing so well!!