If you did this, would you expect to still have a job????

Blue-bear

Visit site
A friend of mine runs a yard and last week took on a lady that was going to work for her in return for DIY livery. She was due to start on monday and didnt rock up until 10.30 then faffed with her own horse including riding it, she left at 1 and managed to fill a couple of haynets (badly i might add). Tuesday she turned up slightly earlier did pretty much the same but took 3 hours to muck out 2 straw stables. Both days leaving her own horse in the field to be brought in, not exactly DIY.
Then Wednesday it gets to 12pm, she still hasnt arrived. Her poor ponio is stood in its stable cooking in the heat with no hay or water. Next thing is someone phones on her behalf because she has no credit on her phone and she is chatting to said person online. Her friend informs that she wont be able to get to work because she has no petrol but her horse must be mucked out, must have 2 full haynets and must be fed twice a day, along with being turned out and brought in!!
Now is it me or does this just not seem on??????
Needless to say said person now does not have a job to go back to but she honestly couldnt understand what she had done wrong....
There is no way i would ever do that but if i ever did for some ungodly reason i wouldnt expect to have a job to go back too!!

miss_c

Visit site
Totally not on. Not only would they no longer have a job to go back to, I would be asking them to either pay for everything that has to be done for them with their horse, or leave the yard.

teddyt

Visit site
That type of person shouldnt have a horse. Obviously took the job because they cant afford the livery bill but no intention of working. Anyone who cant afford to put petrol in the car definately cant afford a horse. Why woman like this dont sell their poor horses is beyond me. The horses welfare is always compromised. Grrrr!

PennyJ

Visit site
Taking the mick is my first reaction.

However, how many hours is she supposed to work to "pay" for her own DIY livery and were hours/days/times agreed with YO in the first place? .

Dubsie

Visit site
Sounds to me like the lady is quite young, and not used to the meaning of 'work'
Now when I was in my teens, I thought nothing of walking 6 miles to the riding school every Saturday and Sunday whatever the weather, and catching ponies, grooming, tacking up, mucking out, sweeping up, cleaning tack, leading ponies in lessons doing ANY chore thrown at me for nothing but the hope that once in a while (and not every week at that) Mr S would allow me a half hour lesson if someone had only booked 1/2 hour and there was no rider for the pony for the rest of the hour. After a day's hard slog I'd walk home.

Pedantic

Visit site
Yes well I got up 2 hours before I went to bed and walked 20 miles to lick a moorway clean with no break or dinner then mucked out 50 horses in half an hour at the end of the day before going to bed 2 hours before I got up again, Ahhh the good old days, diptherea, rickets, boys up chimneys, TB, oh how we miss it all.

MistletoeMegan

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes well I got up 2 hours before I went to bed and walked 20 miles to lick a moorway clean with no break or dinner then mucked out 50 horses in half an hour at the end of the day before going to bed 2 hours before I got up again, Ahhh the good old days, diptherea, rickets, boys up chimneys, TB, oh how we miss it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tehehe
blush.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

MrsMozart

Just passing through...
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A bed? A bed! Be thankful you had a bed to go to - I had all the same as you to do and had to sleep in a shoebox!

Pah, have it easy some of these young 'uns.

a010.gif

algy666

www.bebo.com
Shoebox?! You were lucky ... I had to live for 3 months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank!

(I also think she's totally taking the rip out of the people at the yard, and they should get shot of her)

D

Donkeymad

It would be interesting to know what hours/duties she should do to cover the cost of her so-called DIY livery. I think someone needs to explain DIY livery in the first place to her
crazy.gif

Should she still have a job? I don't think so!

Pedantic

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A bed? A bed! Be thankful you had a bed to go to - I had all the same as you to do and had to sleep in a shoebox!

Pah, have it easy some of these young 'uns.

a010.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A shoe box, a shoe box, you lucky lucky sod, we had to sleep in the middle of a lake on a lilo in all weathers, we only had a swimming cap to keep the rain off, jeez, a shoe box, we would have given anything to sleep in a shoebox
grin.gif

the watcher

Visit site
My experience of free livery being offered in return for work is that the expectation of yard owners can sometimes be a little unrealistic. Given that the average DIY is £35 or less each week this would add up to little more than an hour a day at equivalent to paid work at any kind of minimum wage - this is often forgotten in these arrangements

Nickijem

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Shoebox?! You were lucky ... I had to live for 3 months in a rolled up newspaper in a septic tank!

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you had a newspaper......!

Sorry to OP because I think that 'lady' is completely out of order - there is no way she would stay on my yard for another day!

Dubsie

Visit site
Seems perhaps YO hasn't clarified what is being asked for in terms of 'work' and 'DIY livery' in order for there to be a fair exchange agree with PennyJ, Mother Hen, Mrs M & others it should have been agreed at the start.

Blue-bear

Visit site
LOL, no worries!!! As i thought glad people agree with us. Lady is no longer at the yard, she did give yard owner a mouthful on her way out tho, saying that she needed to adjust her attitude, seriously!! I should also add that she was at least mid 30's, everyone therefore assuming that she would know better as such. oh well, lesson learny for all involved!

Simsar

Visit site
What a lazy sod, her poor horse!
When I started working with horses I had 19 to do, start at 6am, feed, muck out, exercise, turn out, bring back in, get ready for polo and then skip out and feed, wouldn't finish till 10.30pm some nights, didn't even have time to eat and dropped 3 stone in just under 2 months. Oh I'm glad to be out of that and with a stupidly easy well paid job now!
I'd have told her to sling her hook!

Fairynuff

Visit site
Im now on to groom number 6( in 4 years). If I could do it myself, I would. I did do it 'myself' for over 10 years but I am no longer capable. I still groom, sweep up, do feet etc every day but cant cope with all.that is required. Grooms are usually a hassle and the good ones are llike hens teeth. M.
PS, I would have sacked the 'lady' on the Tuesday morning
frown.gif