If you don't hack out

Happytohack

Visit site
How do you get your horses fit? There have been a few posts on here about riding out and some people have said they never hack out. As a happy hacker these days with a past history of endurance and some hunting, I have always hacked out and got my horses fit that way - just interested in how it's possible to get them fit and sane without hacking out?

Dogbetty141

Visit site
By Schooling them builds up the right muscles in the right areas hacking out gets them fit but it is still nescassary to school also. When hacking out you exercise them instead of really getting them fit in the correct ares.

I school through the week mainly and hack out at the weekend.

Twiglet

Visit site
I'm not sure I agree with the above I'm afraid.....

My horse has a naturally quite weak back end, and it's only through regular hill hacking that he's been able to build up the right muscles, which in turn has dramatically improved his schooling.
Similarly for his top line - he works in a contact out hacking, and this has definitely improved his outline for the school.

We still school during the week, but I definitely credit the hacking with his fitness work - and more so, keeping him interested in his school work.

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
Yep I second what 2310 says, when I hack out I also school at the same time ie, shoulder-in, leg yield down the lanes etc, along with the relaxing and having fun
grin.gif
it helps keep my horse interested in his schooling plus he is still young so it helps to keep his mind occuppied so he isn't looking for things to spook at
smile.gif

Alibear

Visit site
school, lunge, pessoa, lunge over fences and swim
grin.gif
well that's what we did before I retired my chap anyway. Occasional hacks out but only short ones in walk.

Other horses I have hacked most of the time and for many miles, just depends on what the horse enjoys doing I think.

tashyisaudrey

Visit site
I think a variety of work keeps horses happy. Hacking, schooling, hunting, shows etc all keeps them interested. I think hacking is the best for them cos they get out and about and it does help them get fit. Schooling does too etc, but again I think the variety of work is important.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
I dont hack out and nor does anyone from my yard really because we dont have anywhere suitable without going on some pretty dodgy roads. The road outside where we are carries a lot of heavy quarry traffic... its already very narrow and windy and is a national speed limit road sooooo bit too risky for my liking!

Our horses are all dressage horses and in that sense, they are dressage competition fit.

My horse is schooled a lot. I also jump him once or twice a week because he loves to jump and its a good variation for him. Ive never been a huge fan of lunging, although most of the horses (mine excluded) are lunged in side reins once or twice a week.

Its not ideal and I'll be the first to admit this but the horses do adjust to their lifestyle. Our horses are out everday and thats "their" fun time. I honestly dont think mine stands in his stable thinking about how he'd rather be hacking, particularly since I dont think he's that impressed by traffic
smile.gif
There is the odd day when he's clearly "not in the mood" for schooling, but generally he enjoys his work and goes completly crazy on his jumping days.

Most of them will be schooled 4 or 5 times a week for 45 minutes to an hour. They'll all have minimum of one day off. As I mentioned, mine is jumped... the other horses get jumped less frequently because the YO has to have an eventer friend of hers come in and jump the horses (she refuses to do ANY form of jumping)

Our horses are plenty fit for their job, but as I said, they're dressage horses and not hunters.

not_with_it

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
... how can someone never hack out I would not stay sane let alone my horse!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, you want to stay alive
grin.gif

I never hack my horse out as she is too dangerous on the roads. She is competition fit and has variation in her life. She gets lunged and schooled and goes out to compete. I wouldnt say she was unhappy. She gets lots of attention and cuddles and enjoys her life.

timeandchance

Visit site
I hack everyday with Jaquie...LOL Julie you should know that!

Hacking keeps Charlie nice and active and fit...and out arena isn't exactly fantastic for schooling this time of year...but we will defintely be getting some practice in before we go showing.

I try a little schooling while we're out hacking...you watch next time! I often try to keep Charlie in an outline...or at least listening to me nicely! I also doa litle leg-yielding past scarey horse eating things......and we manage shoulder in lovely!

claire1976

Visit site
My horse would go mental if I didn't hack out. She looks visably sad if I don't get her out 3-4 times a week.
I'm afraid that I don't agree that hacking doesn't get them fit. If you can't fitten your horse up by hacking then you're doing it wrong. Lots of hill work, leg yielding, alternating between walk, trot, halt etc. I don't have a school but do some exercises in the field. I would challenge anyone who just schools on an endurance ride anyday!!!

Chex

Visit site
I'd go crazy if I couldn't hack out! 2 minutes in the school is enough for me, very short attention span (and a pony that doesn't enjoy schooling). Thats the most important thing for me when choosing a yard (after all year turnout). I would have thought stamina, for long gallops, xc etc would be much easier achieved on a hack, than in a school.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
There is no doubt in my mind that hacking a horse out is the best way to get a horse mentally and physically fit and keep it that way. Horse that are excercised in a menage only get used to that surface and find it difficult to cope with anything else. We used to keep our horses in London and got them hunting fit by hacking them out on the roads.