If you keep your horse away from your house...

WelshD

Visit site
An incident yesterday got me thinking. I left for work and on a country lane found a lot of straying sheep. These had come from a local yard/smallholding which was not linked to a house (as so many aren't nowadays, mine included) the gate had a pretty handpainted sign announcing the name of the yard but no contact details, as the yard was unofficially named and had no house there was no listing of a phone number on the internet either

Although my ponies are behind my house they are accessed separately, I would be none the wiser if they strayed or were injured, local people would probably know where they came from but not necessarily that they were mine

Today I dug out an old stud card holder, filled it out with several contact numbers and attached it to my gate

Something maybe for others to consider...

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Actually, it's not a bad idea for those of us who doo keep them at home. If you are not there for some reason and there is a problem, someone may need to get in touch with you. My neighbours have a contact number, just in case.

CazD

Visit site
I have a dog tag attached to the padlock and chain on my field gate. It gives several phone numbers and my address. Its small enough so that its not readable by any person just passing the field but obvious to anyone trying the gate.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have a couple of laminated sheets pinned in the yard with contact details on, also they have the yard address inc postcode on in case of accident or fire etc.

i have similar sheet in horsebox with contact details and yard address etc, which i pop on the dashboard before i leave the box. This is because i go out on my own so in case of an accident to me or horse, someone can return the box to yard or locate husband/friends etc

flirtygerty

Visit site
Having two escape artists, this makes sense, being relatively new to this area and living on a 900 acre farm, if mine do escape it's normally relatively safe, my lot recently did a runner while I was poo picking and ended up next to a road, I saw them go and set off in hot pursuit with OH in the car, pulling up beside them, a car pulled across the open gateway (many thanks) and blocked the gate until headcollars were on, next day I found a note outside the back door saying they thought the loose horses in a certain area were ours and gave the time seen, turned out to be one of our neighbors, I now have all four gates to the field padlocked shut, and a note asking walkers to make a short safer detour through the farm yard, I really don't care that the public footpath runs through my field, if walkers can't be bothered re-tying gates, they can walk an extra few yards, my locks are staying on.
I have mine at home and both my neighbor and farmer landlord has my number in case of escapes/emergencies

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
An incident yesterday got me thinking. I left for work and on a country lane found a lot of straying sheep. These had come from a local yard/smallholding which was not linked to a house (as so many aren't nowadays, mine included) the gate had a pretty handpainted sign announcing the name of the yard but no contact details, as the yard was unofficially named and had no house there was no listing of a phone number on the internet either

Although my ponies are behind my house they are accessed separately, I would be none the wiser if they strayed or were injured, local people would probably know where they came from but not necessarily that they were mine

Today I dug out an old stud card holder, filled it out with several contact numbers and attached it to my gate

Something maybe for others to consider...
I brought yard hoof brands so anyone wanting their horse hoof branded with our post code can just ask their farrier to do it.

You could also put a dog tag on their headcollar or rug belly strap or front buckle

Suechoccy

Visit site
Absolutely.
My field gate has all our contact phone numbers on it, as do horse rugs and saddles and bridles.

3OldPonies

Visit site
I've left my details with the other YO's in my lane and with the residents of the houses who over look the field. All of the yards in the lane use the same vet too so if something occurs (which it did on one occasion) we can all call the vet if necessary while trying to reach each other on our various numbers - the vet is also aware of this arrangement and is quite happy they know we are sensible people who won't make that call without owners/ YOs unless it is a dire emergency. There are too many weirdos wandering about for me to want to put my contact details on the gate.

JillA

Visit site
Fortunately all my neighbours know I own the yard and where the house is - both are overlooked so one of several people would let me know, and have done. I like the idea of a tag on the field gate but is it obvious enough to anyone looking?