If you ride or walk dogs on Forestry England land ... please help :)

Mrs B

Visit site
Had a post via BHS on my FB feed this morning about a survey being undertaken by Forestry England concerning how their land is used.

It asks the usual questions about who are you, what age group, where are you etc but then asks what you do on their land and how often etc. There are several options for you to choose including walking, running, table tennis (? really?!) and something called 'Gruffalo Orienteering'. Nope. No idea either ... :oops:

Anyway. In the survey, there is no option to tick dog walking. Or horse riding. Nor horse driving. You have to choose 'other' then explain what you use the Forestry land for.

Now, I am fortunate enough to have access to many acres of their land. I appreciate being able to ride on that land more than I can say but I am worried that they didn't automatically include dog/horse people in this survey.

We really need to make our voice heard here to be seen as a legitimate group using Forestry land, so please could I ask anyone who enjoys Forestry England land to complete the survey and make our voices heard.

https://subscribe.forestryengland.u...EIu33EZK2xlqTsctaqa_qXEhl85152lRiPk_HXwhoyQaY

Last edited:

mini_b

Visit site
Very very strange they left this off. I’ve already filled this in previously. Wonder if there is anyone to contact to mention to directly.

Mrs B

Visit site
Done.
How odd that they left it off.

Thanks, MP and mini barnes ... I can only assume (sadly) that there's a reason they did so.

Could it be that they have been lobbied by the PETA people who don't like anything to do with animal 'ownership'? Or is it to do with a similar faction who have encouraged them to ban hunting on their acres?

Either way, I don't know but what I DO know is that such havens for walking dogs and riding horses are precious places and need to be fought for.

neddy man

Visit site
No mention at all on the Forest England website about horse riding/driving, there are 2 near us 1 is small, the other is large and we ride in that every day of the week as do lots of other horse riders, plus lots of dog walkers cyclists joggers and walkers. Done, it will be interesting to see what the e-mail reply is in 3 months time. The signs in the 1 we ride in show that cyclists have give priority to horse riders and pedestrians, and that pedestrians have to give priority to horse riders .

Last edited:

mini_b

Visit site
I received this in reply to my message to them on Facebook...

Good morning. The survey referred to is an Active Forests Participation Survey. This programme is operational at 18 of our Forestry England sites and works within very specific parameters towards the achievement of set targets. Its primary objective is to increase the number of people participating in physical activity at these sites.

The survey, headed ‘Tell us what physical activity you do in the forest’? (previously ‘Sport and Exercise survey’) provides vital feedback for us to measure changes in the intensity and duration of physical activity over time. Anyone is welcome to take part in the survey, however the focus of interest is on those activities covered by the programme at 18 of our busiest Forest Centre sites.

Currently, the programme focus is on the activities that have proven most suitable for these busy sites for example cycling, walking, running. Over the past 6 years only 0.8% on average of those people responding to the survey, indicated they were horse riders. However, those that take part in the survey can detail their activity if this differs to those listed and their feedback will still be considered.

If you would like to know more about horse riding in our forests please click here: https://www.forestryengland.uk/activities/horse-riding

If you have a specific horse riding, site-related query please contact your local forest team.

Kind Regards,
The Active Forests Team

Mrs B

Visit site
That's great - thanks everyone - especially for the Gruffalo Orienteering explanation :D

And thanks for posting the reply to your Facebook message, mini barnes.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
Done ?
Gruffalo orienteering will be for Westonbirt, there is a trail thing for the kids there

I thought it odd that there would be mention on the form of something available at only one site... so I went to check, and it is normally available at 13 sites (though most are temporarily unavailable and a couple are unavailable until further notice).

• Alice Holt
  • Cannock Chase
  • Dalby Forest
  • Delamere
  • Fineshade Wood
  • Grizedale Forest
  • Haldon Forest Park
  • Mallards Pike Lake
  • Salcey Forest
  • Sherwood Pines
  • Wendover Woods
  • Whinlatter Forest
  • Wyre
Further info here.

chaps89

Visit site
Yes, I did this in December, had to put riding in the 'other' box
Which is our local one/the one you go to/put in response for this survey (message me if you prefer of course) wondering what nice forestry riding I'm missing out on :eek:
I assumed the forestry up at Shere/Newlands corner would be theirs so was going to complete the survey based on that but it seems they're only interested in feedback for the specific areas they've listed?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Which is our local one/the one you go to/put in response for this survey (message me if you prefer of course) wondering what nice forestry riding I'm missing out on :eek:
I assumed the forestry up at Shere/Newlands corner would be theirs so was going to complete the survey based on that but it seems they're only interested in feedback for the specific areas they've listed?
Alice Holt, it's just up the road from friends stud. Till we had lockdown 1, I'd pop down at least twice a month to ride with her.
I've only done QE park once, plans went awry for return visits, again due to lockdowns.
None of their land up here tho.