If you were buying a dressage pony for an older child/teen, what would you look for?

horsemad32

Visit site
As title really - what would you want to see, what qualities would you be looking for? If the pony was to be competing at Medium level?

Would you discount ones that had only competed unaffil (at recognised venues that do BD also) or see that as an asset as no points so can go in any class while the child gets used to it? Would hacking solo be as important as hacking nicely in company? Would it matter how much jumping the pony has done? Would you care about breeding?

exracer superstar

Visit site
In terms of competing medium is that the goal or what u want it to be competing at before buying? In my area unaff only goes to elementry but if the horse showed potential to go further that wouldnt be a problem for me, I would recommend taking someone dressage minded such as an instructor with you to recognise potential I'm lucky as my friend is very very good at this and any horse I view he comes with me. Depends on your buget as to whether you disregard unaff ponies, also what age your looking to buy. When I look for a youngster at the end of the year I wouldn't disregard a 4/ 5 year old competing unaff however I may disregard a 10 year old as I want to move up the levels and at 10 I would want a good bd record but that's just me. Unless you are wanting an allrounder to jump with jumping wouldnt be an issue and for a child I would want it to hack well alone and in company. Hope this helps there are plenty of people who will be of more help to u on here to

horsemad32

Visit site
In terms of competing medium is that the goal or what u want it to be competing at before buying?

Competing at before buying :). In this area, unaffil goes up to Medium at the BD venues. Many people don't bother affiliating as a result, esp if it's not their main discipline.

ihatework

Visit site
If I were buying for a child, with the intention of being competitive then I would be concentrating on BYRDs results. I'd consider a good performing, younger , novice/elem track record at BYRDs over an unaff record at medium.

exracer superstar

Visit site
Ahh makes more sense wish our area would catch on to that !! Plus makes sense they wouldnt affiliate with it not being their main disipline although medium is a fairly established test in my opinion. I agree with ihatework but I still would rule a unaff out either