If your horse feels 'flat' what do you do?

Shadowdancing

Visit site
As title really! Horse has felt a bit lacking in lesson/show last 2 weeks. Still doing the job perfectly but without zest. Still mainly out not come in overnight for winter yet. Ridden daily. Have upped hard feed bit anything else to try. ...? X

LadySam

Visit site
Gosh. Could be anything!

First thing that came to mind for me: How long is it since the horse had a proper rest? Maybe he needs a week or two off to recharge and find his zest again if he's been working hard.

Alternately, do you hack out much? Might be bored with arena work.

zaminda

Visit site
One of ours always seems to get a bit like that at this time of year, regardless of what he has done all summer. When he was racing, we thought it was because he had worked hard all season, but he has been off for a couple of summers through injury and been just the same. I give him NAF energy, which is similar to red cell, which seems to help.
If that makes no difference, I would get the vet, as there could be something else going on. Have you done a worm count recently?

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I lot of horses get like this at this time of year. One friend swears by Kossolian Salts (I think that's what they're called). Or Red Cell, NAF Energ, as above all do a similar job.

Clare85

Visit site
I'd look first at vitamin and mineral content of feed. What do you feed? This time of year there are lots of changes in the grass - an initial flush and then quality tailing off due to weather change. If he's still living out at night it could just be that he's not quite getting the nutritional balance he needs for his ridden work.

Micky

Visit site
Give him a week or more off totally...then bring him back into work, you can gage what he's like then and adjust accordingly..ours have swapped over to in at night now, mine had over a good week off (12 days) he's recharged himself and we're off again...and he has cushings..

CrazyMare

Visit site
Mine go flat if I leave them out at night too late. They now come in at night in mid September and haven't really had a problem since.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
Worth a check from physio IMO. Mine was like that the last two weeks, had physio on Sunday who found lots of tension due to increased workload & changing the way he works (asking more if him & for him to work differently). A few days after treatment & he's feeling back to his normal self.

Last edited:

sport horse

Visit site
Blood test it to see if it has a virus then you know what you are dealing with and how to treat it.
Alternatively get loads of supplements, physios and ask everyone in your livery yard and I am sure they may all help.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I've not had this with mine this year but did so with others in the past. I discovered the "detox" about 6 years ago from my lovely trimmer (who is also a nutritionist) and it's really worked. I'm just doing it now with my mare. Twice a year, I give a either Global Herbs Restore or Trinity P45. 10 days does the trick and horse is fresh two daisies - spring and Autumn. Helps flush out the liver and kidneys from the build up of toxins which accumulate in the liver and kidneys.

It's important to stop all supplements and additives in the diet, so hay only (soaked or unsoaked) during this time. Work as usual or give them a rest. Up to you. The thing is, whether it's helpful or not, it's good to give the horse a break from rich foods. It's a good tonic and certainly helps mine.

The noticeable thing for me is the transitions get sharper so asking for a trot gets me a little lift as the impulsion comes through! Which I love! :)

Last edited:

eggs

Visit site
I read Reiner Klimke's book on Ahrleich and he commented that he didn't do much with his horses when they were changing coat as he thought it took a lot out of them.

Mine have swapped over now to coming in at night and it is noticeable how much more zip they all have.

9tails

Visit site
If obviously off colour I'd firstly check its temperature. If high, I call the vet. If normal, it could be coat change and being tired and hungry now there's little goodness in the grass.

wingedhorse99

Visit site
Think it depends. I'd check all other signs - weight / coat / respiration / temperature / behaviour / appetitite / amount dunging / weeing / drinking.

I'd look for signs of pain / tightness / saddle problem.

It could be grass losing goodness / coat change / mild virus / mild discomfort somewhere.

I've had similar which turned out to either pass or be something e.g. be saddle needing adjusting / abscess showing up next farrier visit (must have been mild), mild virus, mild muscle soreness sorted by bodywork.

Keep watching and observing, and decide if need to take some action.

tootsietoo

Visit site
Mine too! All 3 ponies have been quite flat, my 14.2 very noticeably. I've never noticed it in previous years but then they probably haven't been out as late as this before. I did wonder if it's to do with the level of nutrition in the grass. However, there is plenty of it and they are certainly not losing condition, if anything gaining a bit. Poo has gone very green and sloppy so something has changed in the grass. Really useful to find out that this is a "thing". Getting some new Blue Chip supplement next week so will see if that makes a difference.

lannerch

Visit site
If anything really managed to flush out all the toxins in the liver and kidneys we would all be taking it!

Think it's the time of year with the change of coat , it happened to mine in spring I fed him red cell and it's not happened since. ( he's had red cell again this autumn) .
If it's uncharacteristic though blood tests are a good idea just incase.
Good luck.

BBP

Visit site
With mine I would blood test as he never goes flat. There's no way I'd add red cell or anything like that as a flat horse could just as equally have a liver problem and chucking iron at it could make it worse, but I say that knowing my horses history of underlying liver issues, as a kid my trainer threw red cell at everything!

lannerch

Visit site
Don't worry red cell cannot exacerbate any liver problems unlike injecting iron can, as the gut regulates any absorption if it's not needed it's not absorbed.
Agree about the blood tests though.

Smellycob

Visit site
Haven't read replies so apologies if repeating. This has happened with mine before. Tried upping feed but even a little chaff made him silly! Turns out mostly to be a lack of fitness, although he can get bored. I remedied the 'flatness' by giving him a couple of nights a week in the stable to rest and making sure he is properly fit and trying to vary his work as much as I can weather permitting x

Achinghips

Visit site
Nights are getting colder too, with can exacerbate any arthritic issues, so I'd check the flatness isn't related to joint pain, simply due to the time of year.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
If anything really managed to flush out all the toxins in the liver and kidneys we would all be taking it!

Think it's the time of year with the change of coat , it happened to mine in spring I fed him red cell and it's not happened since. ( he's had red cell again this autumn) .
If it's uncharacteristic though blood tests are a good idea just incase.
Good luck.

People do take it... Plenty of detoxifiers on the market based on herbs, there a massive industry worth billions. You only have to walk into Boots to find a selection.

I was only trying to help. Sorry you found it so offensive.

Stinkyhorses

Visit site
I had one like that, but if I upped the hard feed or gave him comp mix he just just got fat!

I added a garlic scoop of unrefined table salt to his normal feed and he improved within days, I now use it for all of my horses and it has helped with condition and energy without costing a fortune

Shadowdancing

Visit site
Thanks all. I've got a date in mind to bring in and will notify yard. As well in herself, shiny, even dappled in the right light still, and with a good appetite, am thinking just to try giving her a good break, so a few days off, am going to feed morning and night and review situation end of week. If she really seemed to be sickening I'd be getting help right away but she is actually working beautifully at times, just less pinging and leaping about which many would consider a good thing I suppose...!!

lannerch

Visit site
People do take it... Plenty of detoxifiers on the market based on herbs, there a massive industry worth billions. You only have to walk into Boots to find a selection.

I was only trying to help. Sorry you found it so offensive.

Not offensive at all no need to be sorry, I am just amazed how many gullible people believe the hype they read. ( I am a pharmacist) .

cyberhorse

Visit site
More than likely the time of year. Ours always go like this at the end of Autumn before they come in and go on more feeds. I increase their balancers to the full amounts, I have added Red Cell in the past but not found any difference. They pick up once they come in more. One other thing to check at this time of year is their feet; ensure that they have not got any thrush starting as fields at this time of year are damp and can set it off. Early thrush can make them feel flat to ride in the same way as being a bit footy after the farrier (not nice to bounce around on sore heels!).