Ifor 505 Axle Rust Advice Needed

ponygirlzmum

Visit site
Hello,

Our family is new to towing a horse trailer and could use some experienced advice. We purchages a pre 1992 Ifor 505. The trailer frame and floor are in excellent condition and the axle has some rust. However, it's the flange/plate at the ends that we arent sure how to gauge if they are good enough or need replacing. We were able to get all the bolts off quite easily but not sure if that is a plus at this stage. We had to tow it home about 60 miles and it felt fine towing it.

We do not intend on towing any horses in this trailer. It's going to be for our camping gear and a lightweigh cooking area. We have stripped anything horse out of it making it as light as possible.

I have attached 4 pictures. The first 2 are the front axle with an image of the front side of the flange and the backside of the same flange. The second 2 are of the rear axle front and back side of the flange.

Thank you all for any advice you can give us.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_396a.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_396a.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 12
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3968.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3968.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 12
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3964.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3964.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 12
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3967.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3967.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 11

Theocat

Visit site
Get it serviced professionally. Regardless of whether you want to put a horse in it, you have a duty to make sure it's roadworthy. Servicing isn't terrifically expensive - probably about £100 unless you need lots of expensive parts.

ponygirlzmum

Visit site
Hi Theocat, many thanks for your reply. My husband was in the process of servicing it. Our plan at this point was to get the kit that includes the drums, brakes, shoes, and cables. We've just never had to deal with rust before and wanted to get opinions of experienced towers on if they felt the axles were not usable or usable. Yes, we have a duty and that is exactly what we are doing. Our first step is reaching out here and making sure we are heading in the right direction.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If the axles arent suitable and snap then you have a huge issue so they need checking properly. That much rust would definitely bother me. I have a Bahill which is probably pre 90s and it has no rust on the axles. If it did I wouldnt be using it.

ponygirlzmum

Visit site
Leo,

That is our concern and bothers us as well but we thought we would ask here and then take it from there. So we are already on the side of replacing but didn't want to spend money if we didn't have to. Most of the running gear is off at the moment and there is a flat so it's not ready for towing just yet. Thank you

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
That axle is corroded, not just a bit rusty. It’s a little concerning that you needed advice as to whether to replace it. I would echo advice that you would be best to get the trailer properly serviced rather than trying to do it yourselves. There are mobile trailer servicing companies if you can’t move it atm.

If the tyres are old, make sure that they are replaced with proper van tyres, not car tyres.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo,

That is our concern and bothers us as well but we thought we would ask here and then take it from there. So we are already on the side of replacing but didn't want to spend money if we didn't have to. Most of the running gear is off at the moment and there is a flat so it's not ready for towing just yet. Thank you

It almost certainly wont be worth the expense of replacing the axles sadly. You are looking at £700 plus per axle!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
My OH does all our mechanics that's not reliant on having the software you need for modern vehicles. He says that you can't tell from pictures whether those are OK or not, you need an assessment by a mechanic.

But if they do need replacing, these people look like they might be able to help, replacements £360 each

https://www.agrocotrailers.co.uk/axles

ponygirlzmum

Visit site
I never said there was just a bit of rust. My husband is completely capable of servicing the running gear and then we came across the flanges on the axle and stopped to seek advice. Nowhere did I say we were going to tow with them in that condition. We felt that we wouldn't have been the first and only people in this position so that is why we asked here...experienced towers. It's best to be informed as well. You try to be trusting but how many of you get quotes for repairs and they always add on extras that aren't needed. Having the knowledge upfront is wise. We would never tow if dangerous and have towed a caravan for many years but didnt have any rust.

ycbm, thank you for your helpful advice. That's where we were looking to buy.

It's a shame the majority of the comments were rude and insulting. At least now I know to go anywhere but here.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
It's a shame the majority of the comments were rude and insulting. At least now I know to go anywhere but here.
None of the replies were rude or insulting.

It’s often the case that when you start working on an older trailer, the further you dismantle it the more you find that is wrong. It’s over 27 years old now. A lot of horse trailers are serviced infrequently or never, so you’re doing the right thing by checking it over, but be prepared to spend out more than you’d hoped on it to get it roadworthy.

I wish that trailers needed an annual inspection, like an MOT, to be allowed on the road. I believe that is the case in France.

Last edited: