Ifor Williams HB511 mk2 - where to tie haynet?

millimoo

Visit site
As per title.....
The horse is travelled on the right, and the front ramp is on the same side.
Unfortunately the tie ring is too far back for our 16.3hh warmblood to comfortable eat.
Any suggestions??? :)

millimoo

Visit site
Thanks all, the cross tie thing had crossed my mind, and we will use that method, was just wondering if anyone had come up with a more permanent.
The ideal spot has nothing strong enough structurally to add a tie ring.
Katherine1973, not sure what you mean?
But there is only one tie ring on each side for each horse, but is vertically above the front breast bar, so the haynet is too far back for a large horse to eat comfortably

MissSBird

Visit site
We used to thread a bungie cord around the tie ring, tie the haynet to the forward hanger by the window, then clip the bungie cord to the haynet. Pulls it forward within reach of pony, but can be unclipped in an instant to leave the haynet hanging neatly out the way.

rosiesmumof4

Visit site
Is there not a tiny metal loop right in the nose cone. I have the mare and foal version and use the tie ring above the breast bar for the leadrope, and have the haynet tied to the tiny loop right at the front.

Archina

Visit site
I dont understand Ifor Williams trailers, this has had me thinking in the past aswell. There are really no ideal spots to tie up a haynet in those trailers. I normally tie there haynets through one of the breast bar loops on the middle partition, put it back through the haynet then thread it through the loop on the other side of partition so the haynet sticks out in front of the breast bars. Its easier for the horse to bend its head down slightly to eat rather than unnaturally angling there head up to the side if there haynet was tied on the upper loop. If any of that makes sense! haha

mik

Visit site
We used to thread a bungie cord around the tie ring, tie the haynet to the forward hanger by the window, then clip the bungie cord to the haynet. Pulls it forward within reach of pony, but can be unclipped in an instant to leave the haynet hanging neatly out the way.

clever, I'm going to try that..

Miss L Toe

Visit site

Bungees are not a good idea as they can break with disasterous results

Dottie

Visit site
I'm glad I'm nof the only one who finds this a pain in the bum! We do a similar thing as with a bungee, but tie the net to the ring by the horse and pull it forward towards the front of the trailer with rope. The only problem is trying to tie up my horse without A) getting bear hugged and B) covered in hay! Stupid design for otherwise perfect trailer!

burtie

Visit site
As per title.....
The horse is travelled on the right, and the front ramp is on the same side.
Unfortunately the tie ring is too far back for our 16.3hh warmblood to comfortable eat.
Any suggestions??? :)

My 510 has rings at the front I tie my haynets too. Surprised they aren't on the 511?

millimoo

Visit site
Many thanks all.....
The only obvious fixing point for a 2nd line is the bar across the front.
I'm assuming from your replies it's strong enough for a 2nd fixing point to pull the net forward.
Just need to ensure we don't interfere with the trailer cam.
All you suggestions are much appreciated :)

EnduroRider

Visit site
I use a spare leg strap clipped to the tie ring by their head and to the little metal loop in the nose of the trailer and then hang the net in that. Very quick to just unclip both ands and take the whole lot out to unload.

omshowjumper

Visit site
We spoke to Ifor Williams and they said to us that its because horses shouldn't travel with a net!! So we tie ours on the front bit in front of the window! Because as you say for a big horse you can't tie it where you tie them as its too close. I however have to travel one of mine without hay anyhow x:)

Rollin

Visit site
Yep we have that model, bought to accomodate a 17hh CB. Fairly unimpressed with hay net facilities.

I have permanent fixed panic ties as I could not reach the rings for haynets or just to tie up!! AND because the rings are so high, horses in transit can get their heads under the tie rope. Dangerous.

We purchased new rings and installed them lower down.

When we have two horses in transit, we tie the hay net to front bar and loop bailer twine through net and onto central partition, so both horses can eat from the same net.

We have complained to IW. Fairly shocking they could not think of such basics as ties and haynets

millimoo

Visit site
Probably a really silly question - but has anyone asked IF the question "where do I tie the haynet in a 511?" And if so, what is their response?

Yes, there was an earlier post..... I have also just fired off an email to Ifor Williams, so it will be interesting to see what they come back with :)
Bit of a Design miss, in what is a lovely trailer

ArcticFox

www.bryland.co.uk
there is no way i would ever use a bungee cord anywhere near a horse.

I hope you mean a trailer tie that has a bit of elastic and not a bungee with hooks at each end??

I have seen a horse with a eye out due to a bungie cord. it snapped and the elastic pinged back and hit the horse in the eye. Was a real mess when I saw it - had to be removed. :(