Ifor Williams solid partition 4 horse who kicks while travelling

Pebble101

Visit site
My friend and I want to take our horses out to have some fun. Trouble is her horse can kick out when travelling (very impatient) and used to do it when her previous owner took her out with another, however previous owner had a horsebox with a solid partition. My trailer is an Ifor Williams which has the rubber bits which hang down. It doesn't appear possible to buy a solid back partition for them.

I have seen what this horse has done to the back of her stable and I don't want to put my horse in any risk (and neither does the mares' owner). If anyone has any suggestions we would be grateful. It does seem to be a waste of money for her to buy a trailer and something to tow it with - we don't go out that often! We have thought about changing the trailer so if anyone has any recommendations - it would need to be big as my lad is 17.2. Or any other suggestions?

Dizzydancer

Visit site
My rice supreme Beaufort has solid partition and takes 2 upto 17.2 (it's actually slightly bigger than a 511). It's old but does a fab job of towing and it's always been well looked after- I was considering swapping to a 510/511 but still undecided as it is a good trailer!!
I would imagine a trailer dealer would be able to modify something to have a solid base to your swing partition but if not maybe an option would be the older rice??

Pebble101

Visit site
I got rid of an old Rice trailer, the centre partition was really heavy. It would have been over 40 years old by now :) I'm loathe to give up my 510 as it was new when we bought it and it's in excellent condition but it's probably a compromise I might have to make :(

I did think about ply but a bit concerned it would be difficult to attach it safely - this horse kicks with some force. It won't be at my horse but the end result is the same.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
If you have a decent fabrications/welder/blacksmith, they could make a rigid frame for it attached to the partition itself and not the skirt or you could ask them to make a full to the floor rigid back partition that hooks on as normal that you only use when you travel that horse; perhaps friend would go halves with you?

Visit site
Do you think the plastic skirts may be enough to stop the kick. Having similar problems myself with IW506 and two ponies. I'm wondering if they can't get a good enough angle to kick because they are loaded side by side, perhaps the skirt is enough to deflect what attempts they do make? What do you think?

Pebble101

Visit site
Do you think the plastic skirts may be enough to stop the kick. Having similar problems myself with IW506 and two ponies. I'm wondering if they can't get a good enough angle to kick because they are loaded side by side, perhaps the skirt is enough to deflect what attempts they do make? What do you think?

I think you could be right but I don't really want to try and find out it doesn't!

Visit site
Yes, I know what you mean about hoping the skirts to the trick...what if they don't!
Hobbles are a no for me. Thinking my only options are to sell him or just travel him alone which isn't really an answer for me as I have two children :(

Mooseontheloose

Visit site
You may find that with a solid partition a horse that big will find it difficult to balance and may have other issues as a result. I'd use hobbles! A lot of professional transporters use them, properly fitted and correctly used they can work a treat.

SusieT

Visit site
I wouldnt travel any other horses with this horse unless a compartment separates them - not worth a broken leg (possiblly a three horse trailer might work?)