Ifor Williams Trailers - how do you find them?

clarenz

New User
Visit site
I am considering buyingan Ifor Williams, 505 (basic 16.2 double trailer), but I live in NZ and as it is a 7 hr trip to the dealer, I thought I would buy the trailer UNSEEN (eek). Now, Ifor Williams were always good trailers when I was young and horsey, so I assume they still are, but what do you all think???? Does the front unload work better for a nervous handler? (me) Does the central partition get in the way?
I would love any feed back, thanks
grin.gif

ihatework

Visit site
They are good solid trailers and I would have no hesitation in buying a new or nearly new unseen from a dealer.
I think (but stand to be corrected) that all the IW trailers are now rear load and front unload, however that is not to say you couldn't rear unload if you so wished.
The newer models have what is known as split swing partitions - this means the central partition is literally a pole in the middle and the partitions pivot around it making loading and unloading a lot easier.

flyingfeet

Visit site
If buying unseen - make sure you get an aluminum floor. The Ifors have had a few faults with their wooden floors which have killed a number of horses.

The front unload works really well and gives lots of light to encourage the horse into the trailer. I find the partitions no problem with my current horses, but you can put a single bar across the trailer and remove the partition if preferred.

clarenz

New User
Visit site
thanks, yes it is a front unload, and has a central pole - does this come out or is it a permament fixture? It is definitely an aluminium floor, the trailers are shipped out from the UK so they are the UK specification.
It's sounding good so far ..
smile.gif

pottamus

Visit site
If you are looking to buy a pretty new one (up to 3 years old) then the entire central partition and pole comes out. I travel my horse with no partition in my Ifor 505 and it has been a brilliant buy. I use mine every week.
The only thing I would recommend is that you don't buy the white one - I have one and all Ifor's seem to streak terribly when it rains and the streaks do not come off for all the tea in China! So get yourself a coloured one as they will look tidier for longer. Also, the red one seems to fade after a few years. But I would not hesitate to have another one.

welshpony

Visit site
Just to make a point, you've probably already considered this, but we have a 505 and my horse, who's 16.1 is really too big for this trailer, there isn't enough headroom and he's not happy coming out of the front - we have to back him out.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
I have a 505 (with alu floor & 3 windows) and I'm very pleased with it. My horse (1m66=16.2) loads without fuss or bother at all at the rear and unloads very calmly at the front. Seeing what trouble other people have had with rotting plywood floored trailers, the aluminum floor is a huge advantage.
I would not hesitate to get another Ivor.

clarenz

New User
Visit site
I'm worried that welshpony find the 505 too low as my mare is spooky. But there are no other front unloads here. Should the front unload be easier on a horse that hates loading?

freckles22uk

www.foxykeepsakes.co.uk
Hi, ive got a 505, had it 5 years now, and I love it, (it has ali floor and front unload) my biggest horse is 16hh and has no problems in it, we even bought it over to Spain with us when we emigrated here, im so glad we did not sell it,
I always feel my horses are really safe and secure in it,

though mine is frount unload, I still reverse mine the horses out the back to unload, as I find with 2 horses in it, there is not much room for the horse nearest the front door to get out the front,

2 of my horses dont like loading, so last week I did a loading lesson with them, once I had got them in once I had them going through it about 30 times each!! i had it all opened up and just kept walking them though it, they were great.

would I buy another,Yes

jenny