Ignoring aural plaque...

Charlie007

Visit site
......is this still the best advice?? My boy had aural plaque when I bought him and it has not bothered him in the 7 months I have had him. Tonight when tacking up I noticed he was in a bit of discomfort when I put the bridle over that ear. I then tried to touch in his ear and he was sore. Any advice please? Thank you.

shadowboy

Visit site
I've just sold a rising 5 year old who's had aural plaques since he was 18months. They've never caused problems and on vetting they were mentioned but vet said they were absolutely no issue as horse didn't react at all to them (we even clip his ears) and told new owner to leave them well alone.

Charlie007

Visit site
I haven't trimmed his ears in the hope the fluff would help keep any little flies out if his ears!! I just wondered if I should be doing something as they seemed sore tonight for the first time :(

Garnet

Visit site
My old boy had aural plaques from when I got him as a 5yo until he died aged 28 and they never caused a moment's trouble. Leave well alone and don't be tempted to fiddle as they can get sore if they get knocked or otherwise disturbed. You are right to leave hair inside the ears as protection.

HelenS

Visit site
My mare had them most of her life, and her son has them now. He also has mixed sarcoids which are being treated, but I've been told (by Prof Knottenbelt) to leave the aural plaques alone. I only ever trim the edge of his ears, never inside.

whizzer

Visit site
My horse had them when I bought him at 2 yrs old,he's 20 now & they're just the same. I've never fiddled with them or attempted any treatment. He will not tolerate certain things,to bridle him I have to drop the headpiece over his ears,undo the bit to put it in his mouth then do it back up. He'll tolerate things being pulled over them such as bibs,hoods etc & will wear flymasks with ears on & gets ridden in a fly bonnet in summer due to his headshaking(unrelated to the plaques).He trusts me to clip & trim them as long as I don't touch them too much! They've never been a problem really & it wouldn't put me off buying another with them.

whizzer

Visit site
My mare had them most of her life, and her son has them now. He also has mixed sarcoids which are being treated, but I've been told (by Prof Knottenbelt) to leave the aural plaques alone. I only ever trim the edge of his ears, never inside.
That's interesting,mine had sarcoids as well as the plaques. Wonder if it's related?

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
both seem to be spread by flies at least. My old horse had them for 2/3 years-I just made sure he always wore a fly mask for several years with ears and they went away eventually. He didn't have sarcoids.

KautoStar1

Visit site
there is some suggestion that diets high in starch can have an effect on these, so might be worth reviewing what you feed and if possible cut the starch content.

smja

Visit site
I was wondering this too - v. similar to yours OP, has had plaque for years (sarcoids too) but seems to be bothering more now when putting bridle on.

My vet uncle was visiting at the weekend, saw him and advised to leave well alone.