Iirish cob x tb? Pics?

Wondering has anyone bred a black irish cob with a thoroughbred? I have a black cob mare 15hh very heavy looking to breed her with a tb stallion. In your experience is it a good or bad combination? Would be eventually broken for hunting mainly. Here is a pic of her and her 4 month old filly taken a few months back. By palomino dw

Attachments

paddi22

I have two that would be along the lines of that cross and to be honest, both have the most random wonky conformation. One has big cob shoulders and absolutely no bum - has taken me years to get him strong enough behind for any kind of self carraige. The other has a barrelly cob body and tiny twiggy little tb legs, she looks like two different horses stuck together. I didn't breed them, but my best guess would be they got the worst of both parents!

you could get something lovely, but id say it's a bit of a lottery!

HeyMich

Isn't an ISH a cob x tb? If that's the case, then there's hundreds of them!

Mine is an ISH, but I'm thinking she'd more ID x tb than cob. Mind you, she must have got her tobiano colouring from a cob along the way!

Pic of the hairy beast from earlier this year...

DSC_0582.JPG

paddi22

the main thing is you are crossing two body types who were bred for totally different things.

this is one of mine - she is very fit in this, so she looks less barrelly than normal, but her top half is a wide barrel cob part that takes a 6'3 rug for a 14h pony. and then the legs are these short little twiggy things that need extra small boots for everything. From her tb side she has amazing natural fitness, very sharp and clever and athletic. Her cob side has made her hardy and a good doer. She has a big strong cob personality though, but combined with that tb sharpness she definitely wouldn't be everyones cup of tea.

Attachments

Thanks for the replies guys. If its a lottery like you say I think I'll play it safe and go with either a 15.2 strawberry roan cob or a 16hh black cob. A guy I know has both. Another option would be an ID. She is currently in foal to a 16.3h ID by Ard Grandpa.