Iirish cob x tb? Pics?

Versatile

New User
Visit site
Wondering has anyone bred a black irish cob with a thoroughbred? I have a black cob mare 15hh very heavy looking to breed her with a tb stallion. In your experience is it a good or bad combination? Would be eventually broken for hunting mainly. Here is a pic of her and her 4 month old filly taken a few months back. By palomino dw

Attachments

• rps20181206_112214.jpg
    rps20181206_112214.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 25

paddi22

Visit site
I have two that would be along the lines of that cross and to be honest, both have the most random wonky conformation. One has big cob shoulders and absolutely no bum - has taken me years to get him strong enough behind for any kind of self carraige. The other has a barrelly cob body and tiny twiggy little tb legs, she looks like two different horses stuck together. I didn't breed them, but my best guess would be they got the worst of both parents!

you could get something lovely, but id say it's a bit of a lottery!

HeyMich

Visit site
Isn't an ISH a cob x tb? If that's the case, then there's hundreds of them!

Mine is an ISH, but I'm thinking she'd more ID x tb than cob. Mind you, she must have got her tobiano colouring from a cob along the way!

Pic of the hairy beast from earlier this year...

DSC_0582.JPG

paddi22

Visit site
the main thing is you are crossing two body types who were bred for totally different things.

this is one of mine - she is very fit in this, so she looks less barrelly than normal, but her top half is a wide barrel cob part that takes a 6'3 rug for a 14h pony. and then the legs are these short little twiggy things that need extra small boots for everything. From her tb side she has amazing natural fitness, very sharp and clever and athletic. Her cob side has made her hardy and a good doer. She has a big strong cob personality though, but combined with that tb sharpness she definitely wouldn't be everyones cup of tea.

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 37

minesadouble

Visit site
Not quite the breeding combination you asked for but this little mare is by a very heavy traditional coloured stallion out of a TB mare.

Attachments

• 0E820BA3-7402-4989-98B8-4B16239502C8.png
    0E820BA3-7402-4989-98B8-4B16239502C8.png
    588 KB · Views: 33

Versatile

New User
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys. If its a lottery like you say I think I'll play it safe and go with either a 15.2 strawberry roan cob or a 16hh black cob. A guy I know has both. Another option would be an ID. She is currently in foal to a 16.3h ID by Ard Grandpa.

Mule

Visit site
My horse's sire is a flat racer and his dam was an ISH. He's a very athletic horse but unfortunately his legs are a bit skinny and he has really flat feet 😀

AdorableAlice

Visit site
nmdtgx.jpg

Mare is 15h, straight moving and old fashioned type.

Foal by RID Avanti Amorous Archie
16a8dc6.jpg

16a8dc6.jpg

2nd foal by TB National Hunt bred stallion Shining Spirit.

2ymevsj.jpg

n4wrwj.jpg

6703gg.jpg

AdorableAlice

Visit site
It is Elle, Dim Tim is also known as Numb Nut at the moment. He is 5 now and has been roughed off to mature. As you can see he is taking the word 'rough' very seriously.

2rep5zl.jpg

He is a sensitive soul who is forever in need of rescuing ..........He has a tendency to chew the rails so we tape them. Appears the power was off when he decided to try to hang himself.

2wpqnaf.jpg

This was taken in the summer. He is just a big weak baby. He is a funny sort, able to learn ridden lessons really quickly and enjoys his work, but in his free time he is forever breaking things, falling over and generally being dim !

wvpbo0.jpg