I'm a proud owner of a pure bred clyde!

cblover

Visit site
Hi peeps, sadly it didn't work out with my Irish Draught. She's was the most perfect horse to look at and the most beautiful animal I have ever seen but she had an ongoing physical problem and her breeder was very responsible and took her back. I was sad to see her go but it was the right thing.

Anyway, virtually on my door step I was introduced to a pure bred clyde mare Fordelhill Mary Anne and on Monday she arrived to my home. She's impressed me very much in such a short space of time...so calm and friendly, really tidy in her stables and just peace itself! Here she is.........

For a clydesdale she is quite small, only 16hh but big enough for me. Her sire is the world famous Collessie Cut Above. She's been shown in hand and under saddle, although her ridden work really needs worked on. I'm fine with that, thats my project for next year. She loads and travels like a dream too. I feel lucky to have found her and will cherish her very much.

Greylegs

Visit site
What a scrum my girl. How old is she? Looking forward to more updates.

ETA ... you're going to have your work cut out keeping those feathers pristine, but totally worth the effort.

cblover

Visit site
I know. Some elbow grease needed for those. I can assure you she doesn't look that clean at the minute. lol She's 5, so just a lovely age for me I think.

cblover

Visit site
Thanks everyone, she's a real sweetie. Collessie Cut Above is sadly no longer with us but he was amazing. I'm looking forward to the rain easing off, the fields drying up and having some fun with her. Could be a while!! Lol.

hollyandivy123

Visit site
from experience you have another 2-3 years of growth, my heavy cross went from 6.3" rugs to 7.3" and out of most normal treed saddles and up 3 inches! so step ladder needed!

lovely by the way

Tnavas

Visit site
Congratulations - you've bought the best breed in the world - and believe it or not your girl is really the correct size for a Clydesdale mare.

Originally they were never meant to be enormous but a handy draft horse that the farmer could use to work the fields, pull the cart to market and church and for the odd day of hunting.

In the last couple odd decades the Americans introduced Shire into the line to increase height and at the same time introduced Clydesdale into the Shire line to improve feather quality.

You may also find that you will have a very small feed bill if one at all, mine lives on the smell of an oily rag. She too is 16hh and I show her under saddle and in hand. She is bred from old working stock lines. Because of our isolation New Zealand has some of the purest stock in the world.

Your girl is lovely and a tip for the feather is Curash baby powder - made into a paste and applied once you've scrubbed and rinsed the feather, allow to dry and then brush out.

Here is a pic or two of my beautiful girl
SerenityAllBreeds2008full.jpg

HorseoftheYear2012037.jpg

cedar

Visit site
Congratulations. She is beautiful. I have a pure bred Clyde gelding by collessie cut above. Though he is slightly larger at 18.1hh. They have fantastic temperaments.

Good luck

Makemineacob

Visit site
Absolutely stunning. Had a shire x who was an absolute nutcase but loved him to bits,move the heavies and I would love to have a Clyde so very jealous :) Hope you have so much fun with her she really is lovely.

Morag4

Visit site
Cingratulations hun, i have a pure Clydesdale he is a dream, best breed ever, you will have sooo much fun.
As for size and age, my lad has grown approximately 3 inches this year, he will be 6 in April, so i suspect your lass has quite a bit of growing to do, i can heartly recommend the Youngmans Oddjob Step for all grooming of high places :)

cblover

Visit site
Thank you everyone. Her stable name is Mez. I live in cumbria and I'm sure you're aware how difficult things are here, so keeping her clean is just not possible. I got off lightly in the floods but my fields are soaking and every step she takes is turning into mud. Small price to pay and I feel very fortunate.

I've been talking to some proper clydesdale people who also said she is the size Clyde's used to be before the showing world introduced even more height. I'm sure she'll change shaped over the next year or so, but I'm not fussed about getting anymore height.

She was keen to condition in tonight and she's just so content. I couldn't be happier. X

Achinghips

Visit site
Welcome to Clydeworld! I have a 17.2hh 5 year old mare I bought a few months ago as well, she is a gentle bubba ! Same colour as yours. Alarmed to read other posts saying there's more growing to do though ! Yikes !

windand rain

Visit site
Lovely girl and a wonderful breed my first event horse was a clydie x arab a talented in the extreme and beautiful with it
7c5df15e-7f6c-432c-96b1-1817d5ee9879_zps9ce09872.jpg

bd557534-321b-47fd-9381-02fab968baec_zpsa6e35ace.jpg

sorry about the lack of hat but these photos are 45 years old and if was more common then to ride without

cblover

Visit site
I much prefer a wide horse to a slim one. My previous cob was as wide as she was tall and I loved that. I felt safe on here and boy did she have some power!

Annagain

Visit site
She looks lovely. Hope you have many happy years with her.

It's also good to hear of a breeder / vendor acting responsibly as they did with your ID. I'm sure there are many other good stories out there, but we only really hear the bad ones. Well done them.