I'm considering a trailer!

9tails

Visit site
I've got the tow vehicle, I'd need to pay to store the trailer (£30 a month) but I'm thinking it would make sense to get one rather than hire. Even though hires are new Ifor Williams at £30 a day.

Funds are tight, so it'd be a fixer-upper. Horse is a 16.1 Gelderlander, loads well but then stamps. I'm veering towards something like an old Sinclair and replacing the floor with 30mm boards with marine ply on top with rubber matting. Am I mad to get a wooden floor or do you think this would give her a better ride than an ally floor? Tow vehicle is a SWB Shogun so good to tow 2.5ton and she's 600kg.

I've seen this one, It needs a couple of boards, two tyres have been replaced and all the electrics work. What do you think?

http://www.preloved....se-trailer.html

jeeve

Visit site
wooden floor should last approx 10 years, so not mad, if you can shed your trailer, probably longer.

How often do you plan to go out with your trailer, how available are the hire trailers, i would prefer to own my own, but you should cost the two options out. It may be better to hire short term and save for a better float.

trailers also tend to hold their value reasonably well, so you have something you could sell at the end if you buy one

Kat

Visit site
You could also consider hiring by the season, that way you could still have a brand new trailer, and have it serviced by the hire company but you would potentially get better value for money. Might be better than buying a very old trailer.

But have a good browse on ebay and so on you might find a bargain.

9tails

Visit site
I can't shed it, but would be able to keep it in tiptop condition by checking it practically every day. I think if I had it, I'd use it fairly regularly. Horse is a numpty traveller at the moment but I think that can be overcome with frequent trips out.

Hire trailers are readily available though not so prolific in show season (I'm not wanting one to show, just for beach trips, a bit of dressage, new hacking etc). They're about 20 miles away so a trip there and back, then another to drop it off. Cost of fuel over here is prohibitive at the moment, wagon does about 20mpg so 4 gallons to collect and return!

9tails

Visit site
Thanks Kat, my needs aren't really seasonal-based though. I'm currently scouring eBay but the good ones all seem to be in Cheshire, a bit too far from Essex.

Kat

Visit site
Thanks Kat, my needs aren't really seasonal-based though. I'm currently scouring eBay but the good ones all seem to be in Cheshire, a bit too far from Essex.

Doesn't matter, if you will use it more than x number of times a month/year it will be better value to hire on a seasonal/yearly/monthly basis. Ask your hire company for prices before you decide what to do, also google for a few other hire options, on long term hire it would be worth travelling further as it would be less frequent trips to return/collect.

If you decide to buy you just need to keep your eye out locally for any good deals. Keep an eye on ebay, preloved, horsequest etc, also pick up the local free horse magazine and check the small ads and look at notice boards at the local tack shop, competition venue etc. Be prepared to travel a bit for the right trailer, and to move fast if a good one comes up.

ROG

Visit site
Probably a bit of useless info if you have one but ....Using a Shogun for towing a horse trailer requires a B+E licence due to the high GVW

dafthoss

Visit site
My rice came from ebay with a 10 years service history and a full refurb 3 years before. Worth keeping an eye out as it was under 1k.

MissChaos

Visit site
My rice came from ebay with a 10 years service history and a full refurb 3 years before. Worth keeping an eye out as it was under 1k.

:eek: *Falls off chair*

Hadn't thought I'd consider Rices these days but as OH's hopefully vehicle-to-be is a 3.7l Cherokee - after reading this... hm.

Shipley

Visit site
Im sellin my trailer as my boy has not got the hang of travelling in it, I would hire one untill you are sure he will travel - wish i did as now having to sell to get a lorry

9tails

Visit site
Mine starts the drumming while it's stationary, she manages to stay quiet while she's doing a poo so I suspect it's nerves

dafthoss

Visit site
:eek: *Falls off chair*

Hadn't thought I'd consider Rices these days but as OH's hopefully vehicle-to-be is a 3.7l Cherokee - after reading this... hm.

We tow ours with dads defender but its also been towed by a honda crv absoultley fine although admittedly only short journeys.

Only snag is its poo brown but it does the job and is easily spotted in the lorry park :p. Pony travels well in it but did take one journey to get used to it after always traveling in a hired ifor, he sweated up lots which he doesnt normally do and hasnt since. We decided it was cheaper to buy our own than hire all the time as at £30 a time it soon adds up and it means I can decide to go out at short notice and its paid us back already in saved hire costs.

MissChaos

Visit site
Couldn’t give a monkey’s if it’s luminous green with orange stripes as long as it’s safe and functional :D

That’s interesting; thanks for expanding. Have to say I hadn’t discounted Rices on any greater basis other than I haven’t known anyone with one in about ten years. Both of the ones we had when I was a kid were Rices and I remembered Ifors as more ‘modern’. Definitely some Ebay research looming, tho God knows I can’t actually do anything about it for a while longer :(

sychnant

Visit site
I've just bought a Rice - 20 years old but has been well looked after. Freshly painted, everything works how it should, takes 2 x 17hh. The floor is the original one and perfectly fine, although I will replace it just because I'm paranoid and will feel safer if I know it's new.

Was reduced for £1,500 originally. I paid £950. The bargains are out there!

BigRed

Visit site
If you are going to cover a wooden floor with rubber, you need to make sure you lift the rubber to let the floor dry, otherwise the rubber will keep the wood wet/damp and encourage problems. make sure you sweep the floor well and don't leave poo or damp staff in there. I had a very sound old rice with a wooden floor and rubber on top. I used mine x2 every week. I loved it, but the ramps were heavy, so I upgraded to a newer Ifor which has lighter ramps.

9tails

Visit site
So you reckon no rubber, BigRed? I didn't use bedding in the Ifor with rubber, but probably would use wood pellets in my own and they can all be brushed straight out.

Oberon

Visit site
I have a 2004, IW401 (single trailer) for the Tank.

I got it fully serviced and all the catches new from Barlow Trailers for £1800.

It doesn't have a front ramp though.

meesha

Visit site
Friends horse used to stamp try travelling without boots or bandage instead, friend changed boots using and problem sorted !

perfect11s

Visit site
I've got the tow vehicle, I'd need to pay to store the trailer (£30 a month) but I'm thinking it would make sense to get one rather than hire. Even though hires are new Ifor Williams at £30 a day.

Funds are tight, so it'd be a fixer-upper. Horse is a 16.1 Gelderlander, loads well but then stamps. I'm veering towards something like an old Sinclair and replacing the floor with 30mm boards with marine ply on top with rubber matting. Am I mad to get a wooden floor or do you think this would give her a better ride than an ally floor? Tow vehicle is a SWB Shogun so good to tow 2.5ton and she's 600kg.

I've seen this one, It needs a couple of boards, two tyres have been replaced and all the electrics work. What do you think?

http://www.preloved....se-trailer.html

Please Do not use any bare ply including marine as it will rot and isnt sutible for trailer or lorry floors , use the phenol resin ply wisa deck etc it isnt much more than ply but will last in wet conditions and is hardwearing too ... its an urban myth that marine ply is something special .....please avoid I realy dont ever want to read or hear of a horse going thru a floor ....

Tilda

Visit site
Shame your horse is 16.1 OP I have a rice trailer with a brand new floor for sale for under £1000 and am in Northamptonshire so slightly closer than Cheshire but it is really only for up to 16hh although we did have a 16.2hh TB in it for an emergency short journey!

9tails

Visit site
Please Do not use any bare ply including marine as it will rot and isnt sutible for trailer or lorry floors , use the phenol resin ply wisa deck etc it isnt much more than ply but will last in wet conditions and is hardwearing too ... its an urban myth that marine ply is something special .....please avoid I realy dont ever want to read or hear of a horse going thru a floor ....

Me neither! I plan to have a floor so sturdy that a herd of rampaging elephants won't leave a dent in it.

Do you think hardwood planks under the phenol resin play would be best or would they be too brittle?

9tails

Visit site
Shame your horse is 16.1 OP I have a rice trailer with a brand new floor for sale for under £1000 and am in Northamptonshire so slightly closer than Cheshire but it is really only for up to 16hh although we did have a 16.2hh TB in it for an emergency short journey!

Sorry I didn't respond to this, she's definitely 16.1 and a full up one at that so it'd be too small :(