Im in shock . . . .

natz

Visit site
Just had a phone call from one of my good friends, her 5 year old mare has just died after emergency colic surgery. Jolene was kept on the eventing yard where I work, and was one of the nicest horses I have worked with in a long time. Fay (my friend) has been through such a lot with this mare, and has certainly had her fair share of bad luck. Some of you may remember me posting a few months ago about one of the girls on the yard getting trampled by one of the horses that was in for breaking . . . well that was fay. She has overcome a huge head injury, and re-gained her confidence around horses so quickly, and now this. Her and Jolene had just started going out to dressage comps. after months of hard work at home, and fair play to both of them, they were doing so blo*dy well.

Jolene was perfectly fine on tuesday night, but we found her down with mild colic yesterday morning, had the vet up to the yard 3 times yesterday, and she seemed to get better. But by 9.30pm last night she was worse again, so decided to take her to Kearns and Rae equine hosp. she arrived at midnight last night.
Seemed better this morn, but then rushed in to surgery this afternoon . . and didnt recover. I really cant believe it, such a sad loss and all happened so quickly.
frown.gif

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Colic scares the hell out of me
frown.gif
I've also lost a mare to colic several years ago and she went downhill scarily fast. When we arrived at the hospital she seemed ok, was still alert and very much *herself*. An hour later they put her to sleep
frown.gif

I feel so so sorry for your poor friend, particularly at this time of year and after such a bad year. It always seems to be the people who really adore their horses who lose them in such unjust ways.

Thoughts go out to her and sleep soundly Jolene
frown.gif

alfirules

Visit site
RIP jolene, and it must be very hard for your friend at the moment, i hope she copes with it. it must be very shocking and upsetting.

Enfys

Visit site
How awful. I am so very sorry to read this.

This is the 3rd horse I've read about being pts on here this morning
frown.gif
horrible for everyone.