Im making a false section of mane!! I need help

Keltic

Visit site
My traditional cob has lost about 6 inches of mane right in the middle of her neck due to rug rub, she was completely bald but we now have a couple of inches of hair and im applying Megatek everyday.

My mate hogged her cob so i have lots of mane to make a false piece all i need to do is pinch a few grey hairs from my yo's coloured, she has given me permision! so wont be suprised with a few bald patches lol
grin.gif

I have been working out how to make it any ideas? My thought at the moment is to glue it to a thin piece of ribbon and somehow fasten underneath to the mane that is her own either side of bald area and flatten the section that is growing to blend it in??

miss_c

Visit site
I'll be watching as well! Somebody I know suggested 'wrapping' it in, you know, with the hair being attached by wrapping thin cotton around the hair on the underneath of the mane, like everybody used to get done when they went away to Ibiza or somewhere like that! Haven't tried it myself.

Vizslak

Visit site
i think i would be making very small plaits out of existing mane and sewing the other mane into the top of the plaits if that makes sense?! no idea if that will work though!

Keltic

Visit site
If I wrapped it would it be sort of permanent? or can yo do it temporary? think it needs to be detachable so i can take it off at home and keep applying the megatek etc!!

miss_c

Visit site
I think to get the wrapping out you just have to unwind the cotton... Not sure how it would work, it was just suggested to me to do!
laugh.gif

teresagarsden

Visit site
Hi all, Im not sure if this will help with larger sections of mane but here goes.
I have hair extentions (for me not the horse) but they come with these great clips that are small and very secure and you can get them in any colour. But they will attach even to the smallest sections of hair/mane. these can be sewn to a strip of small holed mesh ( again any colour) and you stitch the hair to the mesh via a sewing machine.
Each section could easily have a clip at 1inch sections so it should keep it secure to the crest.
I do hope this makes sense, i will se if i can find the clips on the web and let you all know what i find.
Also shouldnt cost more than a few quid.
I think i may have just come up with a business idea ( off i go to Dragons Den!)
Please ask more questions if this makes no scense what so ever.
Teresa

cronkmooar

Visit site
ok - here goes i hope I can make myself understood!

The megatek really does help it seems to make the hair stronger - you can also water it down to make it go further.

to make plaits

grab large chunk of mane hair from donor horse - sufficient to make a plait - don't make it too thick or it wont stay together.

Stitch together at the top like you would the end of a normal plait but go round and round lots and very tightly - when you are finished it should be strong enough to do a really tight plait. Plait all the way down and finish off the bottom the same as the top - really tightly. Trim the ends straight

Do as many of these as you need - i have three.

Go to horse and plait the two inches of mane you have as normal and sew to finish (dont roll leave hanging down)

This is where i might confuse you:

Stitch the false plait to the plait on the horse like you would a seam on material ie so the stitching is underneath and you have a flat join on the top - stitch it well and tight.

You will then have a plait hanging down - roll up and finish in the usual way with thread. Take care not to break or damage those precious two inches

Don't try this with bands they will not hold

The false plaits will be thiner/smaller than if you had full mane - but you can get them to look quite good with a bit of practise

If you are just going to a local show don't bother save your new growth for a large show - just get some hairspray and a small round brush and curl you two inches over.

Hope this is some help

teresagarsden

Visit site
He he found some. Try www.1stophair.com
I have no idea how to add a link sorry peeps!
But at least these will give you an idea its the clips not the rings though. they snap shut and hold strong. and they sell just the clips as well.
Let me know how you all get on.
Teresa

Keltic

Visit site
Thats brilliant, i might have a go at plaiting my old girl if i take her as she has also lost her mane!! Both girls were wearing the same type of rug!! Ive not taken her out to a show as she is missing even more mane than my other!! Hmm just need a chestnut victim that fancies a hog!!
grin.gif

My other horse who i show is a traditional cob with about a 10 inch mane!! so dont fancy plaiting that!!
grin.gif

cronkmooar

Visit site
Best bit of advice - which I have obviously ignored is buy a rug without a neck - we never had them years ago and nothing died!

Its not just the rubbing of the hair that is the problem it is the lack of oxygen i plaited up for a show at christmas (i had a full mane for a matter of weeks!) and the next morning one of the sections of one plait had come out at the roots.

My falsies are now three years old - the lovely chestnut donor for me didn't loose all her mane we just cut about half the thickness of the mane as close to the roots as possible half the way down.

As she was a retired m & m she didn't miss it and had it back in no time.

One other thing in case anyone is interested is dont use tail hair it doesn't work

Keltic

Visit site
Combo rugs are a nightmare!! ive gone back to 3/4 necks instead!! Not sure what ill do next year probably stick with a 3/4 and not a full neck.

lauraandjack

Visit site
I have been using a normal rug with clip on neck (with nylon lining) all winter on my sec D and he has come through the winter with mane intact (apart from some spiky bits where I got a bit close with the clippers - oops). Yes it blows a bit in the wind and does let a bit of rain in but it kept him acceptably clean, warm and dry while sporting a full body clip.