I'm organising a sponsored ride...

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
I've decided to organise a sponsored ride to raise money for Diebetes UK as it has had a huge effect on my family. I am wanting to organise it in the Lake District.

My only trouble is.. I don't know where to start with it.
Whether to do a two day and see if we can find a yard/B&B in the middle of the ride to stay over night, or do a one day circuit.
How many miles would you normally expect in a sponsored ride?

I know I have to inform please etc.

Any information would be appreciated, and tea and biscuits for everyone who replies ;)

Ranyhyn

Visit site
If it's your first pop at organising, I'd go for a one day stint. It's amazing how much work there is involved in organising it and you might bite off more than you can feasibly chew :)

I wouldn't mind how far I went, I would just expect a varying terrain and a chance of a canter.

I organised a sponsored beach ride around 5/6 years ago. It was my first go at it and it went quite well. I first planned my route, informed people I needed to (at that time I didnt have an ambulance/paramedic but I think it might have been prudent to!!) I hired a field for the day for parking. I bought rosettes for all the entrants. I then set up advertising. Collecting and counting the money was hard but in the end I think we had about £500 for a local dog rescue, I was really chuffed.

Cons
People will lie about their ability and/or their control of their horse
People will overestimate their control
People will turn up late/get lost
Accidents will happen
The one thing you forget, will be the one thing you needed to do

benson21

Visit site
I organise The Great Chart Happy Hack, we are just 2 weeks away from our 8th ride. we raise money for kent Air Ambulance and so far have given just over 11k.
We have it on just 1 day, its around 8 miles through stubble fields.
Our normal average numbers are around 200. they ride in between 9 and 2, I dont give start times as it makes it more relaxed for them to turn up when they want.
Not sure if thats the sort of thing you are thinking about, good cause though, seeing that I am diabetic!!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I don't have any advice as I've never done something like that, but I think it's a great idea, good luck with it. I'd offer to help or certainly at least pitch up and ride it if you weren't literally on the opposite side of the country from me.

EstherYoung

Visit site
Definitely go for a one dayer if it's your first time organising.

A few tips:
- Insurance. 3rd party insurance for yourself as organiser is a must. It will cover you if someone decides to sue you because of an accident they have had on the ride, or if one of your helpers hurts themselves. If you find insurance hard to get, it might be worth teaming up with your local BHS, EGB or bridleways group to organise the ride. That way you get experienced backup and can use their insurance, and you can add a bit on to the entry for the charitable donation.
- Risk assessments. You'll need to check out the route and work out where you need additional stewards, marking or warnings. You'll also need to have a plan of action in case there is an accident off road somewhere, particularly if you are looking at going somewhere remote.
- Permissions. You'll need to let the landowners know that you're running the ride on any bridleways, and negotiate access to any permissive bits. If you get the landowners on side they may move stock and let you leave gates open.
- Helpers. You will need some, both to mark, de-mark, and on the day.
- Communication. You will need to check whether there are any mobile blackspots on the route, and whether there is good mobile reception where you are intending to put the checkpoints. We use Raynet or Revcom for our big rides or where mobile reception is iffy. They come and use our rides as a training exercise, but their presence means that we have direct access to the emergency services radio network if we need it. In a crisis they are invaluable.
- Entry numbers. Be realistic about the number of entries you can accept and stick to it.
- Contingencies. If there is a problem with the venue or the weather or the route, will you have any options for changing or altering it?

Orangehorse

Visit site
Esther is spot on with her advice, 100% agree with all that.

The way to raise the most money is to appeal to the most people, which is about 2 1/2 - 3 hour ride, not for a couple of days!

You will need helps to waymark the route beforehand, and vitally important, someone going round at the end to mop up anyone and to remove the waymarks.

You will need to give out numbers to the riders and give them a contact number, plus you will need a telephone number for them, in case they get lost. And you would be surprised how they can get lost.

You need to have a system of checking people back in, so that you know they all safely returned.

Jade&Syrah

Visit site
Thank guys!! I've got a few ideas in mind, this was one of them. Another would be me and a few friends riding two a destination in so many hours/days etc to raise money. Trying to way up which one would be better! :)

benson21

Visit site
we raise around 2.5k each ride, if you think you could get sponsered for 2 of you doing a ride that would possibly take less organising. The first couple of rides I organised it was tough going, but now, it just takes care of itself! Not saying its easy, just not as difficult as it was in the beginning. Like i say, onlyy 2 weeks to go, beginning to get a bit twitchy now because none of the fields have been cut yet!!!!!

Liane

Visit site
Check out my post further down on 'Incredible Challenge', the girls is riding from John O' Groats to Lands End with out a support team!!

zaminda

Visit site
One of the sponsored rides I did, made everyone sign something saying they understood they would be going over a variety of terrain, and that people would be passing them. It sounds silly, but you do need to cover yourself!

Brontie

Visit site
One of the events i've been too had a stand by emergency vet which is something worth considering. Also had stewards where needed and had 2/3 main stewards at checkpoints who radioed back riders numbers so base could keep an eye on roughly where each rider was. Each rider got a tag for their saddle with contact numbers on and a sticker for the rider. Also worth riding the route first, and getting a rough timing so you know if a rider is taking a while or goes missing on route you know it doesnt take an hour from route a to b. It's lost of hard work but I imagine very rewarding when you get it cracked!