I'm Shortlisting Livery Yards

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Following on from yesterdays post I am shortlisting Livery yards now so it seems like I will move.

I am still researching yards should I wait until I have a definitive list before I do visits?

So do I be honest with myself and start buying feed scoops forks etc now especially as I am going to Badminton.

So far on my list (manege is currently highest on my list after turnout I dont hack a lot):

Yard 1 :- Good hacking, Manege DIY or Part available, all year turnout is a stud as well as Livery

Yard2 :- Not so good hacking,Manege, all year turnout in individual paddocks but onnly does liveries so is set up specifically for them.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I wouldn't bother compiling a list, by the time you've done that you'll probably find that any vacancies have been taken. Also reading about yards & what they have to offer is one thing but in reality you need to actually to & view as in the flesh they are sometimes vastly different & not what you envisaged.

As for buying things, you'll need to but get as much as you can from other places rather than saddlers as you pay a premium there. Good Luck with the move.
smile.gif

Cliqmo

Visit site
You sound excited about the move, which is great
laugh.gif
I would have a look as soon as you hear of the vacancy or it could get snapped up!

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I agree with T_Z - go and look at them. It really is the only way to get a 'feel' for a yard - ask as many questions as you can think of, if they don't show you remember to ask to see the turnout, stables, fed room, tack room etc I would also try and visit when liveries are there - ie weekends or in the evening as that way you can see what it is like when it is 'working' and also get to see the age of the other livieries etc.

Good luck - i'm sure you will find somehwere nice.
smile.gif

Flame_

Visit site
Make a basic list before you call of what a yard must have, then you're ruling out the odd wasted journey. Mine's

- All weather arena
- All year turnout (individual or very small, well matched groups)
- Staff that don't seem at all insane
- Lorry parking
- Good hacking
- Flexible services for when I'm home and working away
- No stupid restrictions on which vet, farrier, instructor etc to use

If they tick all your boxes over the phone, go and have a look round.

Plus talk to some liveries away from the staff, then if there are any negatives you should hear them and you can weigh up whether or not it will suit you.
smile.gif

Rana

Visit site
I made a list of yards in my area, then called them to check out facilities, turn out arrangements, vacancies etc., then went to visit the ones which ticked all the boxes.

Can strongly recommend a chat with your local feed merchant - they usually deliver to most of the yards in the area and will have a good idea what's what. Also, farriers are a useful source of info and often know the ins and outs of yards. I found mine through our local feed place - called the YO who seemed helpful and friendly, visited on the Thurs evening and moved on Sun morning
smile.gif

perryhillbay

Visit site
Have you had a look at Rowland Fernyhough's yard in Haresfield? I'm sure I remember you saying you were just off junction 13 of the M5? Rowland's is just off junction 12, so not too far.

Nice size stables, mahoosive indoor area which is very well managed, outdoor arena (but you have to oay extra for that), plenty of storage, excellent turnout, good hacking (should you fancy it). YO's on site and will do full/part livery should you require. Haylege and shavings available to buy on site... I loved that yard, just a shame I moved away.

Stay away from Commelines, just off junct. 11a. Not nice.

Hope this helps?

CBAnglo

Visit site
Write a list of all the things that you need as a bare minimum, ring all the yards and see which ones tick the most boxes. Then visit those. Make sure you ask the same questions again (funny how YOs give you different versions of "AYTO" when you are on the phone then you get to the yard and find the fields closed for 4 months of the year!)

As for buying things, well, all you really need is:
1. a couple of feed bins (everyone pretty much uses garbage bins from B&Q etc)
2. a couple of feed scoops (I make do with one stubbs scoop)
3. a fork and broom
4. a good wheelbarrow and maybe a skip bucket.

If you dont have feed buckets, then a couple of those with covers and some haynets if you use these, and a water bucket if dont have auto waterers. That's pretty much it. As said, most things can be bought online or from local tack shop and really there is only a couple of pounds difference in savings, so I would wait until you are sure you are moving and also sure about the yard etc (no point buying a water bucket if they have auto waterers or haynets if they have haybars etc).

Also, if they have mats down, you might prefer a plastic fork to metal, and if you are on shavings, a shavings fork rather than a straw fork etc. Also, if on shavings you can get away with a small wheelbarrow, but if on straw a big wheelbarrow is a must!

You will love being on DIY!

Flame_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
then I have to find out if they have vacancies and then visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be put off going if there aren't any vacancies, the best yards usually have a waiting list. Go and see them even if they are full and if you like any, get your name on the waiting list, then you have the option of pursuing it later if you move somewhere that turns out disappointing. Or you could find somewhere else less perfect as a stop gap until a place comes up at the best yard, which can take ages!
wink.gif

diggerbez

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
then I have to find out if they have vacancies and then visit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be put off going if there aren't any vacancies, the best yards usually have a waiting list. Go and see them even if they are full and if you like any, get your name on the waiting list, then you have the option of pursuing it later if you move somewhere that turns out disappointing. Or you could find somewhere else less perfect as a stop gap until a place comes up at the best yard, which can take ages!
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto this!
i would say look carefully at the menage seeing as schooling is such a priority- is it a nice surface that is going to stand the good old british weather well or will it flood every two minutes? also look at the turnout- just because they say "all year turnout" doesn't mean its actually true (trust me...my yard claimed this and in reality meant you could risk breaking horses legs in a 20x30m bog paddock for 6 months of the year
mad.gif
)

i'd also check out rules re:
- coming and going- are there opening times?
- use of the arena- is there a booking system for lessons and use or is it a free for all (if there is a diary have a look in it- will give you an idea if you can actually get in the school at times you ride)
- can you have own vet and farrier
- if theres a contract ask to have a look

i must have missed something- are you moving from private stables?
smile.gif

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
More than happy to oblige :-

Wisloe - I know the hacking is not great but it is acceptable individual turnout and manege. I had a look around it when Teasel was there. I know Sharon casually and she is very professional and I quite like the setup.

Mount Farm Livery and Stud - Hacking is better but dont know the yard or owner or how they manage turnout. The owner is Fay matthews but I dont know her.

I want a manege to school in and the guaranteed turn out mostly hacking comes 3rd.

I am getting quite silly and paranoid about this whole thing!

perryhillbay

Visit site
I haven't heard of Wisloe, but I have heard of Mount Farm.

I've never heard anything bad about that place - one of my friends had her mare there for a few months for dressage schooling and seemed to like it.

If you are looking in Haresfield though, it is worth looking at Rowland's maybe as it is just a tiny bit further on than Mount Farm from the motorway but it is cheaper for livery and has an indoor school so you can ride in all weathers? I can fully recommend Rowland's, I really liked it there. Everyone does their own thing and Rowland doesn't interfere unless you ask him for help. He and Ali are great for lessons as well.

Or, what about Richard Chapman's place in Frampton? They have an indoor too and competitions there if you like to compete. Turnout seems good and they have a really nice XC course if you're into that sort of thing? I've never kept a horse there though. The only down side that I see to the place is that there are a LOT of liveries there and I sometimes find that the smaller the place, the less bitchy it is.

Are you at Summerhouse at the moment?

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
The balance scales are complicated.

I have an added complication of ageing parents. An advantage of wisloe is its on its way to and from their house so on stressful days when I have baled them out of A & E yet again or have to get thier shopping the two can combine rather than going in the opposite direction.

I heard turnout wasnt always easy at Rowlands and that the school got busy ?

Richard Chapmans has too many liveries I want a small yard I am done up to the Gills with big.

I would ride in all weathers I used to before I got soft and old!!

perryhillbay

Visit site
They do have dog agility training some evenings at Rowlands in the indoor so the school gets booked, only a couple of evenings a week though in the winter, from about 7:30 onwards I think.

I never had issues with turnout - odd you should have heard that, I can't think why that would be.

I agree that Chapman's is too big, just thought I'd throw it in there for you.

Can't think of any others - sounds like Wisloe would be the best option for you then?

Best of luck!